main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Future/Fate. Death/Redemption/Other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should Kylo Ren Be Killed Off or Redeemed?

1. Killed Off

343 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Redeemed

547 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other

183 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    If Rey isn't a Skywalker he needs to be redeemed.

2. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    So Because he's a Skywalker he has to be redeemed?

3. 11-4D

11-4D Force Ghost star 5

Apr 6, 2015
    Because he's the only Skywalker, sure.

4. Adept

Adept Force Ghost star 4

Mar 4, 2006
    Seriously....why? Why should I expect him to be redeemed? Because we need to see a redemption in the story...?

Well Finn walked away after being raised by evil, BAM done.

Because he's related to people we like?

So all those children ripped from their parents arms and made to be Storm Troopers....they can just eat a blaster bolt without a care in the world because we don't know or care who THEIR Mommy and Daddy are?

Because we need more Skywalkers?

Well....we don't. Star Wars has told great stories before without the presence of the Skywalkers, and the next confirmed trilogy is dealing with completely NEW people not tied to the Skywalker Saga. If it comes down to it, let the Skywalker legacy be a galaxy left stronger than it was before and a new order of people to stand against the Darkness in whatever form it takes. Let's see some other families with different dynamics and issues in this amazing universe.

5. kenobisdeed

kenobisdeed Jedi Knight star 1

May 28, 2016
    Given Kylo was the only character in TFA that I found remotely engaging or interesting, I am keen to see how his story plays out, although I would assume from what I seen in TFA that it will, of course be handled terribly. Maybe it was also that the acting from the other leads was so laughable in TFA I don't know but I feel like if the unlikely should happen and this movie, against all the odds, somehow redeems this attempt at a reboot then Kylo will play a big part in that.

6. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    This is not the "Bash TFA while barely linking your screed back to Kylo's death or redemption" thread.

7. Ben-Solo

Ben-Solo Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2017
    If Rian Johnson and JJ Abrams decide that the overall narrative supports Ben Solo being redeemed than he should be (which I believe will be the case); they will have to though do so in a manner that shows him as a man who chose his lineage over his hateful passion. This will all start to take place in Epiosde VIII, when Kylo refuses to kill either his mother or Rey and may even help Rey and his mother escape at times in this film.

#RedeemBenSolo

8. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
    Apologies, sometimes I forget that this forum alone in the universe, does not allow negative opinions on a particular subject, in this case TFA. Very starnge, which is why I forget. Perhaps instead of the warnings over 'bashing' which clearly equates to any anf all criticism, you just warn that if your opinion of TFA is not positive it will not be tolerated?

9. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Hardly. Plenty of people here have been critical of TFA and not been banned or silenced. The point is that 1. pure rants without any points for discussion are best left to blogs and 2. your rant wasn't even on topic.

So, either engage in actual on-topic discussion or limit yourself to a blog. It's not that hard.

10. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    How is Finn's story a redemption? He may have been a stormtrooper (against his will) for the first five minutes of Ep. 7, but it was a defection, definitely not a redemption. He never did anything that would require a redemption.

The thing is, it would be very depressing if the Skywalker saga ended with its line falling to darkness after Vader's redemption. Imo, it would significantly alter the significance of that redemption.

Ymmv and all, but the Skywalkers are important to many fans. They are the beginning of Star Wars. Especially if Ep. 9 is going to conclude their saga. Luckily, I think LF recognizes their importance and will give them an ending that is hopeful and in line with the significance of Vader's redemption and Anakin's return to the light side before going on to tell more stories about the GFFA.

11. kenobisdeed

May 28, 2016
  12. I would buy his redemption only if he becomes the true protagonist in Episode IX
    I would like to see him exiled in the style of Ulic-Qel-Droma

Jedi Merkurian and Lucillalin like this.
  13. cut-of-space

cut-of-space Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 29, 2017
    What if the trilogy ended with Kylo serving out his sentence on Megalox Beta? I'd love to see Kylo in front of a space court & jury, even just briefly. It's a perfect compromise between the fans who want him dead and the ones who want him to survive and be fully redeemed. Megalox is home to some of the worst criminals in the galaxy so Kylo would fit in well, with his powers he could even rise to become prince of the place. But first, he would need to apologize to his family and the galaxy for his actions. If he fails to do that I think he should be killed off. But if he's actually remorseful about his crimes... I'd be happy to see him seek atonement on Megalox rather than face execution. Ultimately, there should be some kind of justice for Kylo's victims, right? I can't be the only here who wants some kind of justice for Lor San Tekka and Han Solo.

[​IMG]

14. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

THIS. I've never liked the notion that because a character is a skywalker, he should be redeemed. Armatige Hux has a more sympathetic backstory than kylo ren. His father physically and psychologically abused him. His dad straight up, didn't like him. How come nobody wants hux saved? He's a villain, he had a sucky childhood and was practically forced into what he is now. Phasma......uh.....well.....phasma's just a psychopath, but the point is no character should just be redeemed based on their family name. I'd like for them to have him stop being emo ren in this movie. Embrace his path and his purpose. Go all in.

Jedi Merkurian and Shadao like this.
  15. sls062286

sls062286 Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2016
    That ship has sailed. That was the purpose of killing his father, to go all in. However it had the opposite effect. It also looks like hes going to refuse to kill his mother. Also everything weve been told and seen so far indicates an even more tortured Kylo. Hux is already all in. He isn't questioning anything. Plus, none of his backstory is in the movie. I dont think theyd ave told it in a book ig it were going to play some role in a redemption arc for Hux. Also Kylo is a main character. Of course hes going to be talked about more. Hux wasnt even in either of the first two trailers. Bottom line this is the story of the Skywalkers. We have new a trilogy coming out without them. However this is their story. I dont get why itbannoys people so much that a set of movies that bills itself as the story of a family get upset when that family has the focus . Im no going to get upset when Days of Our Lives is all about the Brady and Demera families.

Darth Gummybear likes this.
  16. blodie

blodie Jedi Padawan

Dec 14, 2015
    I would Have been okay with Kylo's redemption if he actually showed more struggles when he decided to kill his father. but with the way they did it... I can't forgive him nor believe in redemption. Sadly it will happen.

17. SgtTimBob

SgtTimBob Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 5, 2014

I don't know. His reaction to Han's death appeared to be one of immediate regret.

[​IMG]

18. Cantina Regular

Cantina Regular Jedi Knight star 3

May 24, 2016
    I find it funny that Darth Vader's redemption gets less flack than a possible Ben Solo redemption. Vader helped conquer, subdue, and enslave a galaxy; but changed sides last minute to save his son that he didn't even know. But no no Force forbid Ben Solo has a change of heart after reconciling with his mother, uncle/mentor, and Rey who I still assume is very closely connected to him.

I bet he turns in VIII and helps Rey fight off the Red Guards

rorow1 likes this.
  19. Lucillalin

Lucillalin Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 10, 2016
    Second this. I actually suggested this long time ago, I'd like him to actually have to live with the consequences of his actions. And I'm also answering this because I love the story of Ulic Qel-Droma, wish they would film that arch, Exar Kun and all...

I'm fine with going-all-baddie or painful redemption.

20. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

Vader died for his sins. He cannot be redeemed or be forgiven for what he has done. Hence why he died. His legacy can only be redeemed through his son and daughter's actions. Which is why Anakin would weep for Kylo Ren's actions.

I would rather have the Skywalker line perish than let it be continued by Kylo Ren. He supports the notion that Skywalkers are destined to be evil and thus a plague to the galaxy. Letting him to continue the bloodline would only make his children suffer for his sins. Vader was lucky that he had children before he went evil. Hence Luke can have fond reflections of Anakin Skywalker the Jedi rather than Darth Vader the Sith Lord that Leia could not get over.

21. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    And I have the opposite opinion- I actually think Kylo dying unredeemed on the dark side supports the notion the Skywalkers are destined to be evil and a plague. It also renders Vader's redemption meaningless. It is a hopeless and extremely negative end to the Skywalkers and I doubt that is going to be the conclusion of their story.

So I guess we will just have to agree to disagree.

22. Knessa84

Knessa84 Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 21, 2014
    I think most people missed that though. What they did see was Kylo practically pushing Han off the bridge as he fell. Regardless of whether that was the intent, that's what it looks like when you watch that scene. Is it one of JJ's "mistakes"? Who knows.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

23. Shadao

Shadao Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 31, 2017

This is why having Kylo Ren as the last Skywalker is problematic no matter what conclusion awaits him. Once you start down the dark path, forever it will dominate your destiny. Redemption will not erase his crimes nor will be enough to forgive them.

This is why the best solution... is to have another Skywalker in the new generation. One who hasn't fallen to the Dark Side. One who can prove that choices, not blood determines who you are. One who is deemed worthy to carry the Skywalker Lightsaber and the legacy that comes with it.

24. Horror_Express

Horror_Express Jedi Master star 1

Apr 19, 2002
    I want to see him redeemed, but only if the SG makes the story of his fall sympathetic. I think they know what they're doing.

25. Darphus_Mon

Darphus_Mon Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 23, 2003

Until JJ's commentary track, I wasn't sure if Kylo was feeling regret or feeling Leia's pain.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.