main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Luke Skywalker have a son?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Feb 5, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    In the new continuity?

I liked how in Legends we got another good male skywalker in the form of Ben Skywalker. Unfortunately while jacen's character got assassinated, we also had Anakin Solo who remained a good man even when death came.

But in the new continuity, there is a lack of male skywalker related bloodline after Luke that are still good people. Sure we could get pre evil Ben Solo in the new canon, but the knowing he becomes a monster takes away from that good image.

Now maybe Disney is setting up Rey to be Luke's offspring. Though I wish she wasn't. But even if she was, I still believe there is room for Luke to have a son. Besides the obvious difference of being a dude, he could also not be force sensitive. Finally giving us a non-Jedi Skywalker other then Shmi Skywalker.

So do you want to see son of Luke eventually?

Or should Luke not enter a relationship and remain single, therefore no children?

Though if Luke stayed.....Solo, perhaps he could have a son, but not one of blood. A boy who becomes like a son to him. Basically Luke could become a father figure with still pulling a single Jedihood.

2. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Why not a daughter?

(Also, for all we know, one of their goals for the ST could be the extinction of the Skywalker bloodline.)

3. Skywalker2B

Skywalker2B Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 8, 2000
    I have an idea that, in order to actually continue the Skywalker name going past Ep. IX, in 8 or 9 we'll discover that Luke was married and: a. Luke and his wife had a son after Rey, but the mother was killed or died from something. Or, b. Luke's wife took their son with her into hiding about the time the Knights of Ren are formed or during their attack; both (mother and son) were presumed dead when the Knights of Ren attacked the jedi. Either way, I think Luke and his wife believe their daughter (Rey) was either killed or kidnapped or something. Maybe Luke isn't alone at the end of TFA. Maybe his wife and son are there and Luke went into hiding to protect them...what he thought was the remaining hope to continue the jedi. Either way, the son is revealed in 8 or 9 to fight along with Rey to defeat Snoke (whom I still think is Palpatine…or some type of C’Baoth re-canonization).

The Skywalkers are my favorite characters and I want to see their line continue. It's one of the reasons I loved the Legacy comics. I had thought about Rey being an only child and having a son without being married, so that boy would continue the Skywalker name. However, I don't like that idea of Rey being an unwed mother. But I do like the idea of a Rey having a brother out there that we don't find out about until Ep.8 or 9.

Keep in mind that GL, and now those continuing the story, never like to get rid of ideas. They tend to reuse them in some form or another. If memory serves, originally, in George's 9 or 12-part outline, Leia wasn't Luke's sister, but he had a sister that didn't appear until the 3rd trilogy. Then he and her together would finally defeat the Emperor (who also wasn't supposed to show up until the 3rd trilogy). So, in a sense, my idea keeps that original concept from GL...not that I'm a GL worshiper. I'm not. I think he totally blew it by killing Padme in RotS which messes up Leia's line in RotJ. I thought I should provide a link to where Gary Kurtz outlines the original ideas for the 9 episodes. Notice that Leia wasn't supposed to be Luke's sister, but that his sister would appear in Ep. 8. That is where my idea for Rey having a brother that shows up later comes from.
    http://www.theforce.net/latestnews/story/gary_kurtz_reveals_original_plans_for_episodes_19_80270.asp

4. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I'd prefer not.

I've mentioned before that I like the "mythic" implications of Vader, "the Father", having had no father of his own. And I similarly feel that Luke, "the Son", should have no son of his own.

5. Amon_Amarth

Amon_Amarth Force Ghost star 6

Jan 27, 2005
    Son, or a daughter. Yes. Star Wars is largely a Skywalker saga. I sincerely hope that tantrum-thowing Kylo is not the only legacy of that. I hope there is another.

starocean90 likes this.
  6. PimpBacca

PimpBacca Jedi Master star 4

Oct 4, 2015
    I'm kinda hoping he has new cannon Cade skywalker, could work if he went off and went all bounty hunter after the death of all luke's Jedi.

7. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Not sure why the focus has to be on Luke having a son and not a daughter. A daughter can do the same things as a male offspring.

8. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    JediMara77, I can't speak for StarWarsFan91, but, for me, it's about continuing the Skywalker name. Sure, a daughter can continue the lineage, but would lose the name...unless, as I said before, that daughter has a child out of wedlock. I just don't know if LFL/Disney would want to glorify that idea. So, introducing a son of Luke's would seem to be the logical way to continue the "saga", which KK told us was about the Skywalkers.

9. EECHUUTA

EECHUUTA Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2007
    ^^^ I'm thinking that they are thinking about the old traditional way of passing on a surname through a son, even though there are actually many ways a female can keep and pass on her old surname. Either her husband takes on her surname (does happen if there are no sons in her family to carry it on) or she never marries the one who she conceived the child with.

But it depends what they can go with nowadays. The children could also decide to take their mother's maiden name if they really hate their father/her husband for some reason, say if he turns out to be a really evil person and has done bad things. In a way, disowning their father.

10. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    PimpBacca, that sounds interesting! What if...Cade Skywalker, Rey's older brother, took her away to keep her safe from Snoke. Something happens and he gets into bounty hunting. Before he goes on a particularly dangerous bounty hunt, he drops of Rey on Jakku telling her that he'll return for her. Somewhere along the way something happens to Cade and he can't return for her. In Ep.VIII, Rey and Luke go off together to find Cade. Episode IX, Rey and Cade defeat Snoke.

PimpBacca likes this.
  11. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Somehow the Solo name continued in Legacy even though Han had no living male heirs. So Luke doesn't need to have a son.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Daneira, I don't think they ever explained how, or even if, Ania was related to Han and Leia Solo. We don't know if she came from Allana's line, or Jaina's. We know that that Jaina took the name "Fel". For all we know, Ania could have come from Thracken's line, or Han had a son from some other woman before he met Leia. The authors of those comics may not have even figured out her lineage and just wanted to do a story about a Solo in the Legacy era. We don't know.

Daneira likes this.
  13. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004

....Why would a daughter "lose" the name? Leia Organa didn't change her last name. And there was a lot of fan debate over whether or not Ben's last name would be Organa or Solo, so the idea of a child taking their mother's name isn't out of the question.

There's certainly no reason why Luke's daughter wouldn't be able to continue on with the Skywalker name.

14. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    Hmmm...I thought Leia did take the Solo name: Leia Organa Solo...and Ben's name was Ben Solo. Perhaps I'm wrong. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

15. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    She's Leia Organa Solo in Legends, not canon. Every other canon story she's referred to as Leia Organa.

You are correct, Ben's last name is Solo; the point is that for awhile that wasn't confirmed by anything in canon and fans were debating on what his last name would be. Meaning that, in the Star Wars universe, it wouldn't seem weird for a child to take their mother's name instead of their father's.

16. Ewan Tibbetts

Ewan Tibbetts Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2016
    I don't think continuing the line is all that important. Children often do wildly different things to their parents. If the line does continue I hope Luke's kids open a restaurant in the Anthan system.

Snax Rebo and Daneira like this.
  17. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I assumed she was Allana's descendant. Thrackan's would be presumably Sal-Solos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18. Skywalker2B

Dec 8, 2000
    ^^^ Ania's family history could have gone a number of ways, but the authors never told us definitively, so...we don't know.

My view is that I'd like to see the Skywalker name continue, and through a male heir. Others have their own view. *shrug* To each his own. Over the next few years we'll see what LFL/Disney want to do. Until then...

19. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    "should only be a boy" nonsense aside, I think I'd be okay with the Skywalker Saga of films ending with 9. I think Star Wars is bigger than the Skywalkers, and having new Sagas, in an era far past or far future featuring new family lines and family drama could be interesting as well.

20. FTeik

FTeik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 7, 2000
    Who should that be? Kylo Ren? :D

21. Mira Grau

Mira Grau Force Ghost star 5

May 11, 2016
    Well given that Fin seems to be Reys love interest for these movies the Skywalker line woukd continue as Fin doesn't have a Family name.
    So there would be no need for a son.

22. Snax Rebo

Snax Rebo Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 1, 2017
    Next to the cafe that Porcellus and Malakili opened, right? [face_laugh]

Ewan Tibbetts likes this.
  23. SilentGuy66

SilentGuy66 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 1, 2014
    I love how everyone is overthinking about the future on the skywalker line when there's a main character in the ST who comes from the desert planet and is super strong in the force.....

Play coy all you like Lucasfilm but you're not fooling me. Her last name is skywalker ;)

24. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    They talk about Luke being the King Arthur of the saga now, but the role of Mordred is arguably Kylo Ren... so, no. No offspring. Nothing like the terrible tail end of Legends which was so wonderfully shot dead. Ulicus is right about the mythic aspect.

Ulicus likes this.
  25. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I really wish Rey wasn't introduced on a desert planet. Should had been something far different....like an ice planet.....

Alpha-Red and SilentGuy66 like this.