main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should Kidney Transplants be a Paid For Service?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Diggy , Mar 20, 2016.

1. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    That system is one I would consider, and would perhaps be the system I'd consider for drugs as well.

My point was solely that both leave you with working biological functions. You can still have kids if you've donated eggs. You can also still live on one kidney. The fact that that's only 50% of your kidneys is kind of irrelevant. It's just a testament to the human body.

Really, if you're trying to argue that people shouldn't be left then one kidney then you're saying we should only take donations from dead people. I just don't really know what point you're trying to make by arguing semantics rather than addressing my actual point (that being that egg donation and kidney donation should ultimately probably not be equated in a moral or "product" sense because one is required for an elective thing and one is required to survive).

2. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Would t that be case where prostitution is legal, like certain part of Australia or The Netherlands?

3. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I'm of the view that men and women should be free to commodify themselves and their bodies if they wish to do so without duress or coercion in any way. So informed consent to sell their bodies for reward. For me personally, the immorality of sex services is largely determined by whether the sex worker is providing the services willingly and in a safe environment. If they choose to take that step then a properly regulated industry would ensure that the customers respect the services being provided and a safe environment is created for all involved. So sex services would be delivered in the same way that other physical therapies are carried out. Licensing, regulation, standards, enforcement and audit. But that's just me and I respect the contrary view.

4. Boba Nekhbet

Boba Nekhbet Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 30, 2014
    ???!!! You're the one who brought up sperm and egg donation in the first place as an equivalent to kidney donation and I am responding to one of the reasons you put out there for why they are similar. That's not a semantic argument, I'm responding to the substance of your post.

EDIT:
    I understand that position and agree with it to a point, but again it ignores the effects of that commodification, to the extent that economizing the sexual availability of women may have an deleterious effect on the incidence of sexual harassment, rape, and violence against women generally throughout society.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I had no idea the global media had collapsed, such that international newspapers--and, indeed, German ones--couldn't publish articles in English that examine an issue or industry in depth.

LostOnHoth: They've been trying to perfect the system in Germany for over a decade. I have no desire to chase some chimeric "free market" solution. However you think it should work in theory, if in practice a legalized industry is abusive and exploitative, it ought to be destroyed.

6. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Uh, I would argue that only having two kidneys is a pretty substantial distinction because if you donate one then you'd better hope the other one never fails or you're in bit of trouble. You're essentially paying people to take on a big risk, and sometimes external pressures will force people to gamble with their lives as a result.

7. LostOnHoth

LostOnHoth Chosen One star 5

Feb 15, 2000
    I used to work for a law firm which provided legal advice to a sex industry lobby group which was trying to establish a nationally regulated sex industry and this was always the main opposition raised by church groups and others. It is of course an entirely valid objection and the response is simply that economising the sexual availability of women may also have the opposite effect in that rapes and sexual harassment (at least those driven by sexual frustration) may be avoided because the potential perpetrator has access to sexual gratification. There used to be some criminology studies which supported this position at least in Australia but I don't have them handy. The only other response is that a sex industry already exists, has always existed and will always exist, so regulating it simply acknowledges its existence and makes it safer for all involved. Sexual assaults are more often than not driven by violence and power rather than sexual gratification. I'm not sure whether the legal status of prostitution plays into the root causes of rape and sexual violence.