main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Kylo Ren's Future/Fate. Death/Redemption/Other?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

?

Should Kylo Ren Be Killed Off or Redeemed?

1. Killed Off

343 vote(s)
    32.0%
  2. Redeemed

547 vote(s)
    51.0%
  3. Other

183 vote(s)
    17.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    Sooo...Ben's good ol gramps:

1) Killed a whole tribe of Tuskin Raiders(women and children too)
    2)Helped kill Mace Windu
    3) Murdered a crapload of CHILDREN at the Jedi Temple.
    4) Nearly force choked his PREGNANT wife to death
    5) Tried to kill his master.
    6) a boatload of evil deeds in the twenty years between trilogies.
    7) Kidnapped and tourtured Leia. Killed her shipmates.
    8) Was part of an ENTIRE planet being destroyed.
    7) Did kill his master(sort of).
    8) almost killed his son.
    9) Tortured Han and trapped him in Carbonite.
    8) Tortured Leia AGAIN.
    9) Cut off his Sons hand...

And a whole bunch more......

And He can be redeemed but Benlo can't?

Please.'

2. vypernight

vypernight Jedi Master star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    My take on it . . .

Since Leia was rumored to have a larger role in IX, my theory is that Rey was to take out the Knights of Ren before Kylo defeated her. Then Leia showed up and offered her son one last chance to turn back. He refuses, and she's forced to kill him.

Now with Leia gone, I'm predicting that Rey defeats Kylo before getting overwhelmed by the KoR. Kylo then defeats the remaining KoR and dies a hero. A copy of Vader, but Kylo probably wanted it that way.

3. BalanceOfTheForce

BalanceOfTheForce Jedi Master star 4

Dec 18, 2016
    He NEEDS to survive. They Skywalker bloodline can't die

4. Gorelab

Gorelab Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 4, 2016
    Anakin's redemption wouldn't have worked as well if he didn't die in the process. His dying makes it poignant and avoids all the uncomfortable questions around it and the whole two decades spent running around as Space Hitler's main lacky. I wouldn't say Kylo Ren is unredeemable but it'd come off as super cheap if it was just accepted and Star Wars doesn't seem like the type of series to involve the Space Hague.

5. Kthru12

Kthru12 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 4, 2016

I think Kylo will probably kill himself at the end of IX.

Either deliberately to avoid capture (a la Hitler) or in the "Self-disposing villain" way.

Either way, they will definitely allow Rey to keep her hands clean.

I also don't think redemption is on the table anymore. They explored that idea in TLJ because people expected Kylo to follow Vader's storyline. The twist was that it backfired on Rey, so I doubt she tries to go down that road again.

mlsw likes this.
  6. themoth

themoth Force Ghost star 5

Dec 5, 2015
    Hmmm. I think kill him off. He did something Vader couldn’t, which is kill his own master and take control. Which is completely opposite to the classic trilogy. So why not continue with that vibe? Let the past die, and he kills himself. The opposite of Vader being redeemed in ROTJ.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Darth Gummybear

Darth Gummybear Jedi Master star 3

Apr 15, 2016
    It was not fake; it survived Snoke's demise. That last scene where Kylo looks up and Rey shuts the door of the Millennium Falcon was them looking at each other through the bond. The whole point of them bonding in this film is to make their connection more poignant in the next movie. So there is something "special" between them.

Luke knows he cannot save Kylo, but he told Leia no one is truly gone. Some people may not like to hear it, but that applies to Ben Solo.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The final "connection" was not silent like all the previous ones. Unlike their earlier times of seeing each other, this time there was a soundtrack blaring. It seemed more like the saga's standard of 2 Force sensitive people hearing/sensing each other.

I appreciated how, as the film progressed, they visually showed Ben's degradation through the continual worsening of his scar. That thing was festering by the end of the film.

Strongbow and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  9. ladygrey45

ladygrey45 Jedi Master star 4

Dec 30, 2015
    its hard to say I know he's going to fight rey he seems steeped in the dark at the end of the movie but not sure if he's doing the right thing, he looked sad.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    And made the exact opposite choices as Anakin at pretty much every single turn.

themoth likes this.
  11. oncafar

oncafar Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2017
    i still really want ben solo to find his way back. i need him to because this story has become too heartbreaking for me. and i don't want to watch kylo just put out of his misery.

i felt like i was watching the story the lovely bones, or will be come ix. kylo is so psychologically damaged thanks to snoke corrupting his mind since boyhood that i don't know that he can return.

i hope ghost luke will keep him company at least.

12. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

Just because it survived women's death doesn't mean it wasn't fake. He literally boasted about being the one who linked their minds. The movie drives home the point that nobody is checking for Ben moving forward. The twins established it first. Then Luke shut down Kylo's taunts when he thought he was there to "save his soul". Rey put the final nail in when she broke their connection. Like I said, I dunno what's special between them moving forward, especially after learning their bond was fake.

13. Rhyoth

Rhyoth Jedi Master star 3

Dec 20, 2015
    Could we make this poll again in the Ep IX section, so we coulod see if people minds have changed about it.

(and let's have less biased & partial options this time)

14. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014
    Kylo has had two major opportunities to turn away from the Dark now.

I won't say I won't buy a redemption story, but if it happens, it had better be profound and it better not be some kind of "love conquers all" nonsense. JJ will have to avoid recapitulation of Vader's redemption as well.

IMO, it would be more interesting to me if Kylo just steeped himself in the dark now, and he appears very corrupted in IX. His scar was already looking nasty, so his physical corruption has already started.

15. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    It may not seem so yet, but Kylo took a huge step forward in killing Snoke. He removed that malevolent influence from his life. That is huge. If Snoke bridged the bond between Kylo and Rey, it is quite ironic because it led to his demise since Kylo got the conviction to kill Snoke from the bond he formed with Rey.

Yet, Kylo also took a step back when he assumed the mantle of the First Order. It will be interesting to see how he comes into his own now that he is free from Snoke's yoke. I predict a few Force ghost visits in Kylo's future.

16. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
    Some of the deeds he either commits or is complicit in are either just as bad or worse.

17. Uncivilized

Uncivilized Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2015
    It seems like Rian Johnson made it a point that Kylo can't be redeemed. Kylo made a very black and white decision that he prefers power over anything else. I don't want IX to be about redemption. That has been done. We need something bigger. My hope is that we get some grand revelation about the force that completely changes our understanding of the Jedi and the Sith.

CairnsTony and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  18. Talos of Atmora

Talos of Atmora Force Ghost star 5

Jul 3, 2016
  19. jewlmc17

jewlmc17 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 2, 2013
    None of which changes the horrors Anakin did.

20. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    Love conquers all was the theme of the original trilogy. Was it nonsense then? This is Star Wars and Kylo is the last Solo/Skywalker. I am sure the ending he receives will be more poignant than just dying corrupted.

He has already been shown to be enraged at the end of Ep. 7 and Ep. 8. Is he going to just do that for the entirety of Ep. 9? I do not think so and I do not think he will undergo a complete personality change an become cold and calculated. Therefore, his conflict and connection with Rey will come into play in whatever ends up ultimately happening to him.

I think he can start making good decisions rather than bad ones. He already made one good decison when he eliminated Snoke. I do not think it is just about redemption the way it was with Vader anyway. It is going to be more complex than that.

21. littlepadawan91

littlepadawan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2016
    Wherever you stand on this debate, I hope we are all aware that JJ is gonna do literally whatever he wants. So it doesn’t matter if Kylo blinked in that one scene or if this or that line foreshadows X or Y.

Speculation can only lead to frustration. Which leads to anger, which leads to hate.

civilsecret, theraphos and Blastaar like this.
  22. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    The point being that the movie has gone to great lengths to show that at every opportunity, Kylo Ren made the exact opposite choices as Anakin Skywalker. With Anakin, we had the son who knew the evil in his father, the son begged him to turn away from that evil, and Anakin did so in order to save his son. With Kylo, we had the father who knew the darkness in his son, the father begged him to turn away from that evil, and the son murdered his father in cold blood.

With Anakin, we had someone strong in the Force who sensed the goodness within him, who begged him to turn away from evil, and he did. With Kylo Ren, we had someone strong in the Force who sensed the goodness within him, who begged him to turn away from evil, and he instead gave in to his hatred, striking down both of his masters. They even spelled it out:

Luke - If you strike me down in anger, I will always be with you.
    *Kylo strikes Luke down in anger*
    Luke - See ya 'round, kid.

The conflict we saw in Kylo Ren throughout this movie was literally the result of Snoke trolling him. He stoked that conflict in order to bait Rey. Ren snuffed out that conflict.

EDIT:
    No, but if it's Rey's love that conquers the darkness in Ren, then it would be the height of misogynistic bantha poodoo. A standard line of attack in abusive relationships is when the abuser says that the abused has no value beyond the value that the abuser assigns to them. This is literally what he was saying to Rey: You're nothing. You're nobody. No one loves you. No one values you but me.

23. Blastaar

Blastaar Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 25, 2015

You know, I saw so many reylo shippers (here and on the cantina) argue that rey being unrelated was the bets option since is its not about bloodlines and being special and all of that. It seems that folks are all for the notion that "nobody is special just because of their blood". (nvm that that was never a trope of star wars) They're for that notion until we start talking about kylo being irredeemable or possibly dying. I get that kylo is the last skywalker, but he's a diseased maniac. His father tried to save him and was murdered. His mother and uncle have finally acknowledged that he is beyond help. Luke even told leia that he's here to "confront" him, not save him. Leia agreed. Rey gave him a look of "i'm done" before shutting down their skype connection. JJ may do what RJ did and ignore TLJ, (although rj left no plot threads running anyways) but there's nobody looking for ben anymore. I think its unlikely that he'll just change his mind at this point.

unicorn and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  24. Strongbow

Strongbow Force Ghost star 5

Nov 6, 2014

I think his relationship with Rey WILL come into play. But we cannot see a recapitulation of Vader's redemption. Seen it.

As for why I don't want to see "love conquers all"... There is NO reason for Rey to love Kylo. He IS a monster. He murdered his father. He rejected the light AGAIN in Snoke's throneroom. He called Rey trash (employing the abusers more classic ploy.... "everybody thinks you're trash, except me. You have to depend on me") He tried to kill Luke. Twice. What is there to love? His rock-hard abs? I love Driver's portrayal of Ren. It's great. But Kylo made a choice. While I expect him to remain complex. he's not a good man.

25. Darth Gummybear

Apr 15, 2016
    I disagree. We know Kylo has been a conflicted character since the first movie. It is part of his character. Snoke claims he bridged the bond because he knew Kylo would not be able to hide his conflict from Rey. The conflict was already there.

I agree it will not be like Vader's redemption, but I think that is because it is going to be more complicated than redemption, especially compared to Vader's eleventh hour turn.

I do not know if Rey "should" love Kylo. I am not concerned with should or can in this case. I do think she made the right decision to reject him. I also think they forged a important connection that will play out somehow in Ep. 9. I wonder about him. My impressions is he got the conviction to kill his master because of the connection he forged with her and his belief she would turn and stand with him. She facilitated his rise to Supreme Leader.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.