main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should Kanan know who Vader is?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, Sep 1, 2014.

1. TheSilentInfluence

TheSilentInfluence Retired Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2014
    Kanan was made by Lucasfilm and Dave Filoni. So he is canon now. And he was Depa Billaba's apprentice.

2. MConDA4ever

MConDA4ever Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 30, 2014
    Yes for a kids show. Beside of the original the star wars saga of george lucas.

The clone wars was also original saga, because Obi Wan talks about it in episode 4.

Ahsoka Tano was also based upon a female alien apprentice character in the first draft of george lucas.

Kanan, ezra and the other rebel characters are OCs

3. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    You're in denial. This is canon. Besides I don't think GL has any say on what happens to SW anymore.

Revanfan1 and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  4. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Actually she appears onscreen in The Phantom Menace:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Depa_Billaba/Canon

5. MConDA4ever

Aug 30, 2014
    Canon was an invention of George Lucas. Disney dont use that. They only lable their published work as official disney product.

Kanan is a Star wars OC officially publishef by Disney company.

6. Jax_the_Admiral

Jax_the_Admiral Jedi Knight star 3

Aug 21, 2014
    Anything Disney publishes is canon unless they say its not. Its their license, their work and their say.

7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    Because of TCW I would add Yularen to the "possibly" category.

Seerow likes this.
  8. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Disney may not (or they may, I cannot be bothered to try and suss it out), but Lucasfilm very much does. They have created the Story Group specifically for this purpose and have already made official pronouncements on matters of canon.

9. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Canon merely is a headache to me. Seeing the fan spats doesn't help. Everyone accepts as they choose. Please relax, guys. You want to limit yourself to what the Mouse or Lucas says go ahead but not every fan does.

10. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    The canonicity (not even a word, is it?) of Kanan (though he is) is irrelevant to the discussion of whether or not he should/could know if Vader is Anakin. Whether you treat it as official canon, or treat it as a non-canon tale, the question is still applicable.

11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Ermm.....I'm afraid we have bad news for you....

Revanfan1 and JediFan215 like this.
  12. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    On the issue of canon, I'd go my own route. Screw the changes and retcons Disney's performed to make it easy for them to make a quick buck off of the franchise. It's EA Games and C&C all over again, making changes to what's already been made by the previous owner so they can make a cheaper route than following established canon. Disney decanonizing the EU is like how EA used time travel to undo the entire C&C storyline and start over their way. As far as I'm concerned, the "canon-EU" line doesn't exist. If anything contradicts each other, I pick what makes the most sense. End of story.

13. JediFan215

JediFan215 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 31, 2014
    Bringing this around back to topic:
    If Kanan was at the Temple when Knightfall hit, which I believe I saw he was, then he would probably know. However, if he was not, or if he was in another part of the Temple during the attack, its perfectly reasonable that he would lament the loss of Anakin and be unaware of Vader's true identity.

14. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    His whereabouts on Operation:Knightfall will probably never be discussed in Rebels. Suspect the show will ignore the PT and TCW, just focus on the OT.

15. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    Obi-Wan's comment about configuring a message to warn surviving Jedi to stay away was extremely vague. Were these just preset messages that merely said things like "return to the Temple; stay away;" etc? Or can he actually customize a message with, "Palpatine is Sith, Anakin is his apprentice, stay away," or something like that?

I kind of think that if the latter were possible, then it would be in their best interest to make such knowledge available to as many Jedi as possible rather than just a vague "don't come home," message. Also giving the surviving Jedi a chance to take up the fight, should Obi-Wan and Yoda have fallen.

As a practical matter, I don't know if it really matters if Kanan knows. What can he really do with that knowledge? Tell people? Who's going to care? If Kanan tells the merchant that was just threatened with charges of treason that Palpatine is an evil Sith, what's the merchant going to do? He probably already gathered that Palpatine's not a good dude and that the people of Lothal had been lied to by the Empire. The fact that Palpatine is a Sith is just rubbing salt into the wound of that realization.

Kanan: "Hey man, did you realize you're like hosed?"
    Merchant: "Yeah... Yeah, I got that."
    Kanan: "No, I mean like REALLY hosed?"

Same with Vader. If Kanan goes around declaring Vader to be Anakin, to what end is that useful? "Oh, so you're telling me that the heroes of The Clone Wars turned out to be bad? Gee. We kind of figured that out on our own. Add it to the list of crap we've had to deal with." :p

For the Jedi to know matters, because it shows them who the targets are, and in that effort, Palpatine and Vader are both targets regardless. Knowing that Vader is Anakin doesn't alter the fact that he is a threat that has been taking out surviving Jedi and that must be dealt with. Knowing his real name doesn't change anything from the perspective of someone like Kanan.

It mattered to someone like Luke only because knowledge that Vader was Luke's father sparked compassion. While to someone like Kanan, all it's going to do is bring up feelings of having been betrayed from within.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    That's actually a good point. Why didn't Obi-Wan reveal the Emperor's true identity as Darth Sidious? That's a pretty significant bit of information to ignore.

17. MConDA4ever

Aug 30, 2014
    Obi Wan did not now that Anakin was transformed to Darth Vader when he send the warning message. He also did not know about the Emperor beeing Darth Sidious for sure.

yoda realising the dark power of Sidious when entering his office under the galactic senate.

Mr. K knows jacks. About Darth Vader and his Master the Emperor. They are mysterious and powerfull sith lords.

Only yoda and obiwan know the truth. And both get silenced.

18. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    They learn this like two seconds later. How hard would it be for Obi-Wan to reconfigure the message with relevant information? He just did it moments earlier.

They know Palpatine = Sidious = the Emperor, and they know that Anakin is now going by the name Vader. Yes, they didn't find this out until after reconfiguring the message, but what's preventing Obi-Wan from updating the message?

Revanfan1 and TheSilentInfluence like this.
  19. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

Vader's fighting style is a lot different then when he was Anakin

20. Cevan

Cevan Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 16, 2013

I moreso meant any tactical strategies of Vader's. Skywalker was known for using effective, although a bit unorthodox, strategies throughout the Clone Wars (putting AT-TEs on asteroids to shoot at enemy ships from the rear, dropping down AT-TEs on a Separatist frigate to board them, etc.). Sure, he probably wouldn't do anything as drastic as that as Darth Vader, but hints of his tactics may be seen in his strategies as Vader. Yularen served with him for just about the entire War and knew him and his tactics quite well, so it wouldn't surprise me if Yularen at least had a suspicion or noticed a small resemblance between Vader and Skywalker's strategies. Even in the new Lords of the Sith book we see Vader using a tactic that seems like something Anakin would do (if I remember correctly, he flies his starfighter right at an enemy ship, opens the cockpit before impact, floats towards the ship in space and then boards it after his starfighter opens a hole up in the ship).

21. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't see why, it's not like Kanan knew Anakin or had any sort of connection to him.

22. MConDA4ever

Aug 30, 2014
    Two seconds does not matter anymore because the message is already gone.

There is no connection. Kanan is the average jedi who fights average battles against Battledroid style stormtroopers and a noname inquisitor.

Kanan is exactly like Ima Gundi. The clock is running and his meaningless death is almost certain.

Rebels is beyond boring. Ezras funny hair is the only thing worth watching.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    It is logical and survival intel anyway, as Anakin could be posing as himself to lure in his query to their unsuspecting doom as he would under normal circumstances and even have the temple populated by Clones dressed up as Jedi Knights(which were actually cut from the movie). So surviving Jedi would need to be warned of Anakin's treachery regardless.

24. Kablob

Kablob Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 24, 2014

[​IMG]

25. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    o_O :rolleyes: [face_sigh] :oops: [face_laugh]

^ My reaction, in order of the expressions on my face.