main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Should Leia be a Jedi or Politician in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Allana_Rey, Nov 3, 2012.

?

Should Leia be a Jedi in the ST?

1. Yes

131 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. No

55 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Unsure

16 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Maybe

26 vote(s)
    11.4%
  1. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    One interesting way VII could go... Leia's a Jedi and in her first or second term as "Supreme Chancellor" or whatever title the head of state has for whatever the new government is (Republic, New Republic, Galactic Alliance, whatever), and things are going great, nobody really bats an eye that she's a Jedi AND a politician (something the EU kinda dealt with a little bit occasionally, the notion of a Force-using political leader, how it could be seen as dangerous, too much of too many kinds of power, repeat of Palpatine).

But then something happens. Maybe it's not really public knowledge, even among the upper echelons of the government, that Leia & Luke are the children of Vader. Maybe that knowledge is used to discredit Leia, or just generally cause chaos. Or maybe something's done specifically to discredit Luke and/or the Jedi, causing the public/Senate to call for Leia to distance herself from the Jedi, or denounce the Jedi as rogue agents (if not enemies) of the government, religious vigilantes or something, and that's part of the conflict and it's up to Leia's kids, Luke's kids, whoever--along with Luke and, perhaps against his wife's PUBLIC wishes, Han, to find out the truth.

I guess that might be too similar to the events of LOTF, the whole publicity of the series being events that drive a wedge between the Skywalker & Solo families. Maybe they wouldn't even have to portray it that way--it's how the people in the film might view it, but not how the Skywalkers & Solos themselves (or their closest friends) view it, but maybe Luke worries it DID come from within the Jedi he taught, and has to consider that maybe one of his students, now scattered across the galaxy doing Jedi things, had fallen to the dark side & enacted a plan to sow dissension in the galaxy in a bid for power, but the heroes discover it's even worse--maybe one Jedi WAS used as a pawn, but was oblivious to the true nature of things, and it's some other new threat.

....okay, that got a little off-topic there. So, yeah, Leia... politician AND Jedi, maybe that could work. But I'd like her to still have her Leia fighting spirit, even if she doesn't use her lightsaber & Force-powers to display it if she sees any action in the films... still going with a blaster when it comes to battle. I think "Jedi" needs to be in there in some way, though--not an afterthought like in the EU, where she'd take two steps forward, three steps back it seemed between every different book/series until FINALLY she became a full Jedi decades later.

2. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Yeah, Leia was the worst in EU as far as wishy-washiness between books. Han and Luke were generally portrayed the same (except when the Black Fleet Crisis trilogy had him become a hermit and living in Darth Vader's palace. In TTT, Leia had some Jedi training and used her saber occasionally in HTTE and TLC, but then in some of the others, she was back to I-hardly-know-how-to-lift-a-pebble-with-the-Force, and then The New Rebellion comes out and she's using the Force like a Jedi Master...and yet at the end she up and shoots Kueller instead of fighting him saber-to-saber. So, yeah...they needed to find a plan for Leia and stick to it.

3. Storybound

Storybound Jedi Padawan star 1

Jun 1, 2013
    Whaaaaaaaaaaa?

4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    It was stupid, and it ended swiftly. Thank goodness.

5. johnrain39

johnrain39 Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 30, 2012
    It would be great seeing Leia and Luke with light sabers, defending their children who were beaten down.

agentkrycek likes this.
  6. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think she should be a Jedi, and not a politician of any kind.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  7. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Kueller. Damn, I forgot about that guy.
    Never could take him seriously. The name is silly, like a german word for a refrigerator and he looks like a silly Marvel episodic villain rip off.

[​IMG]

8. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Another reason why the post-ROTJ EU is in dire need of a retcon.

Slash78 likes this.
  9. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    It's not going to retconned, it's going to get demolished by these new films.

Slash78 and InterestingLurker like this.
  10. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Yeah, I like that.

Slash78 likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    They've pretty much already come right out and said it.

12. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    Maybe if the Jedi were aware of and active in politics, they wouldn't have been tricked and slaughtered. Maybe if the politicians were attuned to the force (light side) they would have a shred of nobility.

13. janstett

janstett Jedi Master star 3

May 29, 2004
    "Always two, there are -- a master, and an apprentice." -- Yoda

"The Sith and the Jedi are alike in almost every way." -- Palpatine

14. darthfettus2015

darthfettus2015 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 15, 2012
    i think she should be the chancellor of the new galatic alliance or even be known as The Queen Leia to mirror Naboo etc... id like her to discover force powers tho

15. Redfivee

Redfivee Jedi Master star 2

Sep 28, 2008
    I think Leia should follow in both her Mother and adopted Fathers footsteps and be apart of the republic.NOT a jedi,but she could have jedi powers and can use the force.

16. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    She's 57 yrs old (according to IMDb)! Why should she wear a bikini?

17. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    I love this one in bold. Actually ANY (or all) of the last 5 have my vote.

janstett likes this.
  18. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    With her diplomatic background I feel she will spend most of her time with governmental duties, and therefore don't foresee her being a fully trained Jedi. But I do think she will have control over the Force and be able to protect herself and others when the time arises.

19. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    Forget the old EU. It doesn't exist anymore. Disney is (thankfully) starting afresh. The best Eu fans can hope for is an easter egg or two.

Anyhow, if Leia is alive you can be sure she will be trained in the ways of the Force. It doesn't make any sense not to be, for who the heck would give up so much power? I mean, if you found out you had the ability to move things by thinking about it, would you ignore it and try to forget about it?

20. Immortiss

Immortiss Force Ghost star 5

Mar 10, 2013
    Maybe Leia doesn't want to be a Jedi, for personal reasons. She has a political career. She doesn't want to jeopardize it, does she? Can you be both a politico and a guardian?

I think her daughter would be a great Jedi. Whoever that might be.

MODified: "Edit" is your friend. [face_idea]

21. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    As of the OT, Leia doesn't have a political career.

22. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    But we know that she was "a member of the Imperial Senate" in A New Hope. Not a skillset one might expect the Rebels would let go to waste, once the events of RoTJ were over.

Sean Sinclair and Force Smuggler like this.
  23. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    There's LOTS of politicians, though, and people that can become politicians (you know... voted into office). And Leia's constituency is kinda significantly reduced since ANH, to however many Alderaanians were off world at the time of its destruction--not to mention, they'd have to find a new home world before they could vote her into office, or she'd have to select another world herself to become a resident of in order to be eligible as a representative of it in the New Republic Senate (if that's how things work in the post-ROTJ government, anyway).

But the fact remains: politicians? Easy to come by. Potential Jedi? Probably NOT so easy to come by.

Sitara and LawJedi like this.
  24. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    Indeed. Plus, it's not like Leia's political past is irrelevant to Jedi business. It's a simple equation:

Diplomat + scholar + monk + superwarrior + pilot = Jedi

Sitara and Toonimator like this.
  25. TheTwinSuns

TheTwinSuns Jedi Master star 3

Apr 26, 2013
    I think if she was, it would be a "oh I didn't see that coming" moment