main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should John Williams have won the Oscar?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jaina02, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    In my opinion, yes. As much as I love the FOTR score, I honestly think that the Harry Potter Soundtrack was incredible. What are your thoughts?

2. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    The Academy Sucks Hard.

Williams should have won. Cheap ******* Academy Awards :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

ST

3. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    It is a hard choice. I thought both scores were awesome. I think FOTR had the better score though. So, I think it was accurate in my opinion.

4. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    The Harry Potter score? It had no chance. If Williams had won, it should have been for A.I. But I think the right movie won this award.

5. GasCabbie

GasCabbie Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 28, 2001
    I am dissapointed by FOTR over AI for music. Dissapointed, but not surprised. I am glad he was nominated, though.

6. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    A.I. was screwed on all accounts tonight.

7. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    Yeah, I do think A.I. should have won Visual Effects and should have gotten more nominations.

8. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    I knew the John Williams Society would cry foul once again. ;)

LotR was a spectacular score! Howard Shore most certainly deserved it. I was actually anticipating Harry Potter to win but I wasn't 100% confident that it actually would win.

Kudos to the Academy for making the right choice for once!

:D :D :D

9. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    That's what i'm saying. Shore definatlly deserved it! It was an awesome score, and Williams can't win everything.

10. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    John Williams is my God!

But Howard Shore abolutely deserved the little golden man, imho.

:)

11. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yup I agree here.

Harry Potter: fun and good, but in the end it is rehash of E.T. meets Hook

A.I.: Amazing and truly creative for Williams and every bit as deserving of the Oscar

LOTR: FOTR: Wonderful, epic and creative and should have won so we can recognize and elevate some up and coming greatness!!!

:D

12. Basil_Hennington

Basil_Hennington Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 8, 2002
    yup, as much as I love Williams he has won before and I thought it was cool to give it to shore.

anyway, I liked Lotr better then harry potter.

13. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    Anyone thinking the Academy has something against Williams should start paying attention. The man has won five times and has been nominated over 40 times. He even got to conduct the orchestra on the show tonight and his montage of film scores from the past was one of the show's highlights. Yes, it would've been nice if he had won again, but don't say that he's been ignored.

BTW, I have no problem with Howard Shore winning. Now if only the film had won more...

14. jamesdrax

jamesdrax Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 30, 2000
    It would have also been nice if James Horner won for A Beautiful Mind. I don't care what most Anti-Horner folks say, that score was literally... "beautiful".

:D

15. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    A Beautiful Mind had a truly beautiful score, I must agree with that.

And no matter how much I admire John Williams (he's a genius), I think that LOTR deserved the Oscar in music. Shore's score is stunning, amazing, brilliant. I totally love it.

It was either LOTR or A.I., but I'm glad LOTR won it. :) After all, Williams already has multiple Oscars for his masterpieces... ;)

16. Jedi-Finney

Jedi-Finney Jedi Master star 4

Mar 22, 2001
    i was actually hopeing that LOTR would win best score... i bet if JW did LOTR it would have beed a million times better though, but indeed, harry potter and AI are both good scores, and i think that a beutiful mind is a very good score as well... it was actually hard for me to decide wich to p;ick, i like them all!!! but lotr is my fav out of all of those nominated...

17. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I found the LotR score instantly forgettable.

But we knew JW wasn't going to win, cos he was conducting the orchestra. Who would have conducted when he went up to collect?

If I was him, out of protest, I would have played the theme from Harry Potter when Howard went up to collect the award

18. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    "i bet if JW did LOTR it would have beed a million times better though"

What, like the Harry Potter score? [face_plain]

19. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Leonard Rosenmann could have done a better job of the FotR score

20. Well_Of_Souls

Well_Of_Souls Jedi Master star 5

Aug 26, 2001
    I bet part of the reason Williams lost for both was because the vote was split between A.I. and Harry Potter.

I'm just miffed that A.I. wasn't nominated for more.

21. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    That's assuming that anyone voted for Harry Potter... I would certainly hope that not many did.

22. Gregatron

Gregatron Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 12, 2002
    Well, ANH won the Oscar. ESB and ROTJ were nominated. TPM...well...

Maybe AOTC will be nominated next year.

I *LOVE* Howard Shore's score for The Fly (1986). I'm glad he won.

23. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    What do you have against the Harry Potter score? It was wonderfully done! He did EXACTLY what was needed for the film. They needed a magical score and he gave it to them! It fit the movie so perfectly whereas LOTR was good, but it didn't fit as perfect as Harry Potter did.

24. Jeff 42

Sep 14, 1998
    It overused the main theme, especially in the movie's opening scenes. It was often overdramatic, notably in the chess scene. And for the most part it wasn't particularly creative. It sounded similar to lots of other stuff Williams has done. I'm not saying it was a bad score, but it was far from Oscar-worthy. My views on the score are probably colored by my fairly negative opinion of the movie itself.

25. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    It was good. But it was also E.T. meets Hook. Been there done that. A.I. was MUCH more creative and interesting and DEFINATE Oscar material. I still say the oscar went to the right score here. I cannot imagine many parts of the LOTR film without Shore's amazing score. Imagine the Bridge at Khazad Dum sequence without the driving action music and male vocals. Impossible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.