main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should I bother with the Republic Commando books?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Boba Frett, Mar 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 21, 1999
    I'm debating whether or not I should get the Republic Commando books.

I normally read every adult-level Star Wars book that comes out, but these books are based on the videogame for the Xbox, ad besides, the clones all turn on the Jedi and themselves get replaced by Stormtroopers...

I just seem to be having a hard time caring about the series.

Also, they don't seem to have any impact on the events in the other more main books...

Thoughts?

2. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think the books are extremely well done and amongst the best EU of the clone wars.

3. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    Really? I mean, I loved the X-Wing series and the developments with that.

I was just uncertain whether or not I could care much about clones anymore after the last 4 years.

It would have ben interesting if one of the clones had ended up being force-sensitive.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    They're akin to a half-version of the Clancy novel Rainbow Six -- meaning it's about as close as you can get to good fictionalized squad-based commando/covert-ops combat writing without all of Clancy's techno-embellishments taking 400+ pages.

So, they're fantastic if you like that sort of thing and won't be if you don't. I do, so I dig 'em a lot usually... :)

5. cyris8400

cyris8400 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 15, 2006
    Well, if they signed Karen Traviss on to write one third of Legacy of the Force, her books on Republic Commando should be pretty good, correct?

Don't let the fact that it's based on a videogame fool you. It's good stuff. I haven't picked up Triple Zero yet, but I intend to.

6. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    I'm not a big fan of Clancy nor had I even played the game when I read
    RC:HC but I still loved it. Traviss combines very good characterization
    with action and suspense. I'd definitely recommend reading it, particularly if you don't mind novels were jedi and force tricks take a backseat like in the
    X-wing series. :)

I'm still waiting for RC:TZ. [face_frustrated]

7. Cynical

Cynical Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 5, 2004
    I'll just chip in and add my support to the notion that Hard Contact and Triple Zero are among the best star wars novels to date.

8. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    I think that Miss Traviss does a good job of individualizing the Clones involved. Furthermore, the implications are that Omega Squadron is very different from the average Jedi Hunting Clones that we've known.

9. r_steal

r_steal Jedi Youngling

Mar 29, 2005
    I haven't read Triple Zero yet (still on it's way from Amazon), but I highly suggest reading the first one, RC: Hard Contact. I found it powerful reading. Forget that it's a video game tie-in. I've never even played the game. But it packed an emotional impact I rarely feel in Star Wars literature.

And as far as character creation, I believe that the ones created by Traviss stack up to any EU characters created so far. They are dynamic, interesting, unique, and the crazy thing is, they are all clones of each other!!!

10. RogueWompRat

RogueWompRat Jedi Youngling star 4

Feb 15, 2003
    If you want endless Mandalorian fanservice, then yeah.

11. phantom_panther

phantom_panther Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 26, 2005
    I just finished Hard Contact last night and was quite pleased. It is the only RC book I've come across if there are others I would appreciate being given the Titles.

12. barabel_humour

barabel_humour Jedi Master star 4

Nov 14, 2005
    So far, there's only two, Hard Contact and Triple Zero. But if enough of TZ sell
    we may get at least one more after that, so *hint, hint* go buy it. Now.

13. Darth_Yasura

Darth_Yasura Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2006
    Hi Boba Frett,

Having read RC: Hard Contact and completed the PC version of Republic COmmando, I have to agree with most of the previous posters - get the book. You'll enjoy it thoroughly. It explores many interesting issues e.g. Jedi / Clones and their differing views on their respective roles in the Clone Wars.

The book also contains some excellent action scenes and great descriptions of the mechanics of war (Karen Traviss' own military experience really shines through here) and stresses the importance of what has previously been seen as mundane i.e. logistics / preparation for battle. We also get to read about the role non-clones play in the upbringing/training of clones.

While books based on video games can be a bit hit and miss, this book is great as is the video-game it ties in with. Note: the book and video game are linked by characters but do not depict the same scenes i.e. you are not reading a book describing what happens in the video game.

Even though you know what happens to most of the clones we don't know about happens to all different classes of clones by the OT e.g. ARC troopers, Commandos, etc. Based on that argument you shouldn't watch the prequel trilogy given that you already know what happens to the main characters.

I personally haven't read Triple Zero, the next novel in the Republic Commando series (we here in Australia generally get books a little later than in the US), but will pick it up as soon as I can.

Give the novels and game a chance, you'll be thoroughly entertained. So much so that you'll think that both the books and video games are too short because when you complete them you'll be left wanting more - always a good sign of the quality of a product.

PS. This is my first post to theForce.net - I hope I was able to help!

Cheers,

Darth_Yasura

14. wild_karrde

wild_karrde Jedi Grand Master star 7

Oct 8, 1999
    The RC books are among the best military SF, period. I rank them right up there with Starship Troopers and Ender's Game.

15. Jedi_Matt

Jedi_Matt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 11, 2002
    my copy of triple zero just arrived today, so i can't wait to read it.

But the only reason triple zero was made, was because Karen Traviss' Hard Contact was so freakin good and so well received.

Hard Contact was awesome, and addresses quite a few issues, which, as I'm lead to believe, are carried forward into triple zero too.

16. Mandalorian_Crusader

Mandalorian_Crusader Jedi Youngling star 2

Jun 6, 2005
    As opposed to the usual, stale, mundane kind.o_O

17. Sniper_Wolf

Sniper_Wolf Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 26, 2002
    I enjoyed Hard Contact, but yet to read Triple Zero. If you want something that isn't a massive galaxy wide threat, RC is your answer.

18. tonfa2

tonfa2 Jedi Youngling

Sep 10, 2004
    I'd say yes, although it's closer to the Rogue Warrior books by Richard Marcinko than Clancy's writing. From what I can tell the main people who have problems with it simply don't like how it presents an alternative to Jedi being the be-all and end-all of combat.

19. Boba Frett

Oct 21, 1999
    Well, crap, I'm definitely getting both books!

Thanks, all.

One last thought, though-

There should have been one or two clone characters (other than Boba) that were followed throughout the entire prequel-era EU and who could become in-between trilogy characters...

It just feels like the clones are red-coats from Star Trek.

20. LtNOWIS

LtNOWIS Jedi Master star 4

May 19, 2005
    Well, there's Alpha, a recurring character in the comics. He's in most of the Clone Wars, timewise, and doesn't die. The Clone Commandos in these books are also pretty well-developed. But yeah, you'll never look at clones the same way again.

21. Sn4tcH

Sn4tcH Jedi Master star 4

Oct 22, 2004
    Yeah, Alpha and Cody ended up being big deal-ish. Especially Alpha, awesome character.

Anyways, As soon as I finish the YJK, I'm going to read the Prequel stuff. And honestly I cannot wait for Republic Commando. I've hear only, not just good, but fantastic things about them. Not to mention because of the way I'm reading them, it goes Hard Contact, Shatterpoint, Triple Zero. Man, I'm going to be on Cloud 9.

22. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Yes, both Republic Commando books are great SW reads. Be careful, though, lest the clones (who are certainly not evil in and of themselves) lead you down the dark path, as they did poor Jusik and Etain... ;)

TC

23. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002

Traviss takes the effort for realism one step further. Whereas as geese will just tell you people stood near a landing ship, this swan will tell you how hot and uncomfortable the surrounding air is from a ship having landed through scorching atmosphere.

It's the kind of realism writing, like Dark Nest, that gives breezy depth-addicted readers a fit. [face_dancing]

24. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    It's very loosely connected to the game, IMO (which was a pretty darn good story in and of itself, imo). Awesome books.

25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Hehehe... glad I'm not the only one in that mindset... ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.