main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should it be possible to "un-canonize" Cannon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Obi-Wan_Jalopy, Oct 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan_Jalopy

Obi-Wan_Jalopy Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 17, 2005
    I'm sure I will get killed for asking this, but what do you all think about the above question? Specifically, should we be able to erase certain parts of the EU?

Let me explain. I always thought one of the most interesting and potentially richest eras of storytelling in the GFFA was the period between ANH and ESB. The Empire (and Vader) were still at its apex, and the rebellion was growing in leaps and bounds. The character developments were also very interesting, as our heroes got to know each other better, relationships developed (including a potential romantic relationship between Luke and Leia - yech) and Luke growing to learn about himself and the force. So much potentially interesting stuff.

But what do we have from this time period? The Marvel series and Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Look, I know the Marvel series has its fans (and I guess SOTME does as well) but it is of much lower quality (in my opinion) than much of the EU is today. I would love to see some of the really strong Star Wars novelists take a crack at this exciting time period; perhaps in a three-volume set, or perhaps one even longer. (I know Tim Zhan is shoe-horning a story in here, but I am talking bigger-picture.)

This would probably require, however, that we de-canonize certain parts of the EU, since they take up a lot of prime real estate in what could be a very interesting period. So what do you guys think:

1). Should certain parts of the Star Wars story be "de-canonized" if they are simply outdated, and few people pay attention to them anymore; particularly when we could have finely crafted novels from a critical period?

2). If you do think we could, theoretically, "de-canonize" different storylines, what would you erase from the Star Wars continuity?

Finally, two points: first, I don't think for a second LFL will actually do this. I am just wondering what you all are thinking. Secondly, don't respond that it is impossible to "de-canonize" something. Just look at the history of the Bible in the first centuries after the death of Christ. Many scholars now believe it was essentially edited for content.

Thanks!

A canon debate of a different color is still a canon debate.

2. Rohniss

Rohniss Jedi Padawan star 4

May 9, 2005
    weve been through this before.. most people would just as soon decanonize NJO as SOTME and Marvel (ofcourse im in this came so ;P) SOTME just needs retcons.. and if anything Marvel is becoming more referenced in the other EU (Lumiya) than before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.