main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should I get a Playstation2 or XBox?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by hawk, Aug 20, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Twink_Kee

Twink_Kee Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 1, 2001
    It basically boils down to whether you are a "hardcore gamer" or not.

If you are a "hardcore gamer", then I'd say that X-Box is definitely the way to go, 100%. But I'm to assume that hawk isn't a hardcore gamer; I mean: c'mon. He hasn't even bought a next gen console until now?

The determing factor for buying a next gen console should not be the hardware, but what kind of games you prefer and price. Now, if both systems have basically the same games, then I could see where hardware and price would be the determining factor. But, right now, I'm not seeing a huge crossover.

2. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    "Morrowmind (sic) is an MMORPG"

No it's not. It's an American role-playing game, whereas FF, as RBE said, is a Japanese turn-based adventure game. But there's nothing MMO about Morrowind.

3. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    Oops, my bad. [face_blush]

Nonetheless, the point remains. They are still different types of games, and it's impossible to say that one "plays better" than the other. It depends on your taste in styles.

4. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    Yes it's possible to like FF and Morrowind because they are different styles of RPG.

Also hardware makes a huge difference in this situation. N64 lost developers because of hardware. They went with the system that would allow them to develop the best games. Games make or break the success of the console but hardware makes or breaks the developers games. It's a big consideration, and it's why some of the top developers have signed onto the Xbox. With Xbox there is no LCD (lowest common denomenator). No question of wether they'll have a harddrive, no dumbing down online play for both dial-up and broadband, no question wether someone bought the memory expansion card.

Because of superior hardware, this allows developers to design superior games previously reserved for the PC, with the ability to reach a potentially larger audience. Without the Xbox, games like Halo, Morrowind, Project ego etc would never have made it to the console. You cannot say hardware makes no difference, when that's absolutely not true. That's like saying there's no difference between a gaming PC like Alienware and a Dell.

5. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    I don't think anybody said that hardware doesn't make a difference at all. Reread.

But what you are talking about is development, not what the consumer is experiencing in his gameplay. Now, those things may affect one another, but it doesn't mean they're always directly related. I think the graphics were crisper and cleaner on N64 than PS1 (and you didn't have to worry about CD load time), but like you said it was harder to develop for N64.

Now, company X having trouble developing games for the PS2 will mean that hawk or gamer x won't have a good selection from the future (and for that reason you can be wary). However, just because X-Box has better playable hardware doesn't mean the company x is gonna have trouble developing games for it.

In other words, I don't think Konami is sitting over there, thinking, "Hmmm. I don't know if we wanna develop another Metal Gear for Sony. Because it's so hard to incorporate the memory card feature."

6. stone_jedi

stone_jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2001
    There's a Metal Gear Solid game coming for the X-Box? I really need to keep up with the news. :p

As far as games go, the only reason I see to still have a PS2 is for GTA:Vice City, since it's going to be an exclusive for it (well, it'll be on the PC also), and for the FF games, if that's your thing. As for most everything else, including sports titles, RPG's and shooters (although I don't really like console shooters), I would stick with the X-Box. The controller really isn't that hard to get used to, the graphics are better, and on multi-platform games, the gameplay is virtually the same.

Now I just have to scrounge up a couple hundred bones. ;)

7. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    People say that hardware and graphics doesn't matter and I'm saying it does. It's not that the PS2 is hard to program for, it's the fact that it can't run the programs developers want to do. They either work around it like cell-shaded link (twas the reason for cell shading btw) or if they're not a 1st party developer they jump ship and go to the best console to fully realize their vision for the game. Developers hate limitations polys, framerate, speed and space. It's limiting, and it's the reason they left the N64 for the psx. It's graphics weren't stunning but the space, and the poly counts were higher. Games that could make it to the N64 always looked better IMO (except for that low poly fog) but the fact was games like FF couldn't be played on the N64. The same is true here. So if the Xbox can play anything the competition can, and what the PC can and do it better than any other console, plus the competition can't play it's games. That's the reason we debate hardware.
    Anything they can do it can do better. Plus graphics and sound do matter. It enhances the experience.

8. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    That depends on your tastes, then. For me, graphics aren't my number one concern. Gameplay is (and, no, I'm not talking about hard drive saves, cd load time, or fps. Those do make a difference, however). You're not talking about two systems that run identical games. My 3 favorite next gen games (GTA3, FFX, and MGS2) are not available on X-Box, and an upcoming fourth & fifth (GTA4 & Kingdom Hearts) won't be either. There are some games they share, but some of the best are exclusives to each one. I think the main thing is what kind of games you prefer.

When determining a system - depending on your tastes - there are numerous questions you should ask yourself. Some of which should be:

-What kind of games do I prefer?

-how will the hardware affect the games I prefer (most specifically if you're into online gaming)?

-what priority do graphics have in my experience?

-what priority does hardware (ie, speed, memory) have in my experience?

-who has the most personally preferred games now?

-who is most likely to have the most personally preferred games in the near future (as in 2 ~ 3 years, max)?

Looking too far ahead past 2 or 3 years is moot (because new systems will be out eventually)

9. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    FYI MGS2 is going to be on the Xbox. So FF (which is jumping to Nintendo so the fanboys say) and the GTA franchise which is playable on the PC. I never said that any console was worthless but I think too many fanboys never really took a look at the Xbox. I never took a look at the PSX till my roommate showed it to me.

I just wanted to run down the list of questions
    -What kind of games do I prefer?
    Each system has covered it's basis quite well in every category

-how will the hardware affect the games I prefer (most specifically if you're into online gaming)?
    If online gaming is a must and you cannot get broadband, then this is the Xbox's only minus. But then again dial-up gaming isn't really worth it IMO

-what priority do graphics have in my experience?
    This just seems like an excuse to me. Everyone likes graphics in the games. It's high on their lists. If it wasn't we'd still be playing with block Atari graphics. Some games like the Romance series and other strategy games supercede that but in your action genre graphics are king.

-what priority does hardware (ie, speed, memory) have in my experience?
    I would have thought enough peopel have experienced what good hardware can do for a game and what bad hardware can do for a game. Say what you will but if you're playing a fighting or racing game, no one wants 30 second load times for 2 minutes of play. And the use of a HD to create ever expanding levels with no loading to hinder the action is cruicial to games like Halo's success. The hardware has made several games. Heck. The Final Fantasy series wouldn't have been what it was without the cut-scenes and summonings. The PSX made that possible.

-who has the most personally preferred games now?
    Indeed this can be a big factor. GTA3 is a crucial gaming experience. But unless there's alot of games, you have to at least look at the near future.

-who is most likely to have the most personally preferred games in the near future (as in 2 ~ 3 years, max)?
    Lets narrow it to one year. I'll name all the games I'm excited about coming to the Xbox/live and you can name all those you're excited about and we'll compare-multi console or not, it doesn't matter.
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    KOTOR
    Jedi Outcast
    Project Ego
    Ninja Gaiden
    Mech Assault
    Halo 2
    Project Gotham 2
    Unreal Championship
    Indiana Jones
    Brute Force
    DOA Volleyball (okay I'm just a little curious)
    Jurrasic Park
    B.C.
    Mace Griffon
    Pazeer Dragoon Orta
    Turok
    Steel Battalion (I may not buy it, but it looks cool)
    Tao Feng
    Rainbow Six
    Doom III

go here to see 250 games in case any strikes your fancy

Just some off the top of my head. There's one strategy game I can't think of that sounds really cool. Oh well, some may suck others may rock but there's enough to keep someone busy here. That's one year mind you.

Don't just pass this gaming deluxe opportunity up and kick yourself later because of one franchise you could have played on the PC. :)

10. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    Jedi Outcast? You're actually naming that? It's been out on the PC for MONTHS. [face_plain]

Anyway, this arguement is basically pointless for me. I'm not buying another console for a long, long time. I wish I hadn't bought the GameCube at all. *Sigh*

11. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    Sorry that I only have a voodo 3 video card. Yes it sucks but what are you going to do?

12. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    I think a Voodoo3 will run it. My old one was a Voodoo2 and was just below the specs, so Voodoo3 should have made it. You can always replace your video card. I think you can get a 64MB GeForce3 for around $100.

13. tenorjedi

Aug 17, 2000
    I could but I'm not gonna till I buy a new computer. Besides I rather not be on the lower end with a bad framerate, plus I'm on dial up at home so online isn't much of an option at this point (I'm upgrading in November though)

edit: forgot to mention I've got a HD big screen TV so you can imagine my dilemma ;). 17"....54" hmmmm

I wanted to get a card awhile back that could hook a PC up to TV via S video but the wife wouldn't go for that.

14. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    "FYI MGS2 is going to be on the Xbox."

Cool. But at the time I bought it, I didn't know that.

"So FF (which is jumping to Nintendo so the fanboys say)"

Well, right now FFXII is slated for PS2 release only. FF Chronicles (GBC), and FF Tactics 2 (GBA) or completely different games in the series, so I don't think Square will be changing ships just yet). To me, FFX is irreplaceable, so it makes the PS2 completely worthwhile to me as my favorite systems.

"and the GTA franchise which is playable on the PC."

Unfortunately, I'm not funded by terrorists so I can't afford to upgrade my computer to make GTA3 run as smooth on my PC as it does on on my PS2.

"I never said that any console was worthless but I think too many fanboys never really took a look at the Xbox."

You're preaching to the converted here. I own an X-Box, and like I said, I like it. If FFX and GTA3/4 were on X-Box, I would hands down say it is the best system. But they're not, so I have to prefer my PS2. So that basically boils back to me saying it depends on what games you like. Believe me; I've given lots of X-Box games a chance. But I've yet to find any that I like as much as FFX or GTA3.

"-what priority do graphics have in my experience?
    This just seems like an excuse to me. Everyone likes graphics in the games. It's high on their lists. If it wasn't we'd still be playing with block Atari graphics. Some games like the Romance series and other strategy games supercede that but in your action genre graphics are king."

That's true, but again it all goes back to what kind of games you like. In other words, I'm not sure if anyone would buy the X-Box just because it has superior graphics (unless most of your preferred games are for both systems. In which case you would choose X-Box). I doubt anyone would say, "You know, I like Final Fantasy X. But I think I'll buy an X-Box for Halo because it has better graphics. And I don't like Halo as much but...

"Heck. The Final Fantasy series wouldn't have been what it was without the cut-scenes and summonings. The PSX made that possible."

Sorry to get off track here, but... ;)

IMO, Final Fantasy IV is still quite possibly the best FF out there (and it had none of that stuff). Same can be said for FFVI.

"Lets narrow it to one year. I'll name all the games I'm excited about coming to the Xbox/live and you can name all those you're excited about and we'll compare-multi console or not, it doesn't matter."

Like I've said, I'm not a hardcore gamer, so I don't keep up with upcoming releases all that much. I'm really not looking for the next big hyped release, but strictly that games that I'm pretty sure I'll like. But here are the next gen titles that interest me off the top of my head:

Kingdom Hearts (PS2)
    GTA4 (PS2)
    Metroid Prime (GC)
    FF Chronicles (GC)
    Robotech (X-Box)
    DOA X-Treme Beach Volleyball (X-Box; I know, I know. So sue me 8-}. In truth, I am ACTUALLY buying it because of the volleyball. The girls are icing )

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    To me, FFX is irreplaceable, so it makes the PS2 completely worthwhile to me as my favorite systems.

Agreed.

And I think FFXII is going to be for PS2 also.

16. Adon_Malik

Adon_Malik Jedi Youngling

Jun 18, 2002
    Just thought I'd post to say that there's no chance a Voodoo 3 could run Jedi Outcast. I had a Voodoo 4 (until I upgraded to my Geforce 4 TI 4400) and it could run it only with everything turned off and at the lowest possible settings. And the frame rate was still like 30-40fps!! Even though I can run it full res right now with my new card I'm still going to buy it for the Xbox just because it'll be more stable. Also here's my list of games I'm looking forward to/want:

Steel Battalion(Xbox)
    Robotech: Battlecry(Xbox)
    Mech Assault(Xbox)
    Project Ego(Xbox)
    Jurassic Park: Project Genesis(Xbox)
    Soul Calibur 2(Xbox)
    Armada 2: Star Command(Xbox)
    Brute Force(Xbox)
    Dragon's Lair 3D(Xbox)
    Duality(Xbox)
    Jet Set Radio Future(Xbox)
    Panzer Dragoon Orta(Xbox)
    Gun Valkyrie(Xbox)
    Phantom Crash(Xbox)
    Phantasy Star Online(Xbox)
    Shenmue II(Xbox)
    Knights of the Old Republic(Xbox)
    Hunter: the Reckoning(Xbox)
    Halo(Xbox)
    B.C.(Xbox)
    Mace Griffon: Bounty Hunter(Xbox)
    Tao Feng: Fist of the Lotus(Xbox)
    Shinging Lore(Xbox)
    Gaia Blade(Xbox)
    Murakumo(Xbox)
    Fate(Xbox)
    Ghost Master(Xbox)
    Dead or Alive Volleyball(Xbox)
    Final Fantasy X(PS2)
    Final Fantasy XI(PS2)
    Final Fantasy XII(PS2)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Federation vs. Zeon(PS2)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Journey to Jaburo(PS2)
    Mobile Suit Gundam: Zeonic Front(PS2)
    Resident Evil(GC)
    Resident Evil 0(GC)
    Resident Evil 4(GC)

As you can see for me Xbox has much more appeal.

17. The_Rev

The_Rev Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 15, 2002
    Sorry bout that I didn't think about the different types of RPGs.
    I enjoy both the Xbox and GC becuase of boths future lineups. I think that MS and Nintendo have done a terrific job with their games.

18. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    BUY PS2!!!!!! It has much better games.As for the DVD Player, buy a real one. You can get much a much better picture and audio quality on a real player with features like Progressive Scan(HD) component output (superior sound and picture) and the ability to play many more types of DVD's.

19. Twink_Kee

Oct 1, 2001
    "BUY PS2!!!!!! It has much better games."

You can't say that flat out. Again, it depends on what games or kinds of games the individual likes.

20. Adon_Malik

Jun 18, 2002
    Xbox has progressive scan, dolby digital, optical out, and component out(via the High Definition AV pack). It is as good, if not better quality then a normal DVD player, as the laser is also tuned much more precisly. Also I've heard only one person ever say they couldn't play X DVD on the Xbox, and that was due to them messing around with the DVD drive adjustments.

21. The_Rev

Jul 15, 2002
    "BUY PS2!!!!!! It has much better games.As for the DVD Player, buy a real one. You can get much a much better picture and audio quality on a real player with features like Progressive Scan(HD) component output (superior sound and picture) and the ability to play many more types of DVD's."

My DVD player and VHS Player is better than anyones here.:D

22. The_Rev

Jul 15, 2002
    The Xbox DVD player does not support Progessive Scan. MS has hinted that they want to release an update VIA Xbox Live or OXM drivers to enable progessive scan for the Xboxes DVD player.

23. Adon_Malik

Jun 18, 2002
    Regardless of if it's enabled or not the hardware does support it. Also in actuallity progressive scan doesn't do much to performance unless you have a slow DVD drive in the player and not enough ram... two things the Xbox doesn't suffer from. Progressive scan is simply the cheap way of fixing a problem that arises from cheapened production costs. Also DVD players don't have a HDD on which to cache the data, the Xbox does, and as a result performs better most of the time.

24. Ociredor

Ociredor Jedi Youngling star 1

May 9, 2002
    Is it true that most of the games for the X-box will probably come out on the PC too.

25. The_Rev

Jul 15, 2002
    If you call 2 games alot.
    1st party
    Halo and RalliSport

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.