main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should I put an offer on a murder victim's house?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    you make a very convincing argument. Alrighty then, maybe I'll have a talk with my mortgage broker tomorrow. It'll be a minor coup if I can get it for what I can afford to pay. I think the likely outcome is that they'll laugh in my face, and 8 months from now they'll sell it to someone else for less than what I offer. or maybe they just wait out the bad PR and get their list price eventually.

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Just show up for the open house, and ask loudly, "Didn't the previous owner of this property get slaughtered and stuffed in a suitcase (leave out the bit about Bali)?" The price will surely go down.

3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I wouldn't do it personally. It's not because of anything superstitious but just because I wouldn't feel comfortable knowing someone was murdered in that space. Couldn't do it.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    No one was murdered in the house. The victim didn't even own it when she was killed. But the investors who rehabbed it got unlucky with the timing, and tv crews taped in front of the house anyway. I'm just hoping to capitalize on the developer's bad luck.

harpua and Ender Sai like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Well, you see, contrary to popular misconception, ghosts are not concerned with revenge, merely with being jerks. Huge jerks. So while her ghost wouldn't harm him or his family, it'd probably constantly leave the toilet seat up, get crumbs on the furniture, and fiddle with the temperature controls in the middle of winter. Then it'd go have a laugh with all of the other ghosts down at the club, over ghost beers, while they watched the ghost ball game. They wouldn't tip the ghost bartender despite its impeccable service. Because ghosts are jerks.

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Ok. Gotcha. Reread the OP. Yeah that's completely different. I would do it if it works.

7. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I wouldn't. Why not move into Amityville instead? It's probably cheaper.

8. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

What about the ghost bartender in The Shining? Seemed alright.

9. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Overlook Hotel. Definitely a model for my new home (fingers crossed).

Obviously I'd have a lot more leverage on price if someone had been murdered there.

10. Tabula Rasa

Tabula Rasa Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 1998
    I'll just set my Bourbon and Advocaat down… right there.

Healer_Leona and Jabbadabbado like this.
  11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    So in conclusion, I made a careful assessment of what I could afford to pay for the house and made an offer. Another house flipper/rehabber friend of mine felt that my offer was low but within the realm of the reasonable given the location and unique circumstances, but it did not fly. The developer assured me that in the long run there would be no murder victim discount on the house. it's in the historic landmark registry, and over time the murder story will just become part of the home's historic appeal.

Also, they spent a quarter million or more on the rehab. They're in too deep to take a loss without a fight. I get it, and I knew my chances were not good.

I leave it to the home's next owner to perform the requisite ceremonies for spiritual cleansing.

12. slightly_unhinged

slightly_unhinged Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    You're giving up? I encourage you to bring out lead-pipe-cruelty levels of shameless shadiness instead.

News will be slow over christmas, why not pay a homeless guy to go to the local paper claiming he slept in the house while it was still derelict and all kinds of spooky shizzle happened through the night. If you can find someone ex-military, all the better. He'll make a more credible witness and the outpouring of goodwill towards a hero fallen on hard times from the public will make it harder for him to renege on the deal. He'll probably get christmas hampers and all sorts. Every time a stranger helps him out, he can spread the tales of gruesome ghostiness.

Two months down the line when the developers have lost another couple of mortgage payments you can try again.

13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I know people who know the developer well, so it wasn't my intent to screw anyone. I made the highest offer I could afford, knowing the chances of success were slim. There's no way they're getting their asking price, which is still borderlne delusional, but they're also unwilling to accept that bad PR has soured their investment. They almost need an angry poltergeist to scare them back to reality, but also I'd hate to open myself up to a lawsuit for something like tortious interference with contract.

14. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    If it's still on the market in a few months you might try again. They might be desperate by then.

Jabbadabbado likes this.