main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    But... Jedi believe 'there is no death, there is the force'. So wouldnt Jedi marriages be forever? Therefore dating after she's dead is still cheating :p:)

kainee likes this.
  2. DARTH-FURBABY

DARTH-FURBABY Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2004
    If priests or anyone else are pedophiles, then by definition they are NOT celibate. Celibate means NOT having sex!

kainee likes this.
  3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I meant they were designated as celibate, pointing to the negative connotations associated with positions designated as celibate that was caused by the scandal in the Catholic Church. .

4. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Skipped much of this thread so I don't know if this had been pointed out or not.

Luke have a kid that he didn't know about suddenly show up? Yeah, that worked so well in The Crystal Skull...NOT!!! (But because, like Episode VII, a story written by George Lucas, so a possibility it is).

5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I didn't like that about Crystal Skull and I liked that movie in general. Mutt should have been Marion's son with her British pilot husband.

6. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Mutt should never have been in the movie IMO.

7. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    Hear is the deal. If look is married to Mara, the Mara Jade fans will watch as will the general public. Jade-haters probably not (meaning they won't be in line for the midnight showing).

If Mara's character is either greatly changed, same results.

If it's a different wife or Luke has no wife at all, the Jade haters and general public will see it. Will the Mara Jade fans? Yes, yes they will.

I'm kind of tired of the Jade-haters because they seem to be stuck on the point that they are the cool kids for doing so. They also hate how "strong and brave" parts of the NJO made her sound...yet they swear they love everything about it. The series butchered a lot of characters. KJA purposely butchered her character trying to set Luke up as an Obi-Wan monk-like character. The next few books had him with Calista or chasing after her. Would you prefer him with Calista Ming over Mara Jade? Really?

It's cool to hate Mara Jade because, well, Kyp Durron just isn't that popular of a character so if you said "I hate Kyp Durron" most people would say, "yeah, so?"

8. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    OK, what?

Do you realize how insulting you are being when you say that people who hate Mara Jade, do so because "it's cool"? Really? Like we could not have any other possible reason for hating the character, because, I dunno, she's so "strong and brave" that she must be loved unless someone is just trying to be "cool"? :rolleyes:

I explained to you in LACWAC when you asked why I liked the NJO and hated Jade. I'll repeat it for you just for the hell of it although I suppose it will fall on deaf ears again, as you seem to have already decided the "Jade haters'" reasoning before asking us: I want to be shown how awesome a character is; I don't want to be told. But by all means, if you're "tired of the Jade haters," put us all on "ignore" and you'll never have to read our posts again. Heaven forbid you have to tolerate people who hate a character that you like.

Based on your synopsis though, it seems that in order to appeal to the largest sized movie audience, it's better that Luke have a different wife or no wife at all.

leiamoody likes this.
  9. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Interestingly enough, this is the same reason many give about people who don't like the PT. That it's "cool to bash the prequels" so that's why people do it. Just an observation.

10. The Kulvax Sisters

The Kulvax Sisters Jedi Master star 2

Jan 10, 2013
    Am i the only one far more interested in how the Luke/Leia dynamic would continue, given that she just found out she is force sensitive, I know the EU has already vastly touched on this but she basically does nothing about it, I hope this changes in the ST and we some how see her being trained by Luke, if there is any relationship I would be interested in for Luke, it would primarily be his family relationship with his newly discovered sister.

JediGirl_Angelina and kainee like this.
  11. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I'm very interested in the Luke/Leia dynamic.

12. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    If nothing else it should be hilarious just watching your avatar's reactions to his 'highness' going all Jedi.

kainee and Pro Scoundrel like this.
  13. Sum-Wan

Sum-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Feb 16, 2013
    To that I would have to say that she found out she had the Force since the end of ROTJ when Luke told her she was his sister and the Force was strong in his family, and since the story of Episode VII will be set a few decades after ROTJ to match the ages of the actors then she's known about her Force sensitiveness for that long. Did she train to become a Jedi or not? and why? that's the question and that's a decision she likely made long before the time of the ST...

kainee and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  14. The Kulvax Sisters

Jan 10, 2013
    This is the main assumption yes, that is if the big three cast members are indeed actually on board for good, they could quite easily go for a recast and set the film not long after, whom knows.

15. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    OMFG. Seriously?

You don't get around the boards much do you? Many fan fiction writers/readers adore the character, and those of us who don't like her don't have the half massive following that MJ writers do - if I could feign even mild interest in the character enough to even mention her in my own works, I'd be a lot more popular with the 'other kids'.

There are a myriad of reasons I loath the character - most are pretty well covered so I won't go out of my way to rile up those who do like her, but being 'one of the cool kids' is the farthest thing from it.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah. The Beyond the Saga section is by far the largest and most popular in Fan Fiction and a good portion of it is Mara stories. Mara stories seep into the Saga section as well. And giving Luke a different wife even in an AU story will warrant comments.

I don't really care, but still...if Mara hating is "cool," I certainly missed that memo.

kainee likes this.
  17. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002
    A memo I missed, hence the reason I pretty much gave up on posting in FF.

18. Slash78

Jul 30, 2004
    I'm around this board enough to see that every time Mara Jade's name is mention or her character is even implied that about a dozen people spam the thread with their hate.

19. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Bolding is mine - it's only because anywhere else, Mara love is revered as a Saint - Usually we 'haters' just keep it bottled away to keep the peace. Heck, even I've toned down my anti Mara posts because I've made it pretty clear where I stand (for once,) as apposed to just not talking about her. It was just nice to be able t let it out for a change.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Let the hate flow through you. :)

21. DarthBreezy

Jun 4, 2002

Oh it does! Just not onto the Keyboard as much.... :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  22. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    To be honest, that still doesn't make it enjoyable to read. I'm... indifferent, at best, towards Mara Jade, but when I come onto fansites I want to see fans. Why is it necessary to "let it out" in public at all? Can't you just exchange PMs or something instead of derailing an (admittedly kind of silly, but still) entirely unrelated thread?

maychild likes this.
  23. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    Because it's ridiculous to see the amount of people who insist Mara Jade *has* to be in the movie? Because there is a severe lack of thinking outside the box when it comes to fans who absolutely insist that the sequels can only pull their characters and situations from the EU? But then of course, if the EU does get used, there will be so many complaints from the same group of "fans" because the movies don't get their favorites from the books just right. The Mara haters, like those who don't find the EU in general to be their cup of whatever, are made to feel like they don't belong from these fans.

24. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell, this again. [face_rolling_eyes ]

1. Nobody here is responsible for ensuring that their posts are enjoyable for you to read, only that they don't violate the TOS. Use the ignore button if you don't want to read anti-Mara posts.

2. As Mara Jade doesn't post here, posts expressing their hatred of her do not violate the TOS. Last I checked, this site is not a "Mara Jade fan site," and no one is required to like Mara Jade in order to like Star Wars.

3. I used to complain every time someone bashed Anakin Skywalker. The mods told me to get over it. They were right to do so. Which makes it more mind-boggling that 10 years later so many people are coming to the boards with complaints about "not wanting to read" criticism of a favorite character. I was pretty much a unique phenomenon then.

4. All gushing, all the time would get boring very quickly.

25. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    I was honestly not aware that Mara Jade was the subject of a long running heated argument.
    My indifference is strong with this one.

kainee, V-2 and anakinfansince1983 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.