main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Luke is single and uses the MC's to create a child.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002

Well said.

Lol.

3. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012

[​IMG]

4. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That's all fine and well, but personally, I simply prefer to see Luke answer his higher calling to the galaxy while also answering the higher calling of fatherhood (and there's no reason that I can see that Luke couldn't excell at both, simultaneously). It's important to me that Luke's lineage continue through a son, and that has absolutely zero to do with fitting some stereotype of the "all-american movie hero."

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    The only compromise is that Luke gets his son from the Kaminoans.

kainee and Trebor Sabreon like this.
  6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    Awww man, I almost just choked on my juice.

I've always recognized something out of place with that pic, and you just provided a hilarious possibility.

7. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    Yes, these ideas are all personal preference, and have been debated to death on this site. My main point was that they have not been decided (or at least that decision is not yet public knowledge), and all bets are off as far as what will come true in the ST.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    I would go with him being married because I definitely would like to see the third generation of Skywalker. I could care less if her name is Mara Jade or not because I've never been too fond of the character to begin with. All I hope for is that whoever the mother is (if he is married) that she plays a significant role in the film other than being there to be hero's mother/Luke's wife. I wouldn't mind it if she is dead at the start of the ST if that plays a huge part in the hero's motivations. I just don't want her to be simply there.

9. SithLord_1270

SithLord_1270 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 5, 2008
    I am in the favor of him being married. Let Luke have a woman & some happiness for a change!

But here is something I thought of: everybody is assuming that if he has a son, the kid is automatically Force sensitive, but what if he is not? What if they take the route that was taken in the Revan novel, that Bastilla's sone was not force sensitive. Or, what if the Force just hasn't been awakened within his son yet.

Or unlike in the EU, his son doesn't want to be a Jedi. Ever. How would Luke handle that?

10. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I vote "widowed, remarried, hermit, with dozens of children".

He'll be like an Appalachian moonshiner. living off the land with his modestly hot wife, killing trespassers and tax collectors. with nothing to do all day but teach his kids how to pinata-flail a light-saber; drink home-brewed blue milk; and make little Skywalkers.

11. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Given Luke's own start in life, when his Uncle was trying to keep him home to live the life of a farmer against Luke's desire to live the life he wanted for himself, I think Luke would be fine with a son who didn't want to be a Jedi

12. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Sorry but that book (Revan) was terrible (and worse retconned a great story)... it proved why that shouldn't be done imho. Plus Yoda said with his dying breaths that the force runs strong in Luke's family, so even though this was meant to mean only Leia, I'd be upset if Luke's kids didnt have the force strongly also (not saying they have to be more powerful than Luke/Vader though)

Not wanting to be a Jedi is fine though (and kinda like young Ben Skywalker in the EU).

kainee likes this.
  13. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Luke should be on his third marriage in Episode VII. ;)

kainee, V-2, Immortiss and 2 others like this.
  14. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol I love it ... totally broke, taking crap bodyguard jobs to pay alimony.

kainee, Immortiss, BigAl6ft6 and 3 others like this.
  15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    He's sure to fall to the dark side paying alimony

kainee likes this.
  16. ginchy

ginchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 25, 2005
    I hope that he is married or widowed. I'd love to see him have a daughter, actually. (But a son is fine, too!) And I love Mara Jade so I would probably faint in the theater if she is the wife (or was the wife). Even if it's not Mara I would rather see him married or widowed because I'd love for him to have a family outside of just the Jedi Order. I definitely don't want him to be a hermit, but if he's single and an active Jedi Master I can live with that, too. Maybe. ;)

kainee, Lady_Misty and kataja like this.
  17. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    I suppose there is plenty of room for compromise, especially given the level of futuristic medical technology in SW; Luke could have a son while still abiding by the Jedi Code.

In SW, they shouldn't even need a surrogate mother or artificial insemination; they should be able to just take Luke's DNA and clone a force sensitive baby, or grow a non-clone that is his child in a tube from his DNA (maybe mixed with the DNA of a force-sensitive female, I see the Metachlorian count being higher than ever!).

kainee likes this.
  18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I'd like to see him together with Mara Jade, but not married. I would also like it if the two of them have children.
    Why do people assume he has to be married to have kids? People have kids born out of wedlock all the time ^^

SithLord_1270 likes this.
  19. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Cause it garantees the kids last names will be Skywalker (which many fans want the name to continue) not all kids born out of wedlock get their fathers last name. True that some children born out of wedlock get their fathers last name, but it would be less relateable and require some screen time to explain why they never married yet the woman let her kids get the fathers last name.

Its also just a moe relateable theme... Did I mention that some cultures even in modern days would view these kids as sins due to the lack of their patents being married, not a trait they'd get from a father who supposedly embues the lightside of the force. To them its either no kids/marriage or marriage+kids.

Now personally I'd be more than willing to give up marriage to get Mara (as long as still happily with Luke) to become top level cannon and avoid her becoming non-cannon + them having kids... that said I want the Skywalker name to carry on too.

kainee and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Around where I live, it's almost as common that the husband takes the last name of the wife when they get married as the other way around (Luke Jade? [face_thinking]) . Or they just keep their old names.
    So no, that not any more of a guarantee than if they are unwed.
    Also, some people here have talked about how Star Wars shouldn't be used to push "liberal left wing agendas", like having characters be homosexual - but apparently it's supposed to withhold old Christian ("right wing"?) agendas, like how it's a sin to have premarital sex?
    Nah...

;)

EDIT: Maybe I should clarify that this post was slightly tongue-in-cheek. I have no desire to debate this. This board is hardly the place for it either. [face_peace]

kainee and kataja like this.
  21. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I'm not sure what I'd really want to see, other than a really good story that involves Luke, Leia, Han, Chewie, and Lando. I do know that I want them to keep in mind certain things that were sort of set up in the OT.

1. The force being strong in the Skywalker family.

I see this as being both ways. One, that Luke should train Leia to use the force, and two, that both Luke and Leia have offspring that are strong in the force.

2. That Yoda will always be with Luke.

Obi-Wan tells that to Luke after Yoda dies. In the end, we see all three of them (Yoda, Ben, and Anakin) as force ghosts. I'd like to see them be able to talk with Luke, and Leia, and that they helped Luke train and rebuild the jedi order.

3. Yoda said in RotS that he failed.

That could be taken several ways as well. One, that he failed to stop Sidious. It could also mean that he failed the Jedi Order with his leadership. Going back to my second point, I'd like Yoda to encourage Luke to make some changes in the Jedi Order...accepting families, etc.

It'd be cool to see some of the other characters that we know and love show up...with their families.

And seeing that Luke and Leia will be in their 60's and Han in his 70's, it'd be interesting if the ST isn't really about Luke and Leia's kids...but their kids' kids, or grandchildren. My parents are in their 60's, my in-laws are in their 70's. My wife and I are in our 40's (our siblings are either late 30's or late 40's/early 50's). We all have kids ranging from 17 to 5....about what I'd expect from Luke and Leia's families. However, if Luke and Leia took a couple years concentrating on training and rebuilding the Jedi, I could see them having younger kids...say in their mid to late 20's, but younger than that will be stretching it if you ask me.

But, like I said, I just want to see them continue with what was set up in the OT more so than what was done in the EU (and I'm an EU fan).

22. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Single: Because it allows for progressive plot development as opposed to having to explain any of the other options.

Why not the others:

Married: Because you would have to explain to some degree who this person was. If they are important to the plot in any way, this becomes more difficult. If she is not relevant in any way to the story, why bother?

Divorced: If he is divorced, and not in contact with this person, there is no point. If this person were there for a reason, for example, to be revealed as the villain later, I would expect huge and senseless plot holes.

Widower: Why bother.

Bob Octa and Lee_ like this.
  23. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Luke will be the first person to produce asexually.

24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    He should be.

maychild and Darth_Pevra like this.
  25. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    I personally liked it most when Luke was single and picking the absolute worst choices in love interests. It was pretty funny. On the other hand, I’m not against him having a family and I’m okay with Mara Jade. Either way, I believe that it’s important part of Luke’s character to completely disregard the former Jedi Order’s no attachment rule – to his detriment and benefit alike.

kainee and Vastor like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.