Should Kyp Durron be included on any future Jedi Council?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Gatherer, Sep 10, 2001.

?

Should Kyp Durron be included on any future Jedi Council?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
Yes 30 vote(s) 57.7%
No 22 vote(s) 42.3%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
  2. Kadue Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yep, no matter what type of council, if someone has earned the rank, they should not be excluded just because of their viewpoint. It actually means that they SHOULD be there so that there is balance and different viewpoints.
  3. The Gatherer Jedi Youngling

star 6
    I believe that this is an interesting question? Should Kyp be included on the future Jedi Council?

I believe no.

By the time of the end of the NJO series, IF the council is re-formed, I think it will be a mix of the older and younger generations. Kyp, being of the older generation, will not find a place. Why? There are more level headed and rational people than him, ie: Luke, Corran and Kam.

Kyp has flirted with the Dark Side too many times in the past, and for someone that does not respect authority, how can HE be respected as an authority figure?
  4. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    definately. A Council should have alls opinions, not just Lukes yes-men and cronies
  5. jade_angel Jedi Master

star 4
    I say no because Kyp is in his mid thirties and even Jacen has more sense then him. It'd probably take him another thirty years for him to finally come to his senses and realize that what he did and what he is doing is not the best way to settle a conflict.
  6. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    yeah, we should let the Vong take all the planets first...
  7. RingoJuna Jedi Knight

star 3
    Nope, because quite frankly he is a weiner. Thank you and good night.
  8. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    Yes, he needs to take both Luke and Mara's place on the Council. That way, it can actually be called a Jedi Council without lying.
  9. Jedimaster_Prowl Force Ghost

star 4
    Man, that was a low blow. But I think he should be on the Council. Why have a Councilk if everyone is going to think the same. You need different minds. Not those who think similar.
  10. barnsthefatjedi Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Of course he should. He is one of the most powerful and experienced Jedi there is. His viewpoint is certainly no reason to exclude him.
  11. Tahiri_2 Jedi Knight

star 1
    Even though kyp is nothing close to my favorite character I believe he should but included on any future Jedi council. This is because, at the end of JNO, if he is still living, he will be one of the older Jedi. I can see Luke taking the place (not necessarily replacing) of yoda. After the Vong have left, kyp should be more mature. Also, Anikin's generation and younger seem too young to be on a council. Though age doesn't really matter that much, the younger jedi have more physical energy to fight. Also, that generation is need to train the next, one on one.
  12. menilma Jedi Master

star 4
    yes he should be on the council but only if he gets himself together a bit more. more than one viewpoint is positve but not one that could easily lead to the dark side. kyp's way is hard to balance the right way, kinda risky..
  13. JediJSolo Force Ghost

star 4
    Good question Gatherer. But I don?t think that I can give a simple Yes or No answer.

I have a strong belief that all viewpoints should be represented. However, I also believe that those viewpoints should be represented with a certain amount of maturity and understanding of other people?s viewpoints.

I see Kyp as an extremist, based on both his actions and on his beliefs. We have seen no evidence that he ever bothers to consider other people?s ideas. If a possible solution is presented to Kyp by someone, if that solution does not fit into his preconceived notions as to how the galaxy should work, he dismisses the other person?s idea as preposterous, without giving it due consideration. Kyp is also the kind of person who is willing to do anything to get what he wants. People like that are unpredictable and, quite often, untrustworthy.

Jacen is also an extremist, however he is much more open-minded to other viewpoints. When an opposing viewpoint is presented to him, he gives that viewpoint all due consideration before deciding to continue believing his own viewpoint. This is a fairly small difference, as far as end results are concerned, but it is a large enough difference that had the question been ?Do you think that Jacen should be on the new Jedi council?? I would have been able to give a definite answer of Yes.

I think that if Kyp doesn?t manage to get himself killed by the end of the NJO, and if he decides to start considering other people?s opinions, than he should be on the council. However, it he fails to achieve either of these requirements, than he should not be on the council.

And just in case you were wondering, I did in fact vote Yes.
  14. Balance_Point Jedi Master

star 4
    I voted No, not because I don't think he'd make a good addition to the Council (I do; again, it's that viewpoint thing), but because I doubt that Kyp would ever want to be on the Jedi Council. Kyp doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who'd sit around all day and spout wisdom and philosophy to others, somehow... especially if he'd be sitting there with a bunch of people who, for the most part, all disagree with him.
  15. I-poodoo Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes, maybe not as the head of the council but if he isn't on it it would mean that a large number of the jedi aren't being properly represented in their governing body.

Also it might actually mellow Kyp out. Convince him that yes the Jedi are doing something to defeat the Vong, even when it is not exactly what he advocated.
  16. MaceWinducannotdie Jedi Master

star 4
    I must say no. If it were a matter of his having a dissenting voice I'd be fine with it because there should be different viewpoints on the council, but I view Kyp as a war criminal for both his Sun Crusher crusade (he shouldn't get off on the Exar Kun defense) and his lying to the NR forces about the Yuuzhan Vong "superweapon" (it is completely wrong to offer fraudulent intel). Such an individual should not be free, much less on the Jedi Council.

The future Jedi counsel should be...

1) Luke
    2) Mara
    3) Jacen who is wise beyond his years
    4) Kam (who, unlike Kyp seems truly redeemed from the Dark Side)
    5) Tionne (yeah I know fans wouldn't like that, but wars not make one great)
    6) Kyle Katarn if we ever hear from him again
    7) Corran, hopefully everyone else can help him with his cop-with-a-lightsaber mentality
    8) Leia if she really ever focuses on being a Jedi

Well, that's my dream council, and Kyp ain't in it.
  17. Lianna Jedi Master

star 4
    Kyp should be on the next Jedi counsel only if he tempers himself. I think that he and Luke could make a good match if they could come to some common ground and see each other's point of view.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.