main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Should Luke Die in This Trilogy?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by RSarnecky, Dec 19, 2015.

1. lawton

lawton Jedi Master star 4

May 12, 2015

Snoke probably just doesn't want any Jedi order forming again. I doubt Snoke is scared of Luke and is on his level despite some theories here about his identity. Snoke is the one directing all this stuff to be destroyed in the galaxy while Luke is off living in a cave for years.

2. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    No matter who is in what position, meditating with the force can make one stronger than constant aggresion. (see Qui Gon in Ep.I waiting for shield binders)

I see Luke mastering the art of force ghost and becoming one to help Rey escape. My guess is this has to take place in the next episode. I don't see the new Jedi Order starting by then. I would like to see it start in secret by Luke before his passing. Rey's training would have hopefully been completed by this time.

3. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    nope Luke should not die. If necessary, only at the end of IX after he started the new Jedi order. :rolleyes:

4. zackm

zackm Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 22, 2015
    Luke should go out like Yoda sometime in the far future.

5. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    I really hope they don't take that easy way to move through Generations by murdering characters when their time is over.

Some people should live happily ever after.

Colm likes this.
  6. Inanna

Inanna Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 3, 2016
    Batman, Superman, James Bond, Rocky, and Luke Skywalker should never die on screen. They can walk away/retire and turn the reins over to another, but they should never die. These character bring hope to the masses.

Inanna

7. MidKnighT

MidKnighT Force Ghost star 4

May 23, 2005
    He might die in VIII since that episode is "darker".

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

8. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I totally agree, however that is "anti-Hollywood" these days. It's like the character has to be "ended", just to make sure they don't bring them back. I mean look at Han: they stabbed him in the heart with a lightsaber, through him down a big pit, then blew up the planet he was in. Ford was making SURE there was no way he'd return.

Agent M likes this.
  9. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    I hope not in VIII after he was just found. :(

10. Lord_Axle

Lord_Axle Jedi Grand Master star 1

May 1, 2002
    They have repeatedly said that the new trilogy is really about the new generation, it’s not about the OT characters. It is definitely given that they will be finishing the stories of Luke, Leia, Han and perhaps even Chewbacca.

Not that I want this. But it is inevitable. They cannot have Luke around, casting his big shadow on the next trilogy, that they will obviously green light.

11. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    He and Chewbacca should retire on a farm on the forest moon on Endor...But, seriosuly, can you imagine an ending like that for him? Characters like this almost always die, as cliche as it may be. He's lived a full life... what more is there for him now? Does any one really take comfort that an old retired jedi spends the last of his days collecting berries for supper? They might keep him alive, but I doubt it. Even with the Tron sequel Disney was quick to kill off old characters, make them a martyr.

A character like Leia, for whatever reason, at least for me is easier to see retiring gracefully some where.I wouldn't have a problem with Luke having a happy ending or surviving the new trilogy but I have a hard time imagining it... he's an old man, he has no more story. What's he going to do train younglings again? Go retire on a farm??

12. Darth__Lobot

Darth__Lobot Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 29, 2015
    No - that would be too cliched in my opinion

13. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    As I said, if Luke has to die, only at the end of IX, but it would be better if he walks into the sunset with an open ending up to interpretation like Interstellar. ;)
    The perfect ending for a legend. :)

Darth Basin likes this.
  14. StarWarsFreak93

StarWarsFreak93 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 20, 2015
    I think so, yes. That way his story is wrapped up permanently and we can focus on new characters.

15. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    If Luke dies in VIII already it would be terrible in my opinion after he was not in TFA. :(

16. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    I think Luke should not die in this trilogy. He deserves to have a happy ending where he starts a new Jedi Temple or something.

nightangel likes this.
  17. Bacbacca

Bacbacca Jedi Master star 3

Nov 26, 2011
    Kylo is going of kill everyone, EVERYONE!

Luke, Leia, Nien Nunb, Ackbar, JJ's friends. EVERYONE!
    That's the only way he is generally going to be seen as a cool bad guy.

Darth Basin and GregMcP like this.
  18. Millennium Falcon 888

Millennium Falcon 888 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 6, 2016
    Let's hope they don't kill off Luke but instead, send him into retirement by being the head of some Jedi academy, without having to be at the forefront of things anymore... And he, together with Leia and Chewie will also go out in honor, passing the baton to the new characters for future SW installments.

This will mean leaving Luke's legacy intact while preserving his name as a legendary character of the SW saga - who will not be killed off but rather, die at an advanced age a la Yoda.

Sent from MillenniumFalcon AI using Tapatalk

nightangel likes this.
  19. Yodahasgreenfeet

Yodahasgreenfeet Jedi Master star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    So that he can reach 80 and have some one turn on him again and strike him down? I would have thought that Rey would be his last, final student.

20. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    you mean his only student? It is the only student that we will see being trained by Luke if this is the case. :(

21. Sir_Greedo

Sir_Greedo Jedi Youngling

Dec 22, 2015
    I hope he doesn't. It would be cool to see at least one master make it through a trilogy.

nightangel likes this.
  22. JediBlack

JediBlack Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 31, 2015
    They should do what works best for the story.

Having said that, my immediate thought is no - they already killed one super popular OT character...even if they have to "retire" some others, they don't need to kill them all to give them an ending to their stories.

23. Heroic BB-8

Heroic BB-8 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2015
    it's probably for the best. Hamill isn't getting any younger and replacing him would be a disaster.

although, have they revealed anything of their plans re: time between trilogies?

24. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    Mark is 10 years younger than Ford. [face_sigh]