main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should LFL bring George back to "advise" John Williams with Episode IX score?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by G-FETT, Dec 17, 2017.

?

Should LFL bring George Lucas back to "advise" John Williams with Episode IX score?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    43.8%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    56.3%
  1. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    So we're two movies in with the Sequel Trilogy and I think it's widely accepted that JW's Score's on both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi was below par compared to his work on the OT and PT?

Clearly there is some problem where these new Star Wars directors are unable to get the best out of JW so... As Episode IX will in all probability be JW's final Star Wars movie... And wouldn't it be fantastic if he went out on a "high note"... Should LFL bring back George Lucas to work with JW on the Score?

We know the partnership works. its been tried and tested over multiple films spanning decades. So how about it?

2. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Oh sorry, wrong forum. Can someone move this over to Episode IX forum for me?

(I'm finding the Boards pretty much unusable at the moment... No idea how I finished up in this forum and not Episode IX forum LOL? [face_cowboy] )

3. HaloWithStyle

HaloWithStyle Jedi Master star 2

May 11, 2015
    I really like the Kylo theme and Luke theme

4. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    If you mean the astounding par of I-VI then yes.

So instead of super ultra unbelievably fantastically awesome they are merely super unbelievably fantastically awesome.

TLJ I would say is also a cut below TFA but only because TFA came first and therefore JW had to create the various themes contained within.

The "problem" for TLJ is the lack of new themes for the main characters and story. Yes there is the nice Rose theme and The Fathiers is also nice but nothing new for the Rey and Kylo Ren relationship akin to TESB's Han Solo and the Princess or Across the Stars.

As I said on another thread I think that is due to Rian Johnson playing against expectations and deliberately not having one.

They are very good directors but Lucas is one of the greatest film-makers of all-time. Therein is the difference.

Not happening. It's not about JW. He is great but they simply aren't making movies that need the same things that Lucas need.

TFA and TLJ are far more straightforward SF action movies that needs lots of action cues and lots of notes in those cues.

If the thematic set-up of the Star Wars movies didn't already exist then they wouldn't ask him to make new ones in that style and as I said I think RJ deliberately asked him not to.

5. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Yes.

Wait, what?

I'd trust George Lucas' music composition instincts less than I'd trust his film instincts.

No. The answer is 'No.'

MaciekRS and Darth Smurf like this.
  6. Duguay

Duguay Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    I didn't realize there was a consensus that both of the newer soundtracks. I've seen a consensus for TFA (which I disagree with), but I personally have seen more positive talk about TLJ's music.

It's subjective and opinion based, but surely that's something we should all "know".

IMO it's better than AotC, which is a win for every other soundtrack, so it and TFA are already ahead for a start.

The music is in the background when it needs to be, and enhances the emotional content of the scene. Occasionally it wowed me at spots that felt right. I identified at least one new theme; it's not distinctive yet, but I've not seen the movie untold thousands of times yet (or listened to the soundtrack in isolation).

It uses and brings back themes that are familiar, and were not used very often. JW even remembered to use some themes that I would have prompted him to (Luke and Leia theme from RotJ reappears, which I was severely disappointed that he didn't use for RotS).

And that's a key thing for me, is that he's brought back thematic cues to the foreground, and remembered to use themes that he's underused in the past IMO. Maybe it's superficial, but I prefer JW soundtracks that use and develop themes, rather than eschew them for situational music. JW situational music often seems to go into holding patterns. With thematic material, he's always done really well with developing them. It's a more rewarding listening experience, spotting how the Emperor's theme was adapted for TFM's victory parade, or how Rey's theme seems related to The Force Theme (or Obi-Wan's theme, as it was originally named). It was nice to hear how the new music develops The Resistance theme to make things interesting.

Oh, so to answer the topic question, I would say no. The question has unpleasant implications about JW competency in writing SW music, and the music was just fine for the movie; better than the prequels, and not intrusive the way the music for Rogue One is. JW has been a professional musician for decades. We're lucky to have two new SW soundtracks, and they're better than people think from only a few days assessment and early bird overreactions. Sorry if that sounds snarky, but the premise of the topic question felt disrespectful to JW years of successful professionalism.

7. Jamtia

Jamtia Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2016
    I'm happy that he's still able to do this at 85. I couldn't ask for anything more of him.

8. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    YOU SAY VARIATIONS ON A THEME. I SAY REHASH.

Actually I just wanted to give you a thumbs-up. OP's insinuation is...ridic.

Duguay likes this.
  9. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    Bringing George back in any capacity would be a win for these movies.

xezene and CaptainSuchandSuch like this.