main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Future/Fate. Death/Redemption/Other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should Kylo Ren Be Killed Off or Redeemed?

1. Killed Off

343 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Redeemed

547 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other

183 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Regular Mustache

The Regular Mustache Force Ghost star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    I love that shot of Rey bungee jumping.

Lomesa and Gigoran Monk like this.
  2. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003
    Ben Solo must be redeemed or Han Solo died for nothing. Simple.

3. Gigoran Monk

Gigoran Monk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 2, 2016
    I think that’s a centrally important point. Han’s extraordinarily brave act of love (which continued even after Kylo ran him through) must have had a significant effect on Kylo. I suspect it is ultimately what will save him.

4. ChrisLyne

ChrisLyne Force Ghost star 4

Oct 29, 2002
    Yeah, I'm still on the side of redeemed, but I want it to be a turn back to the light then earning redemption rather than just at his death.

But if he's gotta die then let Chewie do it!!

Jacques who likes this.
  5. Birkendoc

Birkendoc Chosen One star 4

Sep 20, 2001
    Moving to the right thread. Sorry. just ignore.

6. Jar Jar Skywalker

Jar Jar Skywalker Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 18, 2017
    Definitely redeemed. Killing him would be a waste of a great character. I think he will team up with Rey for a brief while to defeat Snoke, then go in exile for proper redemption.

7. Trikuza23

Trikuza23 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 10, 2015
    I prefer exile over him dying, too. He's obviously done too much bad to join the resistance, but there's a lot that he could do. He can still fight dark side users in the future, without being part of the resistance or any side.

Jar Jar Skywalker likes this.
  8. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    the resistance won't last much longer anyway. once they finish the war, they'll dissolve and the focus would return to building the galactic government again. i mean unless they decide to carry on in secret - a secret society outside the government dedicated to protecting the galaxy from... the dark side of the force and its agents. the jedi would be like secret agents then lol.

anyway, if i imagine a long term future with kylo/the resistance, i can't make it work, unless his presence is kind of minimal. perhaps he has his higher up contacts that send him on assignments with one of the few trusted people to accompany him. i mean, i think the resistance would always consider him a risk. leia herself might be able to forgive and trust him, but most of the resistance (if they know who he is) wouldn't be able to. also he doesn't seem like someone who would interact well with everyone. people would need to be assigned to him.

so secret agent kylo with "handler" can work.

9. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    Never thought of this scenario in context of needing a handler, but this definitely makes sense. Who would you envision in that role? Rey, a nonforce user, an entirely new character?

10. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    it would have to be someone continually doing other "secret" missions (someone in it for the long term), who interacts well with kylo and that he will defer to ethically if it comes to that. most ideally it would be another force user, but i think a non-force user with good instincts could work as well. in other words kylo would have some trust put in him due to whoever is in charge of this believing that he wants to do good now, or serve their cause, but because of what he was before he is a risk, and so they would think someone needs to keep an eye on him. he'd have to accept that this may well be the case indefinitely. and if he "goes rogue" he will be hunted down - and in some cases (depending on *how* he "went rogue"), killing him would be authorized if the only way to stop him.

11. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001
    as of right now, the only person that fits that bill is Rey. She's the only one with the abilities to take on a rogue Kylo/Ben and put him down if need be. And those could be fun novels to read. Opportunities for action, adventure, sniping and snark as well. And a heaping dose to gravitas too.

oncafar likes this.
  12. Lomesa

Lomesa Jedi Knight star 2

May 13, 2016

Rey would seem a pretty good choice, but considering Finn's infiltration work in TLJ, I can see Kylo and Finn teaming up in post ep. 9 novels/comics too.

oncafar likes this.
  13. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    I would totally pick up a novel about those two teaming up. Their personalities could have a really interesting dynamic.

oncafar likes this.
  14. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    i suppose i don't think finn would *want* to work so closely with kylo. i think both he and poe would want nothing further to do with kylo. i also don't think that rey would be the only one for the job, because i don't think that it's really about power. few people would be as powerful as kylo with the force. because whoever is in charge believes kylo is on their side, they wouldn't see a need to make sure someone who can match him in power is there. but someone who isn't at a complete disadvantage would be a requirement, which is why a force user would be preferable. but i was also thinking of some of TCW and Rebels episodes with the mandalorians as some of their combat techniques and weapons are actually designed to deal with jedi/force users. the relationship between kylo and handler(s) would be crucial as well (who may be more important than what for potential handlers, iow).

i guess the one thing that would be more concerning is mind control. even a person who is "strong minded" might succumb to kylo if he tried his "mind powerz." i wonder if some alien who is immune to jedi mind tricks would be needed. although finn is really resistant to mental conditioning and may well have an exceptionally strong mind...

Lomesa likes this.
  15. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    Just as a wacky idea....I wonder if you could do something like, the New Jedi Order has 2 'houses'. Maybe similar to Harry Potter. You can have the light house, led by Rey, and the dark house led by Kylo, and Jedi recruits are placed into the 'house' that they belong. No longer is each side fighting the other, where each side is an polarizing extreme view of the Force intent on eradicating the other side. Both sides keep each other in check, both need to work together to get things done, and both recognize the inherent sides and strengths of the Force for the greater good.

The civil war between the galaxy, and the Force itself, is then healed.

16. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    that reminds me of assassin's creed: "we work in the dark to serve the light."

DarkGingerJedi, Lomesa and Birkendoc like this.
  17. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Nope, not true. Just to attempt was good enough. It was important to HAN'S character. Also don't be that predictable.

18. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    Sounds more like a probation officer. I don't really see that as Rey's future.. But that's just my opinion.

19. Birkendoc

Sep 20, 2001

How on earth is that too predictable for story telling?

Predictable is someone uttering, "I have a bad feeling about this."
    Predictable is someone in the Skywalker lineage getting an arm lopped off.

Just because one does not like a potential story arc (redemption of a conflicted character) does not render it too predictable. Yes, there is precedence with Anakin Skywalker, but the journey is far from predictable.

20. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    Yea, there are countless, new ways a redemption story could go. We only had Vader's redemption where we did not get to see the development or the aftermath.

I think dismissing it as predictable because of Vader's prior redemption is so limiting and shortsighted. There is so much more to it then 'poof, he's redeemed!'

21. ObieLuNobi

ObieLuNobi Jedi Youngling

Oct 27, 2017
    He killed his own father and hundreds of others. He should not be redeemed how could Leia or Luke ever accept him again let alone Rey or countless others. There is no way Chewy won’t pull his arms off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
  23. TheLassJedi

TheLassJedi Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 27, 2017
    Redemption. I doubt he'll even be a villain in IX, though according to Adam, he is not a villain at all. He's much deeper than that.

24. oncafar

Jan 10, 2017
    Is the age of the anti-hero really over? I'm not tired of anti-heroes.

25. Gambit00

Gambit00 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 30, 2014
    Possible redemption, though a common element of a villain's redemption is that sometimes they die. I know when people start hearing that Kylo is "complicated" etc, they immediately think redemption, but villains can be complicated and still stay a villain.

Jacques who likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.