main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Luke be married?

Discussion in 'EU Community' started by GenOochy, Oct 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GenOochy

GenOochy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 8, 2003
    I don't really care for Luke being married and all. Nor did I care for him and Callista.

In the movies he was, atleast in ROTJ, a very serious Jedi Master. With Callista and Mara, he became a bit to soft, not like the Jedi who walked into Jabba's palace, strangling guards, ect. His love life makes him seem to. Weird. Maybe I'm weird but thats how I veiw it...

2. CptCorranHorn

CptCorranHorn Jedi Master star 5

Oct 16, 2002
    its not his lovelife thats effecting him, its his responsibilities, he doesnt want to send the wrong impression to potential new jedi

3. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Hmmm... Maybe...

He just seems weird.... I liked him in ROTJ and in Zhan's trilogy. After that, he gets weird.

4. Errant_Vampire

Errant_Vampire Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2003
    Yeah, he should be married. He deserves some happiness.

5. alpha_red

alpha_red Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 24, 2003
    "The best things in life shouldn't be missed out on just because they come with a few complications." --Jolee Bindo, KOTOR

Honestly. The old Jedi celibacy code was a giant load of rancor dung. Getting laid isn't going to turn you to the dark side. It may cause you to move out of state and get you followed by Republic cops for being a deadbeat dad and not paying your child support, but it won't turn you to the dark side in and of itself. Used correctly, it's a very beautiful thing.

Luke assumes more of the role of mentor to the new Jedi after he marries Mara. That's fine, and can lead to some good characterization, but they tend to take it too far, and put Luke in a council chamber during the Yuuzhan Vong war when he should be kickin' ass and takin' names.

6. lightsaber_wielder

lightsaber_wielder Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2002
    Being married has obviously changed Luke as a person, you've got a point there. That would be bound to happen to anybody who got married, though. It's given him some happiness in his life, something to come home to at the end of the day when all the battles have been fought. The foundations of Luke's life are now a loving wife and young son, whereas before he worked for peace and the well-being of the New Republic. He now has something else to fight for.

7. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    His "softening" also has something to do with the fact that he was getting older and more mature as well.

8. JennyTheShrubber

JennyTheShrubber Jedi Master star 1

Aug 7, 2003
    I don't know. I always thought of Luke as the marrying kind. I remember the first time I saw TESB, during the scene in which Yoda is rummaging through Luke's stuff, I got this image in my head of him as a father trying to supervise a toddler. I think he's just very family-oriented in his nature, and I mean that in a good way. :) He never knew his biological parents, never had any siblings, and most likely carries some guilt for inadvertently causing the deaths of his aunt and uncle. (It's never explicitly stated that he does, but I imagine he would.) Therefore, I think he's always been, on some level, trying to create the life he never had as a kid.

As for the women in his life making him soft, I'm not sure that he's any more "soft" now than he ever was, whatever that means. I skip around in the books, and I haven't read them all, but Luke has always come across to me as sensitive. I never thought of him as the "shoot first, ask questions later" type. I guess he's capable of being that way, but he would probably regret it later. Anyway, what's wrong with being soft (aka feminine)? I find it cute in a guy :D

Getting laid isn't going to turn you to the dark side. It may cause you to move out of state and get you followed by Republic cops for being a deadbeat dad and not paying your child support, but it won't turn you to the dark side in and of itself.

LOL!! Yoda was a deadbeat dad! Samuel L. Jackson said so! :p

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    Being married made Luke grow up, even more so when Ben was born.

10. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Yep, Yoda was a deadbeat dad! SLJ said so to Jon Stewart!!

11. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

Okay, now, before I had ever read EU (or even knew the names of the novels) I had created a character for Luke to marry (I'm rather romantic at times). I gave her long red hair, green eyes, and decided that she should carry a lightsaber and be on the dark side (so Luke could turn her to the light, and all. Ah, romance!). I grew very fond of my character and thought of her as synonymous with SW.

Then I read EU, and found out about Mara Jade. I was shocked and delighted--my character and she were--THE SAME!

So yes, I personally am very pleased that Luke is married.

I believe that the impression that Luke has become "soft" since he has married varies with each novel. Why? Because the novels are written by several different people, all of whom have different ideas of how Luke should act. Hence the "softness". I don't think it has much to do with the character's marriage itself.

12. JennyTheShrubber

Aug 7, 2003
    :eek: Sue Lucas Books!!!

. . . and then, um . . . could I have some of your winnings to pay off my student loans? Pretty please?

:p

Hiya, alpha_red!! :D

13. Master_Ponta

Master_Ponta Jedi Master star 4

Feb 11, 2003
    yes I think marrying Luke off was a great idea.

14. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    Jenny! You're back!

Where the heck have you been?

15. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Anyway, what's wrong with being soft (aka feminine)? I find it cute in a guy

I find it rather pathitic. Nothing worse than a "marshmellow" as my dad calls them.

16. JennyTheShrubber

Aug 7, 2003
    I find it rather pathitic. Nothing worse than a "marshmellow" as my dad calls them.

You know, gender stereotypes hurt everyone. Is it fair to demand that a man be a certain way just because he's male or that a woman be a certain way just because she's female? No; in fact, it's downright cruel. Furthermore, I don't know if you realize this, but what you're essentially saying is that being associated with women is "pathetic." That's extremely misogynist.

Jenny! You're back!

Where the heck have you been?

I've been to London to visit the queen! :p

Seriously, I've been around, but I'm usually hanging out at the Tenel Ka fanclub. I've been posting less often as of late because I'm being a diligent student ;) I snoop around every other day or so, so drop me a line if you feel so inclined :D

17. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    I think, if her characterization had been kept accurate, Mara would have been very good for Luke. When they first got together, I was very excited about the fact that Luke would now have no choice but to quit being so depressing all the time. Unfortunately, Mara was made this incredibly clingy... thing, so the benefit was more or less lost.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

18. marajoan

marajoan Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 3, 2002
    Luke was always the committment sort of guy even in A New Hope. The problem was that the girl he was hooked on turned out to be his sister. He always seemed to be so lonely and sad in the EU after that. Even with Callista, he seemed to still be an outsider. I think that his marriage was the natural progression of things and rounded out his personality a little. Luke would have been pathetic if he had not had a family of his own. He had distanced himself from all his old friends like the Rogues and was always on the outside even with Leia and her family. He needed this and I don't think it softened him, he just matured.

19. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I always thought Luke should get married. I always felt his relationship with Mara was rushed over a couple of books because of the fact not getting them together for about the first decade they knew eachother, and then BAM, they were married. They should have wrote a series inbeween The Last Command and the NJO. There is no books covering any kind of friendship betweem them. I think that's why their abrupt falling in love in the two book series made me shake my head. I didn't feel any romance going on at all in the Thrawn series, and the two book series only made things worse for me to understand. I had no idea Luke loved Mara until he asked her to marry him. It was as if Zahn wrote it in as an after thought. Luke had deserved much better than that.

20. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Yes, he should be married. Just not to someone as aweful as Mara Jade is.

Luke deserves happiness, not the life of hell married to the red-headed harpy that LFL has shackled to him.

21. DeJade_Vu

DeJade_Vu Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 29, 2002

Gee, Ghenghis, I didn't know THAT was coming.

22. NarundiJedi

NarundiJedi Jedi Master star 6

Oct 8, 2001
    Yay, good to know that Genghis hasn't gone soft! ;)

I'm not sure what to think about Luke being married. I'm a fan of Mara when she's accurately and believably characterized.

That's to say that I love Luke/Mara fanfic. I also liked "I'm gonna kill you Skywalker" Mara, because it seemed to fit at the time. But all this angry jedi master Mara from the NJO makes me not like her in the NJO. Thus, my complicated opinion of Luke/Mara. :)

Jae Angel

23. Dev_Binks

Dev_Binks Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 7, 2003
    Well ye see how I see it is that Luke got laid by Leia and then he had to prove to HAn that he wasn't only interested in ensest so he got married to Mara and had a kid. [face_plain]

:p

24. GenOochy

Jan 8, 2003
    Furthermore, I don't know if you realize this, but what you're essentially saying is that being associated with women is "pathetic."

No, just a guy being all sappy is. Women are suppose to be that way.

25. alpha_red

Aug 24, 2003
    That's nothing more than stereotype. I'll be sappy when I damn well please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.