main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should "I love you" "I know" ever be repeated again in Star Wars films?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by BigAl6ft6, Feb 9, 2014.

?

Well, should it?

1. Yup!

4 vote(s)
    3.6%
  2. Nope!

50 vote(s)
    45.5%
  3. Depends...

20 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Han & Leia can pull it off. If anyone else does, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!!!!!!!

36 vote(s)
    32.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Simple question. The "I love you" "I know" was improv'd on the set for ESB. Went on to become an iconic Star Wars moment. And they brought it back for ROTJ. Which does make it a thing between Han & Leia. However, if it was repeated by Han & Leia in the ST, is that good/bad/depends? Or what if it is repeated again with non Han & Leia characters in the Star Wars verse? Some things are awesome to be repeated, some things should stay in their particular box. Which side of the great "repeat the I love you, I know" debate do YOU land on?????

2. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    They did repeat the line in ROTJ - it's been done already.

3. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Jaina Solo: I love you

Han Solo: I know, but you can't borrow the Falcon.

Jaina Solo: But Dad!

KSennia, clone3131, cdgodin and 14 others like this.
  4. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    I don't want any cutesy references to the prequel or original trilogies, except for the ubiquitous "I have a bad feeling about this."

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I always found "May the force be with you?" cutsey... just saying cutsey depends greatly on ones point of view.

Also this thread is ambigious of if this reference will be any particular movie, so it could be episodes VII-IX or spinoffs I-III. That's a huge span of screen time to drop a few random cutesy references throughout. I personally wouldn't mind... as long as its handled and acted well, not to mention the timing of the delievery placed at a needed moment of levity.

Don't get me wrong, I get your point very clearly and in some ways greatly agree. Plus if not done right I'll be right there at your side shouting bad call, should have given us something new instead. That said, little bits of niestalgia can go a long way and on a seperate note actually help younger generations get into the older films as time goes on.

6. Darth_Corvus

Darth_Corvus Jedi Master star 4

Jun 17, 2010
    THIS. I want J.J. to define his own vision of star wars not constantly allude to decades old movies that only the "true fans" saw.

Blazer-Smith and Darth Raiden like this.
  7. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    leia: i love you
    han: i want a divorce

8. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hell no. There were too many repeats of the OT in the PT that were quite bad.
    The only repeat I think would be amusing to see would be a reverse of what happened in the bunker in ROTJ: Carrie Fisher groping Harrison Ford. [face_whistling]

J_Girl likes this.
  9. Darth Horn Rollo

Darth Horn Rollo Jedi Master star 1

Nov 2, 2012
    Nope. No.

The echoes should all be related to the narrative arc and not to shallow call backs. If you're going to do "I love you/I know", you might as well have Han Solo winking at the camera.

"I've got a bad feeling about this" is the obvious exception and it should be the only word-for-word call back to the earlier movies.

By the way, one of my favorite little moments in the PT was Obi-Wan throwing down his blaster, saying "So uncivilized..."

10. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013
    No, not really. Nor do I want to see Han running around "shooting first" or any nonsense like that. Echoes and mirrored lines of dialogue and images like that worked (and were absolutely necessary) in the Prequel trilogy because of the reflective nature of the story in comparison to the Original Trilogy, but if done correctly the Sequels should not be taking that direction. They should (hopefully) propel the story and the mythology forward.

"I have a bad feeling about this" or one of its variations is the only callback that I think would actually work, and the only one that should span every main film in the Saga.

11. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "May the Force be with you" is also somewhat iconic.

Blazer-Smith, Force Smuggler and Ryus like this.
  12. bstnsx704

bstnsx704 Force Ghost star 5

Mar 11, 2013

Ahh, yes, forgot about that one. Though I wouldn't really call that a reference or throwback. It's more a common phrase in that universe, and should definitely be there.

Bob Octa and Iron_lord like this.
  13. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    It's really a situational thing, so my vote is for "depends."

First and foremost, probably the only characters who should be ALLOWED to do that are Han and Leia. And to me this speaks to the larger issue of how I would even see Han and Leia's relationship in this era. Even if we assume that it'll be something close to what we're used to, such as that they married and had children in a form similar to the pattern established in the EU, the nature of their relationship would still be what they call "old love," a love that has endured over decades and still endures, but has also been around the block a few times, has taken its share of hard knocks. It's no longer passionate love; it's compassionate love reinforced by a past background of passionate love.

Given that context, I submit that there should be no attempt to wink at the audience if they do it at all. Assuming there's time for a simple character scene between the two depicting their relationship, it could be as simple as Han and Leia sitting on the couch together, with Leia lying against Han's shoulder, and they say it to each other simply, lovingly and quietly. It would indeed be just "callbacking" if it were done in yet another action or highly-dramatic moment, or played for high comedy. But a simple, warm moment between two people remembering something cute they did years ago? Older couples do that all the time, and there's no reason Ford and Fisher couldn't pull such a scene off under the proper direction.

14. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    The only way I would want to see it done is if Han sacrifices himself for Leia. I could picture it as part of Han's death scene, whether he or Leia says it would depend on circumstance.

15. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    yeah . . .sure . . . why not . . . . Damn mistery box [face_waiting]

16. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    I said this in another thread, but they should only do it if they are going to put an interesting or humorous spin on it, AND it has to be a brief moment, not something drawn out or self-indulgent.

I would love to see it used to show Han and Leia in their grumpy, middle-aged married couple phase. Han ends an argument by blurting out an obviously halfhearted "I love you" and we hear Leia groan back from across the room "I knooow".

BigAl6ft6, Yanksfan and Sarge like this.
  17. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I could actually see that working...

18. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    The problem I have with bringing this line back is that it already came full circle in ROTJ when the roles were reversed. The first time it was used as a light but moving sentiment in a serious moment which is also the fruition of the Han and Leia love story in that movie. The second time was more of a cutesy callback to the first moment played in reverse. So if it came up again I think I'd rather bring it back to a dramatic situation, but then I don't know who should say it. If Leia says "I know" in Episode VII, it will echo too closely to her saying it in the previous movie, and if Han says it, it will be too much of a repeat of TESB. One way I can see it working is if Leia dies in Episode VIII. Then you could maybe reverse the comedy moment in Episode VII with Han now playing it lightly, and then reverse the dramatic moment in Episode VIII with Han telling Leia he loves her as she's dying in his arms and Leia's last words being "I know".

Alternately, there's another possibility, especially if one of them dies in Episode VII. And that is as they're dying, one of them says "I love you" and the other finally responds with "I love you too". If handled correctly this could actually be a great moment that brings the exchange full circle in a more unexpected way, and I might actually cry if that happened.

19. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I'm going with no. We got the original in ESB, and Leia threw it back in ROTJ.

Nothing left, although I'd bet we get in anyway.

Han: I love you.

BOOM!!!!!

Leia: I know.

20. I_Love_Scotch

I_Love_Scotch Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 2, 2013
    Think anyone will ever say "I hate you" again? Anakin did a pretty good job of it in ROTS. :p

Blazer-Smith likes this.
  21. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Me::([face_worried]:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|:_|

22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Should be an emotionally lukewarm rendition:

"I think I may be starting to like you".

"I suspected".

23. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999
    Sadly that's better written than a certain scene in a movie where two lovers are on a balcony talking about their love.

Sarge, T-R-, Dra--- and 2 others like this.
  24. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
    "I love you. All of you."

"We know."

BigAl6ft6 and Ryus like this.
  25. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Old Leia: I love you.

Old Senile Han: Kidneys! I don't like the color!

DarthScully, BigAl6ft6 and Dra--- like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.