main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke be single, married, divorced, or a widower?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by newdawn12, Apr 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    No divorced characters, please. It's been overused in every single romcom and 'family movie' of the 90's. :rolleyes:

That being said, I wouldn't mind if Luke was single and didn't have kids. If it best serves the story for Luke to be a celibate monk, then so be it. I do not see him as the type to just pick up girls on every planet...his character is way too wholesome for that.

Of course my fangirl self has grown rather attached to the EU Luke who relates well to kids, and I would squee to no end seeing Luke with a family of his own. (yes, I am a helpless romantic. :p)

Another possibility: single 'dad' raising his orphaned niece/nephew/adoptive child.

2. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    Mara should be Luke's 4th and 6th ex wife (and wear an eye-patch).

kainee likes this.
  3. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    I'm a woman and if I had to chose I'd rather watch a movie about people with relationships than about celibate monk-types. If Luke is celibate because he follows the PT rules then the new protagonist would also have to remain celibate, unless they want to repeat Anakin/Padmé (I sure hope not!).

Also there's the thing that chick-flicks are often marketed towards women while action films are marketed towards males. Are you suggesting that hollywood doesn't know its own market research? I'm certain they research heavily in this kind of questions.

4. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    Mara should be Luke's 4th and 6th ex wife (and wear an eye-patch).
    -----

better yet, have her in it for 10 seconds, have Luke wake up in cold sweat and proclaim "this is disturbing, Jedi aren't supposed to have nightmares"

you please everybody that way :p

Darth_Pevra: each to their own,

and I'm suggesting we live in the 21st century, not every woman wants to watch days of our lives, nothing to do with market research

5. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    I just meant a fantasy film in space would be even better to the masses if it had romance too. The women part was more meant as a random group of people vs the stereotypicial nerdy male Star Wars fans to be asked that question who already have debated this to death. So it was just a poorly phrashed 'dont only ask obivious fanboy/girls' ask a grandpa, ask a teacher, ask a random coworker, etc... Nothing else to see there, move along.

Please also dont bring up Days of our lives... your putting words in my mouth

6. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Lol, I am certainly not someone who watches soaps. Don't even know what "days of our lives" is. But I've seen enough movies to have a general impression on how Hollywood crafts its stories.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm a woman and I think the "love interest" bull**** is waaaayyy overblown. There is a lot more to life than being in love; I would hope that the new movie doesn't cater to those who think otherwise. Hell, in FOTR, Peter Jackson overused Aragorn and Arwen, to the gross detriment of the film. Their relationship in the book was relegated to the appendix, and that's where it should have stayed.

I'd rather see space battles, well- written villains and Han Solo being a smartass. Or even a story like Firefly which has minimal romance and the most dignified character is a "companion."

And I want to hang out with TheMadHatter 's girlfriend, who sounds pretty damn cool.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Perhaps he's celibate because of personal choice and he doesn't force it on anyone else. He let's the other Jedi make their own choice. Just a thought.

9. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I have never seen a 'chick flick' at the theatre - I loathe such manufactured garbage.

10. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Firefly has minimal romance?
    Jayne is into Kaylee
    Mal is into Inara
    Wash and Zoe are together
    Simon is into Kaylee

So many love angles you could easily lose track. The only male crew member who isn't into romance is Book, and he's the resident monk.

Actually the Inara/Mal stuff was pretty annoying and I would say I'm not very big on romances in general. I would even go so far and say I think like the stereotypical male most of the time (and write like one, if my reviewers are to be believed). Conventional romance doesn't appeal to me much.
    But I rather have that Luke, extrovert that he is, stays grounded in reality (and a girlfriend helps with this) instead of becoming the next blathering PT-monk who knows nothing about life and emotions. Like Ryus said Obi-Wan 2.0 I don't want to see.

Plus, my personal likes and dislikes are in this case irrelevant. They don't influence how Hollywood makes its movies.

Ryus likes this.
  11. Darth_Pevra

May 21, 2008
    Why should he make that choice? It seems weird that OT-Luke would do this. He never showed signs of celibacy.

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Well said. I'm not calling for Luke to be celibate, but if he's forced to be a sentimentalized married father and the younger generation spends the whole film recreating Han and Leia's bicker-flirting ESB romance, I'll probably just shake my head and wait for the non-Abrams material to start arriving.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  13. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    He decides to devote his life to a higher purpose. Discovering more about the Force, looking for Force sensitives, rebuilding the Jedi Order, leading the Jedi Order. I'm not saying he couldn't do these things and also be a father but perhaps he decides to give his full commitment to those endeavors instead. Or perhaps it is something else entirely. There are a number of reasons why he could choose this and it probably wouldn't even be explored in film. We would just see Luke childless and mentoring the next generation and I don't think many would bat an eye.

14. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Luke should be married with an only child, hopefully a young daughter. Sure, it can be Mara Jade. Like I've always said, these films should not adhere to any post-ROTJ continuity. Wipe the slate clean.

kainee likes this.
  15. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Are you saying the daughter can be Mara Jade or the mother? Im fine with Luke having a daughter, but why would his daughters last name be Jade? [face_tee_hee]

It should be the iconic last name of the series, Skywalker ;)

kainee likes this.
  16. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    Eh, either works for me. They can't have middle names? Haven't you heard of Chew-lacca-bacca?

kainee likes this.
  17. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Next thing you're going to be telling me Doctor Who doesnt have time travel. :oops:

V-2 likes this.
  18. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Married to Leia.:)

19. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Well, if she chooses to tell you as such, she would be correct. The Doctor does not have time travel, which is why he requires the Tardis. :-B

20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    ^Doctor Who, not The Doctor. learn the difference:-B

[​IMG]

V-2 likes this.
  21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I would love to obtain the difference. How does one go about earning such knowledge...?

22. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    Beat you to fixing it :p

23. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I noticed. I always go back after I post because I'm certain I am racing against the clock to save myself from being hit with the grammar hammer...

24. VanishingReality

VanishingReality Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 21, 2013
    Those three things are definitely where Star Wars excels. (Especially the villains)

I'm a fangirl and shipper. But I think when it comes to romance in a fantasy epic, less is more, and the rest should be to the audience's imagination. In regards to the PT, specifically Anakin and Padme's scenes, they should have gone with a lot less.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I am barely interested in my own sexuality... being imbibed with who Jedi are shacking up with is the furthest thing from my interests.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.