Should Lucas allow someone else to make an EU movie?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediQuiTal, Oct 11, 2001.

?

Should Lucas allow someone else to make an EU movie?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
Yes 34 vote(s) 38.2%
No 39 vote(s) 43.8%
Depends on the Crew 16 vote(s) 18.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Lucas said recently that after Episode III that he wanted to do something for television. Hmmmmm... I'll bet it's "Tucker: A Man and His Dream" new on NBC this fall, nahhh, "Howard the Duck" as a weekly series? Competition for News Radio, "Radio Land Murders"? No?

As for 22 episodes at 2-3 hours apiece, will not happen. Star Trek episodes routinely cost over a million dollars per episode, I somehow don't see Fox putting $6 million plus a week into a series.

However, I could easily see a weekly, hour-long Star Wars series with Lucas as Executive Producer, and if he's smart he will stay the hell away from writing any of it. Unfortunately, if this were to come to pass, it would likely completely by-pass the Expanded Universe. Alternatively, if it took place in the past, then completely ignore the Tales of the Jedi series of comics. Maybe get J. Michael Strazynski and Harlan Ellison to have a go at it.

BTW- Quest, great list!
  2. SCI_FI_NUT Jedi Knight

star 1
    As i've said before i'd prefer to see EU as a high budget Anime, that's STILL cheaper than a live action series and can have a lot more potential. Let's face it harrison ford, carrie fisher, and mark hammel are NOT getting any younger which makes doing sereis that take place a mere 5 yers afer ROTJ impossible if they have the main charecters. A cartoon would solve that problem sice as teh simpsons has demonstated no one ages in a cartoon.
    Also a cartoon has the abiltiy to distance it self fro the movie which should aleve some of those concerns that it's a tangent from teh series.
    As for quality, anime's have been practicing doing sword fights and space battles for years if ANYONE can do it justice it's them. I mean if EU was done in the quality of something like Cowboy bebop i'd be a very happy SW fan.
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I wasn't implying episodes of 2-3 hours in length, I was meaning to say you could adapt a book into 2-3 episodes, each 1 hour in length.

Sorry if I didn't make that clear::)

And in regards to cost- they'd probably cast unknowns for the parts of Luke, Han, Leia and all the new characters (it's star wars, it doesn't need star power). SO that would keep the cost down.

And you're right, when done right, such as Cowboy Bebop (although I really don't think the music meshes well with the visuals) or Outlaw Star (not counting that tiger-chick) you can get good results. But animated "adult" series don't typically last as long to my knowledge. Plus your trying to appeal to the audiences who enjoyed the films, and live action would, like i said earlier, "feel" more like the movies than an animated series would, and hence would attract more of that audience who watched the films, hence make the show more profitable and allow for a larger budget/longer life/run.
  4. JWK Jedi Master

star 4
    If they did a TV series it have to be ONLY of the NJO!

Its the only story line that's well connceted enough and is broud enough to do that.

It they did the Bantam story line, espially if they did the x-wings, it would be extrelly long and most shows get tiring after a fourth or more season.

The NJO could consevably be done in one year covering the whole thing. That would be nice and then its over!

NO More!

It would be become almost NO different from star trek then and I don't want that.
  5. solo_yt1300 Jedi Knight

star 1
    I would love a Tv show. But why does it all have to be in the same thing called "Star Wars - The Exspanded Universe(The Show :D )"

you could put some things like YJK and JJK into a anime/cartoon format cuz thats more like its target audence. (I'd still watch it..)
    and/or

the probaly there could be a couple 2 hour specials (hopfully not like the old hoilday special. *gag*) of X-wing, TOTJ, YJK(animated or live)

but the only problem is that if you do live... its gonna be nobodies for characters so no big characters in the live stuff. Or it will become a big complant from hardcore fans.
  6. GaMeCuBe182 Jedi Knight

That'd be cool to see a SW cartoon series based on the EU. They should use some of the comic book artists who drew some of the SW comics.
  7. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "and I'm certain some people on these boards wouldn't have any objections of seeing Xizor[face_batting]"

I don't really see who you're referring to...

"the Holiday Special, which I have never seen but read the script of"

How was it ?

Chewie - "Mwaroomph ?"
    Lowie - "Maaaaamph !"
    Chewie - "Oooormph !"

And so on, my knowledge of Shiriiwook isn't that good...

8. addyjedi Jedi Padawan

I think it would be really cool to have a TV show to see what we've been reading. But I am sure it will let us down. There is no way it will be able to even come close to being able to do all those special effects, even if they are not that great. Maybe if they did 3 long TV specials it would work but not a tv series.

Oh. And where can I find the script to the holiday special? I'm curious as to what it is about.
  9. jedi_master_yoda7 Jedi Master

star 2
    Here's my idea for a series:
    2 hour special: Dawn of the Galatic Republic
    Season 1: Tales of the Jedi
    2 hour special: The Han Solo Adventures
    Season 2: Luke, Han, and Leia adventures between ANH and TESB
    Season 3: Shadows of the Empire era
    Season 4: Ssi-ruuk invasion, Nagai invasion, Tof invasion, finale would have Luke and Lumiya's final duel
    Season 5: Various struggles against warlords
    Season 6: Thrawn and Dark Empire
    Season 7: Rest of Bantam
    Season 8: JJK and YJK, with Vector prime as finale
    Season 9: The New Jedi Order

10. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    The reason I placed TOTJ at the end of the series instead of at the front is it's better for the series to start off on familar ground (such as the the basic time frame of the films and immediately after ROTJ). Then, later in it's run, when series usually start to stagnate, by doing the TOTJ era you're spicing things up with the "new" age of the ancient jedi and sith, giving them something new, yet somewhat familar (since it ties into backstory established in JAT, etc).

Of course, in a perfect world, if the creatores KNEW they'd get a chance to produce everything they wanted to, it'd make sense to create things chronologically, akthough still, presenting it as such may alienate viewers who are tuning in to see the Star Wars era of the films.
  11. LanceJade Jedi Master

star 4
    Yes... I think that it could be well done... but it would have to be done carefully.
  12. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    And in regards to cost- they'd probably cast unknowns for the parts of Luke, Han, Leia and all the new characters (it's star wars, it doesn't need star power). SO that would keep the cost down.
    --------------------------

It wouldn't be star power that made the show expensive, it would be the effects budget that would drive it over the top.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    true, but I imagine there would be ways of balancing the FX budget. Some stories wouldn't need as much CGI (say, the Boba Fett vs. Jodo Kast battle of "Twins Engines...") and a good chunk of the space battles would be utilziing the same models (x-wings, TIE's, etc). The planetscapes and various CGI environments would probably be the most costly. But then shows like B5 and the newer treks have gotten alot of FX work fit into their shows on a limited basis...and I imagine a succssful Star Wars show would be given a more generous budget (especially if Lucas wanted to use it as an FX testground like he did with the Young Indy Chronicles), Lucas might even give the show an FX discount at ILM.
  14. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5

Mmm, yes, but because you have something rendered, you still have to animate and composite the image. And the more complex and/or detailed the model, the longer it takes to render. Plus, you don't want all your X-Wings or TIE Fighters or Uglies to explode in the same way, (the dreaded Battlestar Galactica effect), so you have to do new damage models, probably more than you would for a feature film. As for a 'more generous effects budget', don't forget that Star Trek & Babylon 5 used Optic Nerve, and they are by no means slouches in CGI effects. Admittedly, ILM is better, but they wouldn't be working with $100 million feature film budget. Though we do know that ILM can do small screen effects, like Young Indiana Jones-that looked great. Another way to look at it is this: In DS9, a photon torpedo shot was cheaper than an Odo morph sequence, so guess what they did more of. For the most part you are right, CGI would cut costs, but IMHO, they do not yet look as good as practical models, but that's another kettle of fish.
  15. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Hum... You know the whole podrace in TPM is CGI, right ?
  16. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hum... You know the whole podrace in TPM is CGI, right ?
    ------------------------

I don't think so. [face_mischief]
  17. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, you should.

All shots (except for some pilots close-ups) 'in the wild of Tatooine' were complete CG.
  18. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, you should.

All shots (except for some pilots close-ups) 'in the wild of Tatooine' were complete CG.
    ------------------

The canyons and rock formations were foam, as for anything else, I am not sure, so I can neither confirm nor deny. All my books are 1200 km away in Ottawa, so I can't check to see if you are right or if I am wrong. I just just didn't think that they were. ?[face_plain]
  19. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    "The canyons and rock formations were foam"

That's were you're wrong. They're all CG (I'm not talking about the arena at the starting grid). In fact, it's confirmed in the TPM DVD.
  20. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Actually, some rock formations were made as a real model first, THEN they used a new technique to digitally scan the models/textures into the computer. So the entire podrace environment WAS digital, just some elements were digital recreations of actual models.
  21. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Hmm, now that I read that there's a Dark Forces 3: Jedi Outcast (or Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast, whatever) coming out, I'm wondering where it would be best to place it in my outline..it's supposed to take place around crystal star (which is not present, rightfully so, on my outline) and Starfighters of Adumar.

Not having read SOA yet myself, do you think SOA could be covered over a space of 2 episodes? Then Darksaber could be 2 episodes instead of 3, and Outcast would be the 2 episodes between Darksaber and SOA. I think it'd be better than sticking it at the beginning of "season 4".
  22. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    For your program, well, I think SoA could fit in 1 episode only...

And for the race, I didn't say they didn't use sculptures at all. All I said is that what you see on the screen is entirely digital. Same for the battledroids, for example... (most of the time)

Of course, most textures are 'real' in a certain way, but the actual environement is CG.
  23. Kier_Nimmion Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Okay, then I stand by my statement. Models still look better. I guess if you throw enough motion blur into a scene it's bound to look okay. :)
  24. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Well, what about the Podracers (not the pilots) ? During the race, they're all CG, and aren't blurred...
  25. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    ::Tries to figure out how he can bump this topic in a constructive manner::

Um..anyone interested in a Season 8, 9 and 10? ::D

hehe...hum...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.