main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Actually the bulk of them where from the 30s to 50s (thus including the 40s :p) , with a few things from the 20s to 70s making there way in there too like 3PO looking like a character from Metropolis (1927) or other Akira Kurosawa films such as Dersu Uzala which came out in 1975.

The two biggest though are Flash Gordon which was 30s and early 40s & Hidden Fortress which was 1958 (though I forgot it got released in the US in 1962 at the time of the post[face_dunno] my bad :oops: ).

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I like a lot of it, but the Luke/Mara scenes made Edward and Bella look good.

maychild and JediGirl_Angelina like this.
  3. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    "That bad, huh?" :)

4. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    We live in the same time zone then...

But anyways we both have replied to others here... and both been very vocal in our divergent opinions. Are you suggesting we would miraculously end up not replying to one another often? Or are you just grasping? [face_rofl]

Anyways I'm young and impulsive, so I'm going to reply to anyone who jumps on this convo as evidenced by several replies to others above. I cant help it if you write longer replies then them, thus I devote more time to reply to you (on a tablet so a virtual key board really slows my replying down).

Next off I did discuss the topic in my reply, though last post it was mostly just clarifaction purposes...which we are all entitled to.

Though word of warning to the old, use younger foke hate when old people put words in our mouths. So if you dont want and endless back and forth, dont take us out of context... we'll bug you constantly about it.

Now as stated prior I feel Luke having a family and being married is the best thing the writes can do not only to connect the trilogies via a family story but since it opens up more possibilities for the long term of the Series than Lucas's PT logic of Jedi not being allowed to marry. Next off it appeases many PT bashers and shouldn't bother too many PT gushers since thus earning Disney a wider market and hopefully earn more money than the PT movies did.

You know I'd prefer it if Mara Jade is the wife too since it keeps the EU gushers happy and leaves open Disney being able to capitalize on those products too.

5. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Actually, I'm not talking about the writing quality so much as just the whole emphasis on it. The NJO and onwards, in particular, get really bad with the "Who will end up with who?" sometimes.

6. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Having read both series I can say B*** in all honestly. Twilight is several magnitudes worse than even the worsrt Luke/Mara moments... I mean Bella compares Edward to the statue of David and every other random thing she views as perfection her little mind can think of.
    lolz... needed a laugh ;) thanks

But in all honestly there is some poor writing of Mara at times but this comparison is unfounded. Now in fairness there's bad writing of movie characters too in the EU, so take that as you will. Since you haven't read the EU know Mara almost always ends up on the top of any top EU character list, she's even made it in many top Star Wars character lists that includes movie characters. Take that as you will.
    • The worst sinner of that being Jaina... she's got 3 guys going after her at one point. Then after choosing Jagged Fel jumps right to love stage and living together as much as possible, then delays the marriage for ever in on again off again will the marriage ever happen (even though she very like had kids with him and that's who tbe future force weilding Fel's are 100 years later in the Legacy comics who imply a distant reative to Cade Skywalker who was a confirmed heir of Luke).
    • Jacen kinda got close to having 2 girls... though went back to his childhood sweetheart
    • Anakin Solo just had one steady girl friend (and a weird Mara is dying scene that some take out of context to him and her being a think, lolz)
    • Ben Skywalker has a big on and off again romance with a Sith/Jedi/Sith girl (though the whole sith again thing was shoehorned in melodrama written by Christie Golden to set up Troy Denning's next book where he in one of his once again horrible I have to end everything dark crazes kills the romance for now but keeps it open long term moments... even though we saw a future that clearly took place after fall where they hook back up again *sigh I mean really why bother when we already know they'll end up together again)
    • Allana Solo has been foreshadowed of being alone forever, Leia is worried for her granddaughter though Allana's only ten[face_rofl]
    But yes I agree they focused on it too much for the sole purpose of baiting fans forever on the status of their relationships. I hope Disney doesnt do this, that said the tactic did work and it sold books. Many fans want romance in Star Wars, Disney would be foolish to pass up romance with Jedi characters. However at least for the foreseeable future I dont think Disney will make the romance that heavy like the later post RotJ EU novels did, since they only have 2 hours to have a war in the movie too.

kainee likes this.
  7. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I think you underestimate people. Even kids point out the contrast and similarities between Luke and Anakin. So what if they dont understand the big words, part of them connects to and appreciates quality writing with reaccuring themes which Lucas himself was the part of the magic of Star Wars.

Are you accusing DarthBreezy of writing to meet others expectations or trying to match what the reality where she thought Luke would end up? :p

Ok more seriously, I was arguing about the writing options the choices as this thread states for Luke marital status leaves the series in. I just see marriage as best option and just teased DarthBreezy she knew the best choice via whar she enjoyed writing, and we want our writers to enjoy writing Star Wars cause passion can really bring out quality writing. My point is Someone may think they want Luke to be single but if they choose to write them being married it could be an indication they dont find it interesting enough to write about, I've seen plenty of batchelor Luke Jedi Master fanfics so cognitive dissonance doesnt really work as an excuse here.

Also just to clarify In my mind this isnt two conflicting ideas, so cognitive dissonance isnt something Im experiencing.

Your Point? Every time period is awful for a lot of people... for the sake of a story it's just inspiration for the plots conflicts.

Also Star Wars, for the most part, did have characters that internalized the time periods they're characters drew inspiration from. Star Wars aims to be more ageless, inversely that often requires being slightly old school and dated feeling.

Not saying Star Wars can't address more modern feelings too, but it should be more (not saying only though) explored from the new generation since it reflects how this plays out in reality.

8. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    This thread is the gift that just keeps on giving, at least if what you want is to cringe.

9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    No, I'm saying don't make the thread about me, as I am not going to marry Luke in Episode VII. ;)

Nice of you to assume I don't know how to talk to 20-somethings. :rolleyes:

But since we're on ageism: we middle-aged people are allowed to call ourselves old, but generally don't take too kindly to being called "old" by strangers.

I don't know why the PT "bashers" would give a flying **** about Luke being married as long as neither Hayden Christensen nor Jar-Jar Binks appear in the ST.

The "family story" is already there with Luke and Leia being siblings, and it's possible that Han and Leia will marry and have kids, making Luke the wise old uncle (which would be a cool role for him) and allowing for the torch to pass.

I like some of the EU as I said, so I'm not sure why you're assuming that anyone who reads SW novels loves Mara Jade. I'll need an extra popcorn bucket to puke in if that Mary Sue appears on screen. (And please don't use the grossly stereotypical "blah blah most people blah blah" unless you've got quantitative evidence.)

Bob Octa and Darth Chiznuk like this.
  10. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Skipping the pointless bickering between you and me, else we lock horns forever in its a your fault argument...

Many PT bashers had more concerns than those two... we both are aware of this please stop misrepresenting facts. Point is by allowing marriage Disney will be showing a willingness to break from the PT Jedi Order which many fans would prefer, since the PT Jedi fell due to their arrogance so reinturpertting the order shows both nee possibilites plot wise and Luke not repeating their mistakes (both plot wise and fan reception wise)

As to the family story already being there... true and not true. Luke has an extended family yes, but not his own family. See the difference? Not Saying Luke should pass the order to his children and not Leia's only that he should step back and let the kids of both families pick up the torch and on their own figure it out.

Now about Mara Jade, very charming discription of your reaction if Mara makes it into the films but its just your subjective opinion. You can't quantify it with evidence that the majority of people feel as you do. As to Mara's popularity, it is a known fact she's popular in fact Top 20 Star Wars character by IGN (ranked #19, she was the 5th EU character by ranking) this done Novemer 2010 (higher than Ashoka aka), IGN then asked if Star Wars EU characters should be used in the ST, over 15000 votes with 75% saying yes also by IGN. Our own poll here was pretty close to this scoring by percentage of fans wanting the EU used.

She's hit dozens of top character lists (typicially top 20 out of all characters, and top 5 to 10 for EU character lists... and yes I can pull up dozens of them), was the only Star Wars EU character to break the top 20 in Star Wars Insiders vote. Etc... I could go on and on. We both know though, that you're likely aware of this and just disregarded it though, so how about a deal? If Mara Jade makes the cut and gets into the film I'll mail you an extra popcorn bag to barf in ;)

kainee, V-2 and Darth_Pevra like this.
  11. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002

Make mine extra jumbo sized!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, from my experience, limited as it is, the people who have had issues with the way the old Jedi Order operated, have been hard-core Anakin fans.

You'd think I'd have more of a problem with their no-marriage rule, but I take every opportunity I can to prove that stereotypes are idiotic, and this one was ready made. I love Anakin to pieces but he should have left the Order when he married Padme.

To the point where I think Luke would feel something was missing from his life if he didn't marry? Nope.

Care to show me where I claimed otherwise?

Where have I claimed that they do, or even claimed that I care?

Again, I missed the part where I claimed to give a rat's ass what anyone else thinks of Mara. I am comfortable enough with my own opinion to not need the bandwagon game. ;)

13. ChildOfWinds

ChildOfWinds Chosen One star 6

Apr 7, 2001
    anakinfansince1983:

I have MANY issues with the way the old Jedi Order operated, the no-marriage rule and the taking of young children and not allowing them to have contact with their families, being at the top of the list. However, I am NOT an Anakin fan. In fact, I have never liked the character and have no sympathy for him. When he killed those younglings, that sealed the deal. He was an evil character who spent about 25 years killing countless individuals and helping to destroy the Jedi and the galaxy.

kainee, Darth_Pevra and Ryus like this.
  14. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Awesome. Defiance of generalizations, even one that I made, is always good. :D

15. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm not a fan of movie Anakin, far from it, but I still find the no-attachment rules stupid.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Well, if you don't want him I'll take him. :D

17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I want Han. Move over, Carrie Fisher.

18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Actually, come to think of it, Lando is probably the real prize of the original characters. That is , unless Leia breaks out the bikini. :)

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I want Salacious Crumb. I prefer a partner who laughs at all my jokes. And everything in general.

kainee, DarthTunick , Vthuil and 3 others like this.
  20. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    If Mara is not his wife then I rather see him single. After reading dozens of books where he is married to Mara Jade I think my mind would rebel at the notion that he married and had children with some other woman. Now if he is a widower and Mara is dead then I could see him dating again. For some reason that wouldn't bother me.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Would your brain procees it if he is married but to a new character whose name is Rama or Aram? :p

kainee likes this.
  22. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    Nope.

23. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    It took my brain a moment to realize you didnt type Mara twice. 8-}

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    After reading a few books in which he is married to Mara Jade, my mind rebels at the idea of her being in the film at all.

Bachelorhood please.

leiamoody and DarthBreezy like this.
  25. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    This will be me if 'She' is in the movie - *warning copious use of the word b*** so don't be surprised...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.