main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should I read NJO?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Arwen_Evenstar, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    I love the EU books that I have read, but I haven't read any of the NJO. Are they worth reading? Are they as good as the earlier EU?

thank you :)

2. Jedi_Solo

Jedi_Solo Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    If you wnat to see your favorite charactors die, then yes. The first 7 are depressing. the rest are semi depressing

3. Bria

Bria Manager Emeritus, -MNFF Council star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 15, 1999
    I haven't loved everything that has happened in the NJO, but overall I'm not sorry I read them. :) So, yeah, I would recommend them to you. ;)

~*~Bria

4. Rev_Leidu

Rev_Leidu Jedi Master star 5

Nov 22, 2001
    Since I've only read up to SbS, I relly don't know about RD or DJ, but I would say Hell yes you should read them. NJO is a great series. I just wish I knew who's going to die in future books. *sighs*

5. Caine

Caine Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 3, 2002

I recommend it, but expect differences from earlier EU.

6. scorepeein

scorepeein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    I would have to agree with the others so far. Good books, not always a happy upbeat story but that the reality of science fiction.

7. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
    We should make this the *official* Should I Read The NJO thread. I have seen more pop up over the past couple of weeks than I care to see.

Anyway, yes. Even if you don't particularly enjoy them, at least you will be up with what is going on in the GFFA. I have enjoyed them for the most part, aside from having to get acquainted with the YJK and JJK characters, who I don't find particularly enjoyable. I miss my oldie characters, but what am I gonna do?

8. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Pass on them. While they do have some good parts the bad greatly outweighs the good. If you don't mind graphic violence for no reason, Luke acting like a complete wimp and pretty much an idiot, the killing of characters for shock value, teenagers somehow leading battles and coming up with great plans when they have never been in a battle before while those that have fought war after war look on like idiots, and the Solo kids(don't get me started) then I say go for it. The past EU books(pre-NJO) are a much, much, much, much better read. Vector Prime on the other hand was semi-decent.

9. loser_fett

loser_fett Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 5, 2001
    Get the first 3 or 4 from a library and decide for yourself on the quality. If you like it go on from there, if you don't you haven't lost anything except some time.

10. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    Hi Arwen! If you decide to read the NJO, I can loan you my extra copy of Vector Prime and any of the paperbacks (except for "Jedi Eclipse" which is still in my 'to read' pile).

Just let me know my PM or at our next FanForce meeting.

:)

11. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    No. Don't waste your time.

12. Syntax

Syntax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 1, 2001
    I'm loving the NJO -- it's been totally worth it (it's the first series that I've actually bought the books in hardcover, whenever possible). It's getting *really* good with Allston's first book, too. :D

13. Arwen_Evenstar

Arwen_Evenstar Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Thanks for your help people :)

14. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    Read the NJO, its pretty good.

15. NeoStar9

NeoStar9 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    scorepeein Star Wars isn't science fiction its fantasy.

16. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Geez, these threads always draw the NJO haters out of their holes.

Yes, read them. Dispite the groundless criticism you've heard they're very good books. Much better than most of the EU.

17. Skylark

Skylark Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I love them. They are different from the earlier ones, but I love them for that. Finally the plot lines aren't so damn predictable. You don't know that the heros will win in each book. And as for the whole things with teens with no war experience leading battles: what the hell were the entire rebellion and first Battle of the Death Star? Sorry, it's just...I rest my case on that point.

18. scorepeein

scorepeein Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 18, 2002
    NeoStar, Sorry
    "...not always a happy upbeat story but that is the REALITY of fantasy"

19. Soontir-Fel

Soontir-Fel Force Ghost star 5

Dec 18, 2001
    Read them. They bring Star Wars goodness to a whole new level

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.