main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should I watch the Clone Wars series?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Jedi_Lantern, Jan 12, 2016.

1. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015

Please post your thoughts here instead :)

thejeditraitor and Jedi_Lantern like this.
  2. StoryWorthTelling

StoryWorthTelling Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2015
    Don't forget the post-TCW material! There's 8 "story reels" on the official star wars website, the comic Son of Dathomir (which is canon despite being published by Dark Horse), and the novel Dark Disciple. The book, especially, is really good.

3. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    I'm just starting season 5 (chronological order) and will say that this show focuses on action to the point of exhaustion. There are some great political / philosophical episodes scattered about but they are few in numbers, the majority is just groups of people shooting at each other or Jedis cutting through swaths of droids! That's my word of warning to anyone thinking of starting the show - be prepared for lots of filler.

Personally I've found that most of my favourite episodes invovle Padme because she's usually invovled in political dealings (Mandalore, the senate, spy missions tc.). The episode in which she tries to block a bill and gives a heartfelt speech to the senate is probably my favourite so far.

CIS Droid and Jedi_Lantern like this.
  4. CIS Droid

CIS Droid AOTC 20th Anniversary Banner Winner star 5 VIP - Game Winner

Oct 21, 2015
    Who would have thought a series about a war would feature action :p.

Im not the biggest fan of that episode. The speech is great and this scene with Palpatine is fantastic

But the rest of the episode wasnt as good IMO

Welcome to the forum :)

5. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Here's what was said.

TFN: How wide is your net in research for the Clone Wars? In the first five episodes, you’ve covered Expanded Universe planets such as Abregado, Rishi and Bothawui. Do you intend to continue mining the EU for gems, and what tends to catch your attention when you do look at the EU?

Henry: It depends entirely on the story. I always hoped we could see the surface of Bothawui when I wrote the premise for Downfall of a Droid, but there wasn’t budget to visit the planet’s surface. I would use Leland’s maps of the galaxy and utilize the proximity of one planet to another for tactical reasons or a certain character’s race or EU connection. I always tried to be true to the nature of the world and its inhabitants as established in the EU, but for the ‘general audience’, they wouldn’t know or care about the details of Abregado, so a lot of that stuff was really put in there for you guys. If I had questions about a certain EU planet or species, I would talk to Leland Chee about it and he was always helpful in keeping me on course

Dave: I always think of the research you speak of as what I knew about the EU before I took this job. As I stated above, working directly with George changes the way you see the EU and everything in it. But I think Henry and I always tried to get things in when we could mention them briefly, as a bit of fun info for the fans who have invested time in that part of Star Wars storytelling. Even now, I look at the stories I’m working on and add elements to connect them to aspects of the EU to tie it all together when it makes sense. For example, when we did the Luminara episode (“Cloak of Darkness”), I kept in mind that Anakin would know Luminara from his mission to Ansion (from the novel: The Approaching Storm) before the Clone Wars started when he was still a padawan. Even though that prior interaction didn’t figure into the script specifically, I discussed it with voice actor Matt Lanter for his portrayal of Anakin, so he would know what kind of relationship Anakin should have with Luminara.

TFN: How much freedom do you have in writing the show? Are certain characters/locations/plots off limits?

Dave: George is always good at listening to ideas. He does pitch us every story now and gives us rather detailed outlines. In first season, it was a little different, but now a lot of the time George will come in and say, “I want to do a story about ‘X’.” Now the part you are all interested in — if what he pitches includes areas that are covered in the EU — this is my only real chance to get the EU material in on the ground floor of the story, right at the beginning, when George presents his idea. I will bring up ideas that are similar in the EU, or talk about how that particular group of characters already has a backstory. Sometimes I would print out whole Wookiepedia entries and show it to him, but now I use the big official encyclopedia set. In the end it is up to George whether it counts or not and that’s his right as the creator of the Star Wars Universe.

Remember that Lucas also allowed EU elements into the novelization for ROTS and even allowed an EU character to be referenced in the film. So if something was articulated in the books and comics, then Lucas had to give his support or not. He didn't like the name Korriban and changed it to Moraband, but was fine with the idea of a Sith planet.
    Well, the show was aimed at kids who have short attention spans.

Iron_lord and CIS Droid like this.
  6. boonjj

boonjj Jedi Master star 1

Jan 21, 2016
    A very sobering moment after the jubilation of Padme's speech. It is indeed a great scene.

And thanks! Hello to you too.

True.

CIS Droid likes this.
  7. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    If you like cartoons and if you like Star Wars than it's definitely worth a shot to try out The Clone Wars. I don't think it's as good as people seem to praise it being but it definitely isn't bad. I'm a fan of it. There's some parts of it I do not like and there's some parts I do in it. It took me a couple months but I slowly made my way through all of it and enjoyed it more than I thought I would. Give it a go. Season 3 / 4 / 5/ 6 are all the best but watch it in chronological order

Jedi_Lantern likes this.