main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should I have posted the DJ Snynopsis (and should I post future synopsis')

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Jan 21, 2002.

?

Should I have posted the DJ Snynopsis (and should I post future synopsis')

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Yes

90.7%
  2. No

9.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    just FYI, synopsis' = synopses

Anyway, you did the right thing. I thrive on spoilers! :D

2. JediMasterAaron

JediMasterAaron Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 14, 2000
    "If you think yes, but not over a week before, in theory your vote would be yes"

So did you vote yes Reaper? Just out of curiosity.

JMA

3. ReaperFett

ReaperFett Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 9, 1999
    didnt vote. My gripe is the timing, not posting a Synopsis

4. wampa

wampa Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    I chose not to read the synopsis, so I don't have any problem with it as long as I don't get spoiled from some ignorant newbie.

One thing that does disappoint me is the lack of enthusiasm for TAS. One would be inclined to think that by the time a DeeJay synopsis is up, a TAS synopsis would be up as well. But TAS seems to be getting little hype around here. After reading SotME last spring, I'm eager for another SW book by Foster.

5. Darth_KindaEvilGuy

Darth_KindaEvilGuy Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 29, 2001
    Complaining about getting accidentally spoiled on a message board is like walking into a strip club, paying the cover charge, and complaining about seeing naked women on stage. This is particularly true when there is no delineation between spoiler and non-spoiler boards.

The big problem that I have is the idea that it is "too early" for spoilers. In my mind, posting a week or two early is no better or worse than posting on the release date. Why? Not everyone camps outside the book store on the release date and reads the book cover-to-cover on the day it comes out. If there were to be a moratorium on spoilers, what would be an appropriate time period after release?

In sum, I believe that Gatherer did nothing wrong here.

6. Ghent42

Ghent42 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 19, 2001
    I don't understand what everyone's getting so worked up about. If everyone is so woried about spoilers, why don't you just create a Lit. spoilers forum, like with the movies?
    And if people get driven away from the book because the summary sounds bad, that's good for them. Sure, the book won't sell as much, but they will have been rightfully warned, and won't waste their money on a book they don't like the sound of. And if it turns out the summary was innacurate, they will find out from reviews or discussions online, and they can decide they do want to buy it.
    If releasing spoilers weeks in advance is biased to people who don't want to be spoiled, not doing it is just as biased to the people who do. Why can't there just be a seperate forum if everyone is going to complain so much?

7. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    You gave warnings, You put it in Spoiler text and if you didn't post it someone else would of.

Besides, I'm a Spoiler Junkie anyway.

8. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    yes, but normal joe gets a chance to read the book.

And the Approaching Storm thing, IMO is Del Rey's fault. What made them decide to release them on the same day?

9. Tenel_Ka_Solo

Tenel_Ka_Solo Jedi Youngling

Nov 15, 2001
    While I agree with ReaperFett about the timing of the post, I'm not reading the synopsis in any case, so I guess I can't really complain... besides, after the SbS fiasco, having a few spoilers released a week early seems like nothing. :)

10. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    What timing do you want?

I posted this a week and a few days before the release, that it pretty close as you can get, since I had this synopsis *months* ago.

11. Nightowl

Nightowl TFN Timetales Writer star 4 VIP

Jul 8, 1998
    You did it right, Mick. I couldn't have handled the spoiler situation better myself. :)

12. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    on the day, the day after. They are valid days

13. Scott

Scott TFN Founder star 2 VIP

Jun 25, 2000
    Just chiming in real quick.

I think Michael handled it well. I personally avoid book spoilers at all costs. (Which is odd since I read all Episode II spoilers, but that's another issue.) Even with the TFN posting database e-mailing me the text unhighlighted, I still was able to stay away from the DJ plot synopses. If I can do that, I don't see why the 20% of readers in the forum who want to avoid them can't.

The trick is to make sure the spoilers don't appear without warning in the forums. To do that, it's going to take extra effort by the moderators and the readers. I think this can be done successfully.

Scott

14. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Also, You asked this on the 16th. You decided late on the 16th(I assume) that you would wait, and it appeared about three days later. If you are going to delay it for that short a time, why even ask?

15. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Because many people wanted it...

16. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I started out in Literature. When I first registered my first 500 posts were here. Then I left TFN Boards for a while, and I came back to Lit. It had changed. I can't put my finger on it directly, besides saying that there were a lot more spoilers.

Basically what I'm trying to say, is that I don't come around to this board any more because there are more discussions that I would get interested in that contain spoilers than there are not.

I'm rather afraid of going into a thread and getting spoiled. I'm sure the admins do a good job, and I bet they catch 80% of all cases before anyone sees them. And probably 95% before more than 3 people see them. But the biggest thing is that I may see those spoilers. And I reeeeally don't want to know.

That, plus the fact that now, I'm a newbie here. I don't like it :p I'm scraed to post a thread cause it might get that redundant pic by Mastage. I was even considering starting a thread about how much Dark Empire was poorly written, but I didn't because I didn't want to bring up that redundant pic.

[face_plain] :\

¤Night

17. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    Night,

Sadly, your fears aren't totally unfounded. These boards aren't exactly your model of tolerance and understanding, especially here in the Lit forum. Here's hopin you get back into the swing of things though!

JMA

18. Night4554

Night4554 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 9, 2000
    I don't mean to break any hearts, but I no longer visit the Lit forum exept when I'm extremely bored, or when I'm absolutely dieing to know the auswer to a question. So far I've come in 3 times from boredom, and none for questions. (and 1 to check a post :p )

I still frequent FanFilms, SciFi3D, JCC, and JCcom though, so I'm entirely unactive ;)

¤Night

19. cmulligan01

cmulligan01 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 18, 1998
    It's about responsibility of which none was shown here.

It's about (supposedly, hard for me to believe you would post what you did on the approval of a couple dozens people who strike me as close to dumb enough to jump off a bridge if you promised them minor spoilers at the bottom) letting a couple dozens people (notice some of the people who didn't respond, for me I didn't even think it was an issue and that you guys would have learned your lesson after both Rebirth and SbS, and I thought it was only dogs who got hit by a skunk more than once without learning their lesson, not so apparently) dozens who we should all shudder to think what would happen if this stuff landed in their lap decide something with such a big effect. You should know how many people are going to read the Books page and you compare that to how many people weighted in on your pointless question and how many people will buy your book. You have started negative word of mouth with nothing to counteract it two weeks ahead of time. This is unfair and just stupid to do to anybody involved in this project.

There is NO, I repeat NO real, intelligent comparison between this and movie spoilers. Scott here is just bumbling and making it worse. There is no real comparison here because of the mediums being used. You are offering fragments that only cover a part of what will be seen on the screen while when you're dealing with books you are spoiling them in the same medium. How are you to know how distorted the person's writing has made the book or a certain part of it. This happens on even LFL authorized alternate tellings. Of a person disliking a book very much but being one over by the written, original book. Now if that can happen what about an unskilled, unprofessional person giving a half assed partial summary. There are no effects or sounds to add to what is already been told. There is nothing else. Even a comic has art to add to the story so you're getting something new if you already know what happens in the story.

You are responsible for possibly affecting a writer's career through carelessness and lack of judgment.

20. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Posting spoilers does not affect the sales or harm the career of any given author, even if the spoiler synopsis is written in a negative context. This will not stop people buying a novel, as it is up to themselves how they judge it.

I do not follow the mob crowds opinion or consensus, I follow my own judgement which I trust wholeheartedly, however, I do consult some people from time to time.

I don't know why you said Scott is bumbling because he didn't do anything of the sort?!?

What is the difference if I post a review ONE day after the official release, and it is a negative review? That is my responsibility as a reviewer, a 'Star Wars journalist' to post what my opinion is... that is what freedom of speech is... that is what opinion is... simply that - sure you can read someone's opinion, but it is up to you to form your OWN opinion.

Again, this is NO different to posting spoilers on the prequel movies. What if I have seen the movie already? Who knows, what if I have? What if I report that Hayden Christensen is a bad actor? Do you think that this is going to stop people going to see the movie? I don't think so.

I value and respect your opinion, I hope you do mine...

21. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Posting spoilers does not affect the sales or harm the career of any given author, even if the spoiler synopsis is written in a negative context. This will not stop people buying a novel, as it is up to themselves how they judge it.

Some did say they wont buy it now.

What is the difference if I post a review ONE day after the official release, and it is a negative review?

For starters, you wouldnt say who died and such.

Again, this is NO different to posting spoilers on the prequel movies

Only if a week before EP2 is released you go in EP2 no spoilers and give a link to a synopsis.

If you do this again, don't bother asking if you should post it. If you are only going to wait three days, you might as well not do it.

22. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Again, this is NO different to posting spoilers on the prequel movies

Only if a week before EP2 is released you go in EP2 no spoilers and give a link to a synopsis.

ReaperFett, that is unfair. The reason for the separate movie forums is so that those who wish to avoid spoilers can do so. It is still possible to post spoilers in the no-spoilers forum, but that is in violation of the rules.

The Gatherer clearly marked the synopsis (and his threads dealing with it) as spoilers. Since we do not have a separate spoilers Lit forum, that is what is required by the rules. Posting the synopsis is as if he had gone into the SPOILERS forum, not the NO-SPOILERS forum.

If someone else breaks the spoiler rules, they hold the responsibility for that, not The Gatherer. They should then be punished according to the rules.

Kimball Kinnison

23. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    ReaperFett, that is unfair. The reason for the separate movie forums is so that those who wish to avoid spoilers can do so. It is still possible to post spoilers in the no-spoilers forum, but that is in violation of the rules.

It is not unfair. Gatherer said there is NO difference. There is, I just pointed it out.

If someone else breaks the spoiler rules, they hold the responsibility for that, not The Gatherer. They should then be punished according to the rules.

The rules that are not visible on page one right now, yeah? Someone reads what is there, registers, scans the page for rules, sees none, and posts it. How is that their fault?

24. JediMasterAaron

Oct 14, 2000
    I think in light of the vast majority who wanted to be spoiled that the rest of you guys need to quit nitpicking about a time span consisting of a couple of days. He posted it, the overwhelming majority of people are glad that he did and don't have any problem with it, so just leave the darn thing alone.

JMA

25. ReaperFett

Dec 9, 1999
    Im sure the vast majority were glad the SbS major death was revealed. Doesnt mean it was correct.

And JMA, the vast majority like the Backstreet Boys and Titanic. Doesn't mean they are right :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.