Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Discussion in 'Literature Poll forum' started by Gandalf the Grey, Sep 27, 2002.

?

Should "I have 5000/10000 posts" threads be allowed?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
Yes, for both the 5k and 10k variety. 15 vote(s) 23.4%
They should only be allowed at the 10k mark. 28 vote(s) 43.8%
They shouldn't be allowed at all. 13 vote(s) 20.3%
Other (please explain) 8 vote(s) 12.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth Guy Chosen One

star 10
    10,000 post parties are fairly rare, and I do not mind them at all.

No parties for anything lower, though.
  2. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    10K posts should be allowed.
  3. DarthSikle Jedi Master

star 4
    I love those posts parties. they are fun and rarely occur. I had one for my 1,000th post that reached 91 posts
  4. chissdude10 Jedi Youngling

star 5
    No offense Sikle, but I only think 10,000 and perhaps 20,000 should be allowed, and only to thosewho have made a large and known contribution to the forum.
  5. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    10,000 and every 5000 after that.
  6. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    10k, yes. 5k no.

I'm pretty close to 5k, and while it is a milestone, I'm not making myself a thread. Enough people have 5k that its not really a unique event anymore. 10k, however, is a rare event.
  7. Ozzel TF.N Foreign Book Covers Staff

VIP
    star 5
    I'm kinda leaning towards 10k only.
  8. Nichos_Marr Jedi Master

star 4
    I think 10k should be allowed.

I'm a little indifferent about 5k. Not many people reach it too often, but it's not as big a milestone as 10k.
  9. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I agree with The Gatherer. I agree that it creates an environment where people are posting one word or "+1" (which really gets on my nerves) just to increase post count.

Setting a number is not really "fair" anyway. I will admit to posting my 1000th post party (which was quickly locked), but since I have a so-called life, I can't post an average of 15 times a day in order to reach 5000 in a year. My 1000 was a real milestone for me. For JC'ers who hit 1000 in one month (and there have been some), even 5000 is no milestone. 10000 may not even be a milestone for them.

There would need to be some other criteria other than pure number to make it allowed - such as time since joining and % of posts to Lit - but that would be difficult to monitor, so I just went with no.
  10. JADES_FIRE Jedi Master

star 4

I think every 10K. :D

I don't see any real harm in it. ;)

And it always gives people something to aim at. :p
  11. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I think that was Gatherers point though - we don't want people aiming at it.
  12. Moff_D Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    10K is good. I don't why you would want to aim for it though. That's an awful lot of posting. At the very least it should take well over a year, shouldn't it?
  13. jacesolo1138 Force Ghost

star 3
    10k and 5k are okay but anything lower shouldnt be allowed. Those threads usually die out in a couple of days.
  14. Jedi_Johnson Force Ghost

star 5
    I don't have a problem with 10k posts. Thats quite an acomplishment.
  15. ChildOfWinds Chosen One

star 5
    I don't see any reason for them. I don't think they should be allowed. They are totally unnecessary.
  16. wampa Force Ghost

star 4
    My 1000 posts happens in a few posts for me. I've been debating what to do. What if I posted my EU-related narrative essay in my lit index thread? Could that possibly be allowed?

Also, I think now that stars are gone that we shouldn't focus on post counts. How about only making celebration threads for your registration anniversary (every five years)? For example, I'd make a thread next July. That way newbies would shoot for staying here a long time. All the immature ones would hopefully mature by then or go away after five years.
  17. wild_karrde Chosen One

star 7
    I agree that post counts are becoming meaningless these days, with newbies reaching 1000 in like 2 months when it used to take a year or more.

I like the anniversary threads though, but not every 5, becuase noone has reached that yet. Plus, my 3rd is in a few weeks :D

EDIT: err, make that NEXT week :D :D
  18. DaJames Force Ghost

star 4
    I remember that the stars were taken about 3 hours before i hit the first milestone on that system ; needless to say, i was not impressed ;)

I think we should allow 10K post parties only, and leave open an official Post Party thread. This would seriously limit any glory gained from huge numbers of posts, whilst still leaving some glory possible for the rest of us ;) Knowing that you can only have one thread dedicated to your special moment, or have it in a thread where milestones are common occurences should achieve the desired effect, IMHO.
  19. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Darth_Kevin: 15 a day... *calculates* Well, I've been averaging 30 a day--so I'll reach 10,000 in six months. Whoo!

Stars? I miss them... I had three before they were taken away.

*stubbornly hugs his four stars*

I almost have five... almost!/>
  20. Darth_Kevin Force Ghost

star 5
    I'd rather have anniversaries based on time than post count. Maybe every year starting with the 2nd year.
  21. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I voted yes, but it's more of a yes*

*denotes further reasoning involved.

Let me explain.

The main gripe that many people are having with the Lit forum is the lack of friendliness that is involved with the forum as of late. Part of what these informal threads do, and to no small degree IMO, is to help foster a greater sense of community within our little corner of the boards. To me at least, the Lit seems to be a board that breeds exclusive posters, that is, posters who rarely venture outside into other forums (Obviously with exceptions, but I'm talking people who do the vast majority of their posting in Lit). That right there should show you that the Lit boards have the opportunity for something special. In this case, it would be the chance to have a tight-knight, intelligent, and friendly group of posters who get to know eachother on the boards and learn a little something about the person behind the keyboard as well.

People should be able to post their congrats to someone they consider a friend. I myself have many people that I would consider friends on the Lit boards, and were they to have a milestone of any kind, would jump at the chance to congratulate them for their success, good fortune, etc, and I don't think I'm the only one.

I would even encourage 1000 post parties, since it's a quicker milestone to be reached. Is this going to mean more work for the moderators? Possibly. But wouldn't it be worth it if the Lit could once again be turned into a place that was not only knowledgeable, but also *gasp* fun to post in? I'm not saying I want this place to turn into the JCC...far from it. But it couldn't hurt to have a bit more fun within the confines of this particular board.

My 2 credits anyway.

JMA
  22. Aragorn327 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    But I thought Lit is fun to post in? ?[face_plain] There's alot of interesting threads going around, and some pretty funny ones pop up from time to time....would having people post their postcount milestones really make Lit more fun? I think most postcount milestones should go to the JC or something, but exceptions can be made, such as 10,000+.
  23. JediMasterAaron Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    It's getting better, I will certainly have to admit, over the last couple of weeks. There was a time there though when it was pretty bad... :(

JMA
  24. dp4m Chosen One

star 9
    Assuming that the "Official 'I Have Reached a Certain Post Count' Thread" idea is dead <takes moment... beats dead horse again...> then I'd probably agree with JMA that the people that accumulate 5K/10K posts and frequent Lit a lot... most likely got their lion's share of posts IN EU Lit as well...

We should welcome them! But, on the other hand, I disagree with 1K post threads... make 5K, that's something. Make 1K... not so much... ;)
  25. JediTrilobite Force Ghost

star 7
    How many people get to 5000 or 10000 posts? I think that they should be allowed, if they are that fanatical.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.