main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Kyle Katarn return to canon?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    The recanonization is kind of crazy as it's the lower tier characters, Thrawn aside, who get canonized fastest.

Rukh
    Fenn Shysa (for the most part)
    ARMAND Isard
    Sate Pestage

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Tarkin novel gave us Ars Dangor, and "Admiral Scree" (presumably, Terrinald), in addition to Isard and Pestage.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  3. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001

It should just be So that Kyle stole the plans on Danuta, battled Rahm Mohc, discovered a Jedi heritage and then defeated Jerec. After besting the Dark Jedi, he lived happily ever after and was never sullied with stupid, badly written, insultingly pissweak stories about people being bummed with a Force imbued willy or his apprentice, Jaden. That never happened, except in a waking nightmare in which the meek inherited the earth and the inmates control the asylum.

4. snelson

snelson Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 21, 2005
    very funny [face_laugh]

5. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    This isn't super surprising, as it means it's mostly characters that people aren't super invested in one way or another but who occupy important positions nonetheless.

6. comradepitrovsky

comradepitrovsky Jedi Master star 4

Jan 5, 2017
    Yeah, no one really cares that much about Ars Dangor, but its' necessary to have his ilk in order to make a political thriller.

BobaMatt likes this.
  7. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Right, and using him is more interesting than making up someone new.

8. Ithorians

Ithorians Jedi Master star 4

Apr 26, 2016
    I would love to have Kyle Katarn back in canon, simply because I love the Dark Forces series. It´s true that elements of Kyle, Jan, and Jerec have been used in new, canon characters, so indeed it´s not that likely to see them back, but I think that the Jedi Knight storyline isn´t deeply conflicting anything at this point (unless we say Jerec should now be called the First Brother, or something), it wouldn´t really be that disruptive to bring it back to canon if done carefully. Of course, to have a new, updated version of the Jedi Knight game would be absolutely amazing... I´m allowed to dream!!

9. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I've said it before many times I'd love a rebooted The Force Unleashed and Dark Forces.

10. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    Yeah I'm rather surprised we haven't seen more Legends Inquisitors creep back in.

MercenaryAce likes this.
  11. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    That is my biggest complaint about canon so far. So far, the output has been pretty good. However, it's a trickle rather than a flood.

The comics have so far been the most consistent EU product. Marvel having a more or less free hand.

12. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I think keeping everything manageable is a strength, but also that the 5th Brother could have been Gorc, you know?

13. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I admit, I do hope to see Jerec as the First Brother or "the" High Inquisitor.

:)

Ithorians and BobaMatt like this.
  14. BobaMatt

Aug 19, 2002
    I fear you are forgetting someone.

[​IMG]

15. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    Given all the WEG influences, I wouldn't be surprised if Tremayne popped up.

BobaMatt likes this.
  16. Darth ExlaX

Darth ExlaX Jedi Padawan

Sep 11, 2016
    I hope this happens!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

17. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    As consolation for being cut out of Rogue One, Mon Mothma named a street on Coruscant after Kyle Katarn.

It lasted three days and there were 2048 casualties.

No one crosses Kyle Katarn.

WMIRTUTSF, Darth_Duck, AV-6R7 and 5 others like this.
  18. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Kyle Katarn is one of my favorite Star Wars characters for sure, which is saying something as usually my favorites are the crazy aliens. Cuz humans are boring, but I like Kanan alot because he reminds me of Kyle. Would I like to see Kyle in the new canon? Sure, I enjoyed Thrawn reentering canon but I would still be okay if it didn't happen. Just give me a Black Series 6" Kyle figure please, I got the Jaina one.

19. Yunzabit

Yunzabit Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2015
    No. No more Rebellion-era Jedi. Kanan and Ezra are two too many.

20. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Kyle wouldn't need to necessarily come back as a Jedi.

21. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2010
    Well Kyle could still be a Jedi after ROTJ, but that would probably mean he'd have to die, or retire and disappear so the First Order doesn't come looking for him, cause you know they'd probably want to hunt down former Jedi as well.

Kyle as just a mercenary/spy would be fine for me, he doesn't need to be a jedi or force user.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
  22. masterskywalker

masterskywalker Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 2, 2001
    It's hard to take the place of someone when you're dead. :p
    There's plenty of spots to Forrest Gump Kyle back into the timeline, isn't that the whole point of the books and comics to begin with? The trick is to write a story *about* Kyle first that's GOOD, and then build him from there.
    Kyle as a character is initially defined by anger. He's a Rebel mercenary with strong attachments, force sensitive, who CAN use a lightsaber but is constantly ruled by his darker emotions. He kills Maw in bloodlust, rages when he "loses" Jan, and over time grows to trust people again.
    But on the subject of vidja game characters, we've only gotten Cal who's *actually* still alive for fun, gamer adventures. Disney has a bad habit of killing off all their newest, most popular creations.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019