Should Lucas allow someone else to make an EU movie?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by JediQuiTal, Oct 11, 2001.

?

Should Lucas allow someone else to make an EU movie?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
Yes 34 vote(s) 38.2%
No 39 vote(s) 43.8%
Depends on the Crew 16 vote(s) 18.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    A want a series exclusively about Xizor. 7 seasons. Of course it'd greatly expand on his 'relations'... ;)
  2. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    I can see it now...

The Red Xizor Diaries...

(cause red goes so well with green...)

;;D
  3. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    Holy crap, ok, Star By Star is a massive book...thats gotta be the longest SW novel yet...so I'm gonna adjust part of my layout accordingly...Star By Star would need at least a 4th, maybe even a 5th episode...so, I'll trim Balance Point back from 3 episode to 1 episode (although if SBS could be tranlated into 4 episodes, then Balance Point would get back a second episode) since that story could be slimmed down easily I think.

Season 5- "The New Jedi Order"

Episode 1- Vector Prime, part 1
    Episode 2- Vector Prime, part 2
    Episode 3- Vector Prime, part 3
    Episode 4- Dark Tide: Onslaught, part 1
    Episode 5- Dark Tide: Onslaught, part 2
    Episode 6- Dark Tide: Ruin, part 1
    Episode 7- Dark Tide: Ruin, part 2
    Episode 8- Dark Tide: Ruin, part 3
    Episode 9- Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial, part 1
    Episode 10- Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial, part 2
    Episode 11- Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial, part 1
    Episode 12- Agents of Chaos: Hero's Trial, part 2
    Episode 13- Balance Point
    Episode 14- Edge of Victory: Conquest, part 1
    Episode 15- Edge of Victory: Conquest, part 2
    Episode 16- Edge of Victory: Rebirth, part 1
    Episode 17- Edge of Victory: Rebirth, part 2
    Episode 18- Star By Star, part 1
    Episode 19- Star By Star, part 2
    Episode 20- Star By Star, part 3
    Episode 21- Star By Star, part 4
    Episode 22- Star By Star, part 5
  4. Anakin_Solo73 Jedi Knight

star 2
    Considering the advances in Technology, I could see a NJO series of somekind being developed in CGI. Of course voices of our old favorites could be different (i.e. Leia, Han, etc.), but it could work.
  5. Genghis12 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    jedi_master_yoda7...
    "Here's my idea for a series:
    2 hour special: Dawn of the Galatic Republic
    Season 1: Tales of the Jedi
    2 hour special: The Han Solo Adventures
    Season 2: Luke, Han, and Leia adventures between ANH and TESB
    Season 3: Shadows of the Empire era
    Season 4: Ssi-ruuk invasion, Nagai invasion, Tof invasion, finale would have Luke and Lumiya's final duel
    Season 5: Various struggles against warlords
    Season 6: Thrawn and Dark Empire
    Season 7: Rest of Bantam
    Season 8: JJK and YJK, with Vector prime as finale
    Season 9: The New Jedi Order
    "

This is IMO the best season summary of a possible Star Wars TV show. Many of the others fall prey to focusing too much on individual books and leaving out many important ones. There's no reason to give TTT nine episodes and leave out a whole bunch of other Bantam novels that are as important or more important. Although seasons 2 and 3 here will be too busy - these need to be expanded, perhaps adding another season in here to handle it all and season 6 doesn't have enough. Add in Jedi Knight, Crimson Empire, etc.
  6. Disco_Dark_Jeedai Jedi Master

star 4
    Definately have to be a TV series!!!!
  7. ComicDude Jedi Knight

star 3
  8. PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff

VIP
    star 5
    Plus, Genghis, if the one you like were to work, you should at least add 2-3(-4) seasons to NJO... Why should 25 NJO books be in one season whereas the same number of Bantam books hold in 3 seasons ?)
  9. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>Plus, Genghis, if the one you like were to work, you should at least add 2-3(-4) seasons to NJO... Why should 25 NJO books be in one season whereas the same number of Bantam books hold in 3 seasons?) <<

He's got a good point- heck, I'm BARELY squeezing NJO into 2 seasons in my layout.

EDIT: I'd also would have liked to fit in more of Young Jedi Knights and/or Junior Jedi Knights, i didn't plan it out yet cause I've only read up to Shards of Alderaan in that series. The problem being people might be dissapointed in shifting focus from the adults to the kids for an entire season (which would feel odd also since people would be anticipating NJO soon and might get restless with YJK/JJK)
  10. AthyraFire Jedi Knight

star 2
    uh... i personally wouldn't want to see anymore movies or t.v. shows after ROTJ. as much as i'd love to see the EU brought into a visual format like that, i think we'd be sorely disappointed in the outcome. i mean, many of the original heroes have no hope of returning to a believable role, and i don't know about you, but i hate when they replace established actors. i'm gonna have a hard enough time switching from Jake to Hayden. i mean, even the change in Palpatine's voice from ESB to ROTJ bugs me to no end! so um, yeah. that's my opinion.
  11. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    >>i mean, many of the original heroes have no hope of returning to a believable role, and i don't know about you, but i hate when they replace established actors. i'm gonna have a hard enough time switching from Jake to Hayden. i mean, even the change in Palpatine's voice from ESB to ROTJ bugs me to no end!<<

TV spin-offs of films usually don't have the film actors...sometimes you can adjust easily, other times the casting just doesn't work. For example, Stargate SG-1 doesn't have any of the actors from the movie reprising their characters in it, but I think the actors they chose to replace Kurt Russel and James Spader for the series (Richard Dean Anderson, in the acse of Russel's character) were much better at portraying the character than the ones in the film.
    Now I don't think that would happen with a SW series- it's hard to replace Ford with anybody (it'd be pretty funny if it was Tom Selick..;;D ), but I think after a few episodes we'd be able to adapt, and they could always add an opening credits sequence showing who is playing what main character to avoid confusion in casual-viewers .

It's iffy, but if the EU were to become a visual medium, there would have to be recasting decisions made (even if it were animated, the voices would still be different, even if they sounded similar), it's just a nessasary evil. Besisdes, it would give the canonists something to say "this is why it's seperate from the films and not an extension of them" so they can stop whining when the shows on and just enjoy the entertainment value meanwhile EU-enthusiants can revel at the shows (hopeful) glory ::)

And BTW, while Fox would be a possibility, I think Sci-fi channel would be a better station to air the show on (that way the show will never get an episode pushed off for an unexpected playoff game or something)
  12. Bravo Chosen One

star 6
    Yes I think Lucas should, but it depends on the crew.
  13. dengofett Jedi Youngling

star 1
    as for doing a tv series i just cant belive GL stoping star wars at only 6 movies not with its HUGE fan base he could do a tv show called star wars :the EU i mean star wars is bigger than star trek just look who makes more at the box office.he wouldnt have to cover all the novels just the bigger ones. and wouldnt want it on nbc cbs or abc because theyed cancel it (they have no imagination)so it would have to be on fox or independently . they could just do some 8 or 9 part mini series out of the trilogy novels an animated movie out of shadows or splinter and comp. anim. out of the X-wing novels?all in all if it was done right i think it could be a huge for tv
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.