main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Luke and Leia have a small romance pre-ESB?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Jun 23, 2017.

?

Should they develop a short relationship?

1. yes

7 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. noooooooooooo

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  3. wtf mate

24 vote(s)
    42.1%
  4. Jerec with Leia is a better option

11 vote(s)
    19.3%
  5. I don't like sand

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  6. Prefer they kiss a wookie instead

2 vote(s)
    3.5%
  1. unicorn

unicorn Chosen One star 4

Jan 19, 2001
    Kathy Tyers who wrote TAB and Balance Point was actually a huge Luke/Leia fan and was not happy Lucas made them siblings. I always felt her depiction of the Han/Leia relationship was off with their feelings being rather lukewarm towards each other (both in TAB and BP). I wonder if her being a Luke/Leia shipper influenced that.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I had so many problems with that book; maybe her being a Luke/Leia shipper explains Jacen being so annoying and Anakin hitting on his aunt.

3. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

Ew, yeah I had forgotten about that.

I also remember an interview where someone asked her about why in her book Balance Point Han didn't really seem to care about reuniting with Leia (while they were separated) and she said something like "Han's Han, some men are like that" which I thought was a very odd characterization of him. Han's defining characteristics have always been his fierce love and loyalty towards those he cares about.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. DARTH_MU

DARTH_MU Jedi Master star 4

Feb 9, 2005
  5. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Splinter in the minds eye has been mentioned here. Though I didn't make reference to it earlier because I never read it. What happened in the book which led to it falling under the luke/Leia ship?

6. unicorn

Jan 19, 2001

It's been like 20 years since I read it but I think there's a scene where they have to sleep next to one another and Luke is thinking about how attracted he is to her.

Also the original ANH novel by Alan Dean Foster is pretty Luke/Leia shippy, with the description of Leia's kiss to Luke lighting every nerve on fire or something really gross in hindsight.

Sarge likes this.
  7. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
    well at least Disney didn't reboot every single movie after new Hope. So for the time being it's still Luke and Leia Skywalker.

8. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    Except Leia says in ROTJ after Luke revealing himself as her brother: 'Somehow I've always known.'

So her and him going into a 'relationship' would mean that she would have to keep suppressing that Force -intuition, which would make her intentionally entering an incestous relationship, and that would be massively icky-poo.

I don't think anybody wants to hear the sounds of banjos playing in their Star Wars.

9. MartyAvidianus

MartyAvidianus Jedi Padawan star 3

May 14, 2017
  10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Does that mean in the marvel comics she knows then? Personally I'm not much of a fan of her knowing in a period that Luke couldn't detect her nature with the force. It makes me wonder if that statement above is mixed with some hyperbole.

11. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998

Yes, in Splinter Luke is very much in love with Leia. It's all unspoken and one-way. In Luke's mind, he's still just a farmboy and she's a princess, so he never says anything about his feelings and she never indicates that she knows how he feels.

12. Jester J Binks

Jester J Binks Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2016
    It is funny that with all the Special Edition edits, such as protecting Han Solo's image with return fire, those Luke/Leia scenes weren't edited. Is Lucas implying his original vision was sibling physical love? Hmmm ...

ANH and TESB edits. Maybe even RotJ

Luke:
    I have it.
    And...
    my sister has it.
    Yes. It's you, Leia.

Leia:
    I know.
    Somehow...
    I've always known.

Luke:
    Then you know
    why I have to face him.
    Wait what?
    Why didn't you say something?

Leia:
    Me? That was a figure of speech.
    I just meant I was never attracted to you.
    Now it all makes sense. Subconsciously, I guess I knew.
    But how long have you known, perv?

Luke:
    On Dagobah ....

Leia:
    So for about a year?

Luke:
    No. A few days ago.

Leia:
    And you still decided to wait a few days to tell me?
    Were you hoping I'd give you another mercy kiss to make Han jealous?

Luke
    No. No. I ...

Leia:
    Luke, run away.
    Far away.

Daneira and MartyAvidianus like this.
  13. Landb

Landb Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 7, 2017
    Guys like I said the whole sibling thing is irrelevant, "I care" was the end. It's why Ghost Ben and Yoda never told Luke about the celibacy rule, they heard about "I care" and figured he had it handled already.

More important question:
    Should Jahan Cross return to canon and sleep with have a small romance with every attractive female character in the galaxy, especially the ones with pun names?

>Yes.
    >Yes but he has to share or leave half for Lando.
    >Yes and the men too.
    >No Mr. Cross, I expect you to die.

14. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015
    Whats going on with this forum today? Multiple Luke/Leia threads. An infinities universe were they never siblings I can sort of see, even if it is still pretty weird. But NEU pre OR post ROTJ is such a heavy NO its crazy.

It is a proven phenomenon that separated siblings who meet in later life, often sense a familial attraction, but confuse it for romantic attraction. But lets be frank, this is weird and has no place in Star Wars.

Sarge likes this.
  15. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Proven where? Do you have a source for this? Not that long lost siblings sometimes meet and start dating, I know that's happened before. But I have a hard time believing there's some psychic "know when people are related to me" sense. What, when the long lost siblings are the same gender, and both are heterosexual, would they also have a strange attraction that could be confused as as being romantic? It sounds fishy to me.

16. Jam Lacobus

Jam Lacobus Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 4, 2015

You're right to be suspicious on the internet of course. But there's a wiki page for it and everything!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genetic_sexual_attraction

17. JediBatman

JediBatman Jedi Master star 4

May 3, 2015
    Very well, still seems dubious to me, but at least you cited your source.

18. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    @Jam Lacobus
    @JediBatman

I was going to post that. I think it would be an interesting path to wander down....not necessarily a sexual relationship....but acknowledge there is a mutual attraction there.