main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should I watch TPM?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Vader1996, Jun 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vader1996

Vader1996 Jedi Youngling

Jun 13, 2017
    So far, I have not seen TFM in it's entirety because I used Machete Order to watch GL's films.

I know what the general storyline of the movie is, and why it's criticized. To me, TFM tells the story of Palpatine's rise to Supreme Chancellor and Padmé's political issues on Naboo with the trade federation. But this is being overshadowed by Anakin's childhood, Obi-Wan's Padawan times and, most importantly, Jar Jar Binks.

But is it worth it after all? Should I watch the full movie about a politician rising to power, even with Jar Jar smeared all over the place? Or do you know a fan-edit of TFM which focuses on the political side of the story, with little Jar Jar and Anakin?

2. JoshieHewls

JoshieHewls Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 16, 2013
    Yes, I would say give TPM a fair chance. And Jar Jar is not as plastered all over the movie as people like to claim.

3. Alienware

Alienware Jedi Master star 3

Apr 19, 2013
    Yes, watch

[​IMG]

Andy Wylde, Seagoat, J7Luke and 9 others like this.
  4. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001

Yes watch the official version before you watch any fan edit, if you do decide to do that.

Give the official release a shot, let it settle in, then watch it again later on.

It is a film that grew on me over time.

5. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Force Ghost star 6

Nov 28, 2015
  6. MrMojoRisin

MrMojoRisin Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2005
    Well yeah, of course you should watch it. It's probably the least liked of the movies (at least in my opinion) but it is Star Wars....

7. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah give it a watch, it's a good movie with a few flaws but also some really great moments as well.

8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    If you like to form your own opinion, check yes. If you are comfortable dismissing it as a poor work and that Jar Jar is "smeared all over the place," check no.

Also, TPM. P for phantom. :)

9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm not sure in all my time here if someone has asked before if they should watch any Star Wars film.

10. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Why even ask? What do you have to lose by watching it? You really seem to have been influenced by those haters. You need to make your own decisions what movies to watch instead of listening to dumb YouTubers. Yes, DO watch it. What are you afraid of? Either you'll like it or you won't. But by all means get your own opinions, not follow others'.
    Never even remotely understood that kind of approach to be honest. If you are interested in SW at all then watch the movies, even watch TFA if you can't help it. Then decide what you like. But don't let others make your decisions for you, including me.:D

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    Wait, he formed his skepticism based on youtubers?

12. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I can't promise you that you'll like it of course, but the answer to the question is an absolute yes for me.

13. trikadekaphile

trikadekaphile Jedi Knight star 2

May 6, 2015
    Should you watch TPM? Well, why not? :D

J7Luke and Seeker Of The Whills like this.
  14. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    The dilemma...

15. Seeker Of The Whills

Seeker Of The Whills Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    You already made a grave mistake by butchering the entire saga with that so-called "machete order". It's a great film, so any and all amateurish fan-made edits will only worsen it, as they're generally completely awful, not to mention illegal. I recommend rewatching the entire saga in chronological order, starting with TPM.

Andy Wylde, J7Luke, Dandelo and 2 others like this.
  16. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
    there is a reason why it's called "the machete order"

it butchers everything up.

In any case you should absolutely watch TPM.

17. Dark Ferus

Dark Ferus Chosen One star 8

Jul 29, 2016
    Dandelo

Best comparison I've ever heard.

Yes, watch The Phantom Menace. It deserves as much of a chance as all the other episodes. It's not my absolute favorite, but it's still pretty exciting for all its flaws. And by the way...

In before the lock.

I don't mean to be mean, I've just always wanted to say that.

18. Darth Downunder

Darth Downunder Chosen One star 6

Aug 5, 2001
    Of course you should watch it. It's a SW movie. Forget that machete business & watch all 8 films in order.

19. ObiWanKnowsMe

ObiWanKnowsMe Jedi Master star 4

Sep 7, 2015
    Watch TPM, Fulfill your destiny

20. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    Who knows? After all any idiot can pretty much post anything there. And as is evident on this forum it's a huge opinion-former. Would there have been all that prequel hate without the internet and especially YouTube? I doubt it.

J7Luke and ShaneP like this.
  21. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Definitely...!

Seeker Of The Whills likes this.
  22. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No, you know someone else's opinion of what the movie is about. Forget the preconceptions, watch the movie and draw your own conclusions. You shouldn't let others dictate wether you should watch a movie or not. Specially when it's about ignoring an equally essential chapter of a six-part story.

Andy Wylde, J7Luke, Gamiel and 2 others like this.
  23. Mostly Handless

Mostly Handless Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 11, 2017
    Definitely watch it. If you like it, GREAT. And if you don't...well then nobody will force you to watch it again. Either way there's everything to play for and nothing to lose, at this point.:)

24. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Heck ya you should!

25. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Considering how vital to the overarching tone of the trilogy Qui-Gon is when you take into account the relationship that Obi-Wan and Anakin have between Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, I'd recommend not leaving The Phantom Menace out of the viewing order. Otherwise, you are only losing insight into both of the most important characters in the entire saga. Watch the film, develop your own view (whether it be negative or positive) and most importantly, enjoy yourself. It's far more preferable to sifting through the cringeworthy and haphazardly cobbled-together "critiques" of a bunch of people who most likely ripped their views off of Reddit in some desperate attempt to seem artistically knowledgeable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.