main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bobatron

Bobatron Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Luke can be unmarried and still not be a hermit like Obi-Wan. A relationship isn't the only reason to exist, contrary to what a lot of people think. I don't see it fitting of Luke's personality, but then if people have been reading EU books for the past fifteen years, they have a different perspective of Luke. George Lucas already made a comment about the expanded universe stuff, saying Luke doesn't get married.

kainee, Bob Octa, Lee_ and 3 others like this.
  2. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    I remember Yoda and Obi-Wan teaching Luke about what the Force is, how to use it, train his body and his mind to prepare himself to face his father in a very short time... his training was incomplete, but Yoda declared him a Jedi Knight 'cause there was no time and he already "knew the most important parts" about being a Jedi. Never saw Yoda tell him "Get married, you must not, Luke" and I can only imagine his reaction to that would've been a "WTF??"

kainee, Ryus and Jedi_Liz like this.
  3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He'll be a polygamist.

Sith-Mullet likes this.
  4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    I'm so in favor of Luke having a son in Episodes 7, 8 and 9, that I'm tempted to say something along the lines of: "As long as Luke has a son, I don't care how he gets there." But that would be a ridiculous assertion, and at any rate, by no means would it be true.

If Luke does wind up having that son, then the child will, of course, had to have had a mother (for simplicity's sake, I'll call her 'Mara'), and her story becomes a very important one to tell. Part of me is torn between, on the one hand, having Mara alive and well in the ST and, on the other, appeasing those who hope to see the EU kept relatively intact, and having her already passed on.

If Luke is indeed to have a family, then putting Mara in the ST certainly seems to make an awful lot of sense. That said, it doesn't necessarily have to be the only way of going about matters. Recall the way in which a few lines of discussion about Anakin between Obi-Wan and Luke in ANH served to establish some much-needed backstory, while giving us a character we wanted to know more about (and this is before anyone - Lucas included - had any inkling that Anakin=Vader). In much the same way, a short discussion in VII about a lost wife and mother between father and son would really peak the interest of the audience, could serve the stories of Luke and "Ben" in any number of ways, and would potentially make Luke's wife the must-see character for another vehicle (whether it be the new animated series being explored, a stand-alone feature film, or some other format). As I said, no matter Mara's fate by the time of the ST, her story would be important, and I feel it needs to be told on-screen, one way or the other.

As for Luke himself, the only way I can see him living as a hermit is during the time either before he met his wife, or following the events of Episode IX, where Luke wanders off alone in meditation of the will of the Force during his final years. In between, most of us imagine Skywalker will have begun to rebuild the Jedi Order and, in so doing, will have had ample opportunity to meet, and develop relationships with, any number of people. Maybe Mara is retconned as simply one of the Jedi Luke recruits?

I don't know, even if Luke never does have any children, it just seems plain to me that, having learned the lessons of the relationship between his father and he, Luke will opt to forego the 'no attachments' mandate of the old Jedi Order. In so doing, it makes perfect sense to me that Luke should lead the way by having a family of his own.

Besides that, the guy has just plain ol' earned it.

5. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    Why isn't gay an option? What if kissing his sister was a traumatic experience?

6. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    Since Mark Hamill is in his 60's, it would make sense that the Luke Skywalker character would have grown children. Ep. 7, I believe, is supposed to take place about 35-40 yrs ABY. This would make him being a widower with adult children believable

kainee and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  7. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Married or a widower... if a widower, and they mention his wife's name, I'd want it to be Mara for simplicity & to honor the EU. If she's still alive, then it's kinda up in the air...

...but like many others, I'd like the Skywalker name to continue. Luke needs at least one child. "Pass on what you have learned" and all that. That child--any children of his--would likely be an adult in VII, in their 20s or 30s, at the very least in their later teen years (ie no younger than 17 maybe). Part of me would love for the father/son theme to continue (and for "Ben" to be the son's name; I went "of course!" when I first read it in NJO, but I won't make a big stink if it's NOT Ben--unless it's something ridiculous like "Jar Jar Skywalker"), but switching that up so the father/daughter relationship is the more important theme could be fun, too. I'd really prefer that Luke have a couple kids, so we can see some Skywalker siblings who KNOW they're siblings for the whole trilogy, even if one of 'em isn't the main heroic focus of the ST.

8. Evil--Yoda

Evil--Yoda Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 11, 2012
    Singlllllllllllle.

9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd prefer married, because I want there to be a Skywalker heir (with the name, not just the genes), and because I disagree with the "no attachment rule". Luke has already disproven several of the rules of the old order and I think it would be counterproductive (and illogical) for him to be just like them.

10. Samayel_

Samayel_ Jedi Master star 2

Sep 26, 2012
    single and being an adoptive father?

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  11. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Single, but Disney might introduce the notion of Luke having a son/daughter he never knew about; similar to Anakin never knowing about Luke and Leia. With all the rumours flying around, allege true and fake, its pretty clear the EU will be ignored and treated as a separate universe.

12. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    Maybe Luke can turn out to be gay?

13. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    Maybe, but unlike the notion of Luke having children to carry on the Skywalker name, I'm not sure how Luke being gay would serve the story of the ST.

You know what I mean? If Luke has kids, the story of the Skywalker name continues, but minus that, for the purposes of moving the story forward to a new generation, if he's gay or straight, who cares? It would ceratinly serve to further Luke's characterization, though.

14. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Let's not get into that again. :/

JainaSoloYJK, DarthBreezy and Ryus like this.
  15. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    I would like him to have a relationship with Mara Jade (god, I hope they keep her at least) but with kid and no marriage.

Jedi_Lover and TreborSabreon like this.
  16. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Could live with this... but again wouldnt mind it being kids either

Totally agree with you about Mara Jade... really hope they keep her

TreborSabreon likes this.
  17. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I'd like him to have returned to Tatooine and married Camie Loneozner inbetween the movies

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    I'm hoping to see Shannon Baksa McRandle as Luke's wife.

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Luke should be gay married. That way we can use the film to explore vital contemporary issues.

Somebody was gonna say it, eventually...

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    At this rate I wonder how long till someone tries to top the last clown and bring up gay interspecies marriage? :oops: ;):p

JediGirl_Angelina and kainee like this.
  21. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

And while we're at it: occupy Coruscant:

[​IMG]

kainee, kataja, Sith-Mullet and 5 others like this.
  22. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I resent your flame. I would resent it more if I had meant my post, but I'm glad you followed it up with interpecies marriage. We both saved some poor souls the trouble of speculating on this while actually meaning it.

kainee and Ryus like this.
  23. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    IMO, Luke should not be and does not need to be:

1) Married
    2) A hermit
    3) Gay
    4) A Polygamist
    5) A Widower
    6) Divorced
    7) A father
    8) Getting laid

He can be a single, social, leadership-driven individual, dedicated to being the leader of the Jedi order. Let Leia have the kid, or let neither of them; I know people debate this, but the Skywalker line does not HAVE to be the main theme, it could be new force-sensitive individuals that become the heroes.

I disagree with the line of thinking that not allowing marriage caused Anakin to turn, I think his going against the forbidden attachment did that. Remember, social mores develop for powerful reasons (because of great consequence), and presumably, Anakin was not the first Jedi to majorly mess things up due to attachment; the Jedi made that rule for a reason. I know social mores can become outdated, but I don't think that is true in this case; there was great consequence in Anakin's turn (obviously).

The Jedi have a HIGHER CALLING (i.e. to be Jedi for the greater good, not devoted to wife, family or their loins), that is clear. I know people don't like that idea; it doesn't fit the All-American movie hero, who MUST have a wife, get laid, be a hit with the chics, etc. I think it makes for a more meaningful story though. There ARE people in our world who are celibate for their beliefs, and live meaningful lives (people think of pedophile priests as the only celibate ones on earth, NOT TRUE, you need to search a little further and gain a deeper understanding, celibacy is not always negative). There are plenty of other heroes who can get laid and have wives in SW.

I know all of this is controversial to SW fans. But a few reasons why this is up in the air as far as what will come true in Episode 7: (A) Lucas's comment about Jedi getting laid IMO was a joke; in any case, it could well be that Luke doesn't have a wife or kids in the movie, and the movie doesn't even address whether he is getting laid (sex is not exactly a central theme of SW anyway), and (B) the EU was not written by Lucas, and anything in it that contradicts what I am saying is marginally significant if not totally irrelevant in regard to Episode 7.

kainee, Bob Octa and Bobatron like this.
  24. Vastor

Vastor Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 1, 2012
    Luke have a wife and damd the EU she is not dead !

[​IMG]

Jedi_Lover, CaptainHamYoyo and Ryus like this.
  25. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    Luke looks like he's thinking about divorce in that picture.

kainee, kataja, BigAl6ft6 and 6 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.