main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Should Lucasfilm have shown Maul have more of an influence on Anakin/Vader?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Sitara, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Maul represented the reincarnation of the Sith, Dooku represented the current incarnation of the Sith, and Anakin the future. I think it was well done in that way. Though I value your opinion and see what your saying that would have def been interesting.

2. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I would keep Maul and Qui-Gon the way they were rather than drop them to give Obi more screen time. I can't see Maul being what Dooku was at all. People won't leave the republic for him.

3. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    People seemed to have no trouble following Palpatine, despite him having a monsters face.

And anyway, why do ppl keep saying Maul needed to do what Dooku did? Do you honestly think Sidious planned for Mal to die? He is rather obviously grieving at the end of TPM, and it's not for Qui Gon I assure you.

Dooku could have been a political idealist while Maul remained in the shadows, had he not been chopped.

4. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    Palpatine had a golden tongue. Maul did not.

5. Vialco

Vialco Force Ghost star 5

Mar 6, 2007
    To quote Darth Plagueis

"Maul had to kill Qui-Gon to keep the boy from being trained. Qui-Gon was the key to everything."

By killing Qui-Gon Maul ensures that Anakin's training will be flawed and that Chosen One will fall to the Dark Side.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Why does Anakin have to be some ideal Jedi who kept to the Order's rules in order to prevent himself from being turned? Sticking to the rules and trying to be some ideal Jedi master or knight didn't help Yoda, Mace or Obi-Wan. It took a "rogue" Jedi like Qui-Gon to teach Yoda and Obi-Wan to be more in tune with the Force.

As for Maul, I saw no need for his presence following his "death" in TPM. To this day, I still believe it was a mistake to revive his character in "THE CLONE WARS". I believe Maul had served his purpose in the saga when he killed Qui-Gon - an act that led Obi-Wan and Anakin to become master and apprentice.

7. Klingon Padawan

Klingon Padawan Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 5, 2013
    In order for this idea to work, Maul should've been shown more throughout the prequels, instead of just in TPM. I would have Maul appear in all 3 films, alongside Dooku, which means the Rule of Two has to be eliminated.

Sitara likes this.
  8. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    That would be badass. Imagine Sidious forcing Maul and Tyranus to work together! Dooku would be disgusted by having to work side by side with a beast like Maul.

9. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

Why? Maul still lacks the personality to lead the Separatists on Palpatine's behalf. With Dooku around, Palpatine does not need Maul. And I thought Dooku was an excellent foreshadow of Anakin's own future as a Sith apprentice.

I still get the feeling that many wanted Maul around because he seemed "cool" . . . and nothing else.

10. The Supreme Chancellor

Sep 4, 2012
    DRush76, I think if Maul was still around during the Clone Wars Palpatine could have used him as an enforcer, picking off Jedi Masters one by one. (btw I hate how he was brought back in TCW) Dooku was too valuable to the Sep cause to be chasing Jedi around. Palps could have used Maul to singlehandedly kill Obi-Wan and thus make it easier to turn Anakin.

11. DRush76

Jan 25, 2008

This sounds like you want to re-write the story YOUR WAY and nothing else.

Palpatine could have used Maul as an enforcer. Or . . . he could use another enforcer. There is no real need for Maul following his appearance in TPM. And I still stand by my belief that the only reason many are arguing for his continuing presence in the movies because he seemed like such a great "cool" character.

12. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    What makes you think Maul lacks personality? Vader lacked personality as well in Star Wars. Then, 5 films later he got more personality/ Way too much in fact, I think.

Also, there was no need for the Rule of 2. It was a horrible idea. Far far better for there have been as many Sith as Jedi. Sidious, a lower tier Sith grievously underestimated by the senior and superior Dark Lords, would have been the one to betray both orders, and have both slaughtered, one side by the droid army, the other by the clones so no one is left to order him around or be a challenge to him. Just a has been like Vader remains to do his dirty work.

Or, if you still want go the rule of 2, have Dooku and Maul but just make Dooku a politician, not a Sith Apprentice. Or, make him a fallen Jedi, a political idealist like Ki Adi Mundi says of him, who is grievously mislead and deceived by Sidious. (he doesn't know he is allied with Sith)

13. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    I agree that Dooku foreshadows the OT incarnation of Vader, but personally I see a much better match to (pre-suit) Vader in Maul.

There are a few examples I have pointed out on the Visual links thread I made, basically young Vader as we see him in ROTS shares the "silent assassin" characteristics with Maul. As well as the speed and youth, plus (pretty much) total subserviance to Palpatine. It seems to me that Palpatine was less attached to Dooku than Maul and unsuited Vader.

I'm not going to post the pics, but think of how Maul-ish Anakin looks walking into the Council Chambers where the younglings are hiding during Order 66. Both Maul and Vader get sliding door reveals (The start of the TPM duel for Maul, Order 66 as I pointed out above, and Vader in ESB in the dining room.) It seems intentional. Also, Sidious sends Maul to work with Gunray in TPM (A Sith here?), there is an irony there when Vader is sent to "take care" of the Seperatists in ROTS. He is, of course, expected and greeted because of Gunray's experience with the Sith, when he is really there to kill them.
    There's more of them, Anakin leaving Shmi in TPM cuts directly to Maul in the next scene, some interesting foreshadowing. Also, Maul almost kills Anakin as he passes over him on the bike. Interesting that Qui-Gon has to yell "drop" because Anakin is still helpless at this stage, yet none of the characters suspect that Anakin will one day replace Maul. Anakin also uses a speeder bike in AOTC, on a journey to lose his mother, and a part of his innocence.
    Lastly, I see some (perhaps coincidental) symbolism in Qui-Gon's death. Where in TPM Maul kills Qui-Gon, ROTS has Vader (the Maul in Anakin) kill Anakin (the Qui-Gon in Anakin). And Obi-Wan is always caught in the middle of all this...
    I really enjoy stuff like this, it makes the prequels far more interesting to me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.