main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Should Mace Windu return?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by TheNewEmpire, Aug 12, 2014.

?

Should Mace Windu return in Rebels?

1. Yes!

22.5%
  2. No!

67.6%
  3. Who is Mace Windy?

2.3%
  4. I still can't get over the fact that Mace returned as a giant trash Spider...

7.5%
  1. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    As others have said countless times in this thread, hate is what kept Maul alive....

Erkan12 and rumsmuggler like this.
  2. Erkan12

Erkan12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2013
    [​IMG]

3. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011

But Mace Windu is a mushroom cloud-laying mother****er, mother****er. Every time he sees a Sith, he's superfly TNT, he's the Guns of the Navarone!

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I picked the giant trash spider option for the LOLz, but my srs bsns answer is no. Enough dead character resurrection.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  5. ImNotAStarWarsFanboy

ImNotAStarWarsFanboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 25, 2011
    Doesn't Mace use Vaapad anyway? So he's flirted with the dark side already. And he was really on a mission when he went to Palpatine's office. Like, "I'm cutting this mother****er down if it's the last thing I do." It reminds me of Dave Filoni's thoughts at the end of the Umbara arc's featurette where he talks about what Mace was really planning to do. (starts at 23:35)

6. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
  7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Mace Winfield would be a great character combo.:D

8. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    I agree. I loved the fact he bested Palpatine. It made Anakin's betrayal even stronger. That was something unexpected for those who had watched the OT. That Palpatine was actually on the verge of defeat, but the Jedi were betrayed.

I concur - Mace Windu was maybe the second most senior and powerful Jedi in the entire Order after Yoda. He was more about raw power and a Jedi of action - more like Anakin than a patient Yoda or Obi Wan.

It would be cool if he survived. But imo, bringing him in Rebels would not be the best medium or way. It is highly unlikely a Jedi of his character would sit around, he would be angling to attack Palpatine as soon as he got his new hand. Unless he somehow met Yoda and agreed on the plan to bide their time and trust in the Skywalker children.But then he would either have to die (probably in a blaze of glory saving many innocents whilst sacrificing himself) or else be undercover and hidden till after ROTJ.

There is another option. PLEASE PLEASE NO EPISODE 7 spoilers here.

But Mace Windu could have survived as you described by guiding his fall. He would still have been weak, having been blasted by Force lightning, but alive. He could have been discovered by some beings friendly to the Jedi. Now at this point, the march on the Jedi Temple is about to happen. Whilst unconscious and say found by some Coruscanti industrialist and in his medical facility, the friend sees the horizon and the burning Temple in the night. He puts two and two together when he starts hearing rumors of a Jedi coup. He decides to get the Jedi Master off world.

This industrialist has a prototype (and it should be prototype given the time period) carbon freeze unit from the Outer Rim. He uses it to stablize the Jedi Master who has been healed with a new hand and in bacta to mend his lungs (lightning blasted) and freeze the Jedi to disguise him from scanners and smuggle him off world.

The friend tries to message other Jedi, and receives what he believes to be a Jedi coded signal suggesting a rendeavous point. However when he and his crew arrive in their ship, they are ambushed by Republic/Imperial ships who were baiting survivors. In the battle, the crew fight in space, but are overwhelmed. Desparate, they eject escape pods, including Windu in carbonite. All the pods, save Windu's are destroyed along with their ship. Windu's pod falls to the nearest ice world, left untouched and uninvestigated since it did not read any lifeforms (similar to C3P0 and R2D2 and similar stuff in TCW).

The friend had placed a Jedi beacon on it to transmit after a certain amount of time.

Years later, in Episode 8, the signal is discovered by the Jedi Order when they crash land on the planet. They discover a frozen Windu being worshipped by the natives (who don't space travel). Whilst fighting Imperials they unfreeze Windu and Windu joins the new Jedi Order?

Maybe, just maybe. Maybe?

AshiusX likes this.
  9. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I'm sure I've answered this post earlier, but I'm renewing my answer of I'm really just on the fence. Star Wars has already done the whole no body = not dead thing to death. Mas even mentions this in ROTS, that the clones' inability to find Yoda's body means he's not dead. Gregor gets caught up in a massive explosion and survives. Even in the microseries, Asajj falls down a big chasm and survives. Maul gets cut in half and falls down a pit and survives. People like to point out that his hatred allowed him to cheat death, but that in itself ignores ROTS dialogue in which Palpatine says that only one (Plagueis) had achieved the ability to cheat death. It was weird for TCW to use Maul as a second instance of someone achieving this, given that Anakin would have known about Maul, and Palpatine would have known that Anakin knew about Maul. Luke falls down a giant shaft in ESB and survives, which might not be as shocking since we as the viewer followed him the whole way down, but he fell a loooong way.

Luminara was on Kashyyyk when Order 66 was given, and somehow turns up alive whereas every other Jedi was killed without warning, and even Yoda was going to be killed, not apprehended. But since she wasn't shown to die, she was brought back "alive" (she was dead at the time of her "appearance" in Rebels, but made to survive Order 66).

Boba Fett survived the Sarlaac in the old EU, and even George Lucas said on the ROTJ commentary that for the special edition, he considered adding a scene. Filoni brought back Eeth Koth despite the EU at the time saying he was dead, because Filoni "didn't see him die."

At this point, it's pretty much become so standard that no corpse = not dead, that it really boils down to whether or not Palpatine sent someone outside to confirm that Mace was splattered on the street. I think it can kind of be confirmed that Mace likely was confirmed KIA, since Palpatine thought he had won until Yoda strolled into his office, which was a surprise. But there's enough wiggle room to say he didn't die.

Oh. And then there's Trench. Because he wasn't a ridiculous example or anything!

I'm so desensitized to characters surviving ridiculous scenarios. Spider-Maul was perhaps one of the hardest to swallow, but the team and Witwer did such a good job in my opinion with the character that I can look the other way.

If they had cool stories to tell with a "resurrected" Mace Windu, I won't rule out my ability to look the other way.

Unlike characters such as Gregor and Trench, whose "resurrections" seem more like cases of just bringing them back for the sake of bringing them back. I'm not sure why bringing back Gregor to depict him as crazy was a good direction.

Jedi Knight Fett and DurararaFTW like this.
  10. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #1 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013

Obiwan10 and Dinos4Ever like this.
  11. Jedi Master Scorpio

Jedi Master Scorpio Star Wars Television star 5 Staff Member Manager

Oct 24, 2015
    Ugh, no thanks. He can stay dead. I never liked him to begin with.

12. Xodax

Xodax Jedi Knight

Aug 24, 2015
    It would be cool to see him return as a force ghost but that's the only way we might see him again.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  13. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    Mace was in many ways what Anakin COULD have been- a martial, action-orientated Jedi whose struggle to fully overcome the temptation of the Dark Side only drives him to greatness. There's plenty of stories you could tell with TCW-era Mace, but his death is narratively and symbolically very important; Anakin's crossing the evil event horizon but also showing that Sidious will not be defeated by strength of arms. Bringing him back would be foolish and unnecessary. We know he will achieve nothing against Sidious and for all the ambivalence/inconsistency re: Ezra and Kanan, he MUST die by the OT timeline or else prove so utterly ineffectual Yoda doesn't even realise that Mace 'Bad Mother******' Windu lives on. Why bother? I would love more tales about Mace pre/during the Clone Wars but his story ends with his murder by the Sith.

AshiusX and DarthTalonx like this.
  14. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    So in other words, you are saying...

HE'S TOO DANGEROUS TO BE LEFT ALIVE!!!

AshiusX, DurararaFTW and DarthTalonx like this.
  15. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    He would be destined to fail, but so too are Ezra, Kanan, Ahsoka, etc. Just as the Republic had to inevitably lose TCW, because the end was a foregone conclusion as bookended by the films. These entire series are pointless in that regard, but it doesn't make them less entertaining to many.

Bringing Ahsoka back, Gregor, Rex, Maul, Echo, Fives, Trench, etc. Are all 100% useless. But people loved Maul once he was brought back, despite the seemingly glaring contradiction to ROTS. Filoni used a quote by Palpatine to justify the argument that Maul survived, despite Palpatine saying only one had achieved such power (and it wasn't Maul).

Now Mace of all Jedi could have survived that predicament, since nothing was inflicted upon him that weaker Jedi hadn't also survived.

Ahsoka has survived falls from ridiculous heights.

Nobody has died from getting their hand cut off in SW.

Nobody has died on screen from Force lightning, except for Vader (who was also mechanical).

Is there a symbolic point to his death? Not really. The betrayal was symbolic, regardless of whether or not he lives or dies. Anakin stopped the only chance to save the Jedi before Order 66, so regardless of whether he lived or died, the Jedi Order was crippled due to Anakin's betrayal.

Plus there were definite hints that Mace was giving into his anger. He went there to arrest Palpatine, was attacked, reasserted his attempt to arrest Palpatine, was attacked again, then all of a sudden decides he's going to end it because Palpatine controls the Senate and the courts. He no more controlled those things than he did a minute earlier.

We see a Jedi Master succumb to temptation, but there's no development of that because he dies two seconds later.

To retcon that death isn't necessary, Mace can't change anything, but neither could Maul. But IMO there would be interesting stories that could be told with his survival as was the case with Maul.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  16. Paparazzo

Paparazzo Jedi Master star 3

Jan 31, 2011

Does that article really say "Darth Vader is all about that"? [face_rofl]

Mace would just be another Jedi to kill off before the start of ANH/end of Rebels. He doesn't strike me as the type to just give up after being thrown out of a window anyway.

jakobitis89 likes this.
  17. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    For me though Mace wouldn't actually be all that interesting in Rebels really. Kanan is basically a Jedi ronin, Ezra has lots of potential but little training or focus. An Inquisitor is still a legitimate threat, Vader can (and did) wipe the floor with the pair of them pretty handily. Mace on the other hand would make kibble of both Inquisitors without slowing down; he is in the same power bracket as Sidious and Vader, i.e. orders of magnitude ahead of our heroes. If he goes hands-on the Ghost crew would be essentially a glorified cab service. If he doesn't then frankly, why bother having him at all? If you need a Jedi master to reminisce or give advice there's a sarky chap with a beard on Tattooine or a wrinkly Muppet chilling out in a swamp, both of whom A) have good, pre-established reason to NOT get involved and B) were not last seen dismembered, zapped by pure evil and tossed from several hundred feet up.

Mace has no business returning other than pure fan-service.

18. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    [face_not_talking] I don't think so :p

19. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    His name was mace wind and he went out a window!

Anyone get this reference?

20. MandoArtist

MandoArtist Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2015
    Mace was thrown out the Windu.

21. Darkslayer

Mar 26, 2013
    I've been thinking this for a while now, no way did George do that on accident [face_rofl]

DarthTalonx likes this.
  22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I totally concur on Maul. I think it ruined the power of that character from the films to bring him onto a TV show after TPM. It could have been a flashback, it could have even been a clone experiment of Maul who thought he was Maul. But the actual Maul should be dead in TPM. Unlike Luke, Windu, Obi Wan (in ROTS) who fell and were not mortally wounded (i.e. just the arm), Maul was cut in two and dead before his body parts even fell into the exhaust chamber.

Maul is dead, finnito. In the same way that Dooku was killed. The way Maul was sliced, he would have died of medical shock instantly. There is no way even the Chosen One would have survived that. It also cheapened his character and made it unnecessarily complicated.

Luke survived as he received medical attention from his rescuers (Leia and the Falcon). Anakin survived Mustafar only as he was stronger than others in the Force to hold out a little and the Emperor promptly arrived with medical aid and providing him with a life sustaining suit. Had Anakin been left on Mustafar, he would be dead. Obi Wan left him to die, unable to strike one last killing blow or push him into the lava.

Windu's death is ambiguous. He certainly has more chance than Maul. He was not cut in two, but fell - just as Obi Wan and Luke did. Now in this case, Windu lost a hand and was blasted by electricity no doubt taking a lot of his strength out of him. Palpatine in his overconfidence and sheer delight may have thought that was it (he did similarly with Luke in ROTS). Windu is also a powerful Jedi. But he could only survive at this point with aid. He might have managed with his last reserves of energy to slow his descent. Maybe someone could have helped him as Luke was helped in ESB.

An important point would be that Windu, a Jedi of action, would be unlikely to sit out the Galactic Civil War, or even the days immediately following ROTS. However if he were somehow in stasis - e.g. Carbon freeze, and unfrozen years later to star in the sequels e.g. Episodes 8 and 9, then I think that would be interesting. Very interesting indeed and certainly plausible. It would have to be done in a way where it explored his character, the new Jedi and fit into the story e.g. maybe a Jedi team crash lands on a planet and discovers his carbon freeze. Maybe he was jettisoned in an escape pod by his saviours as they ran into an Imperial trap for Jedi and then discovered by non space faring natives.

Please no spoilers for Episode 7 - NO SPOILERS!!

Good point. I thought the fight sequence was brilliant, him besting Palpatine and then Anakin betraying the Jedi Order. To think that Palpatine was on the verge of being annihilated made the tragedy of the Jedi even greater.

Good point. Though he has a case for surviving - Obi Wan and Luke also lived. And they like Windu were not sliced in two.

I also think Windu wouldn't be suitable in the days following ROTS, or in the Galactic Civil War unless he went out all lightsaber blazing to sacrifice himself to save others. He was a Jedi of action. Not to mention, his raw power, he'd probably wipe the floor with the Inquisitors.

I think he does have more of a case for surviving than Maul as mentioned above. To live though, I think he would have had to be saved, carbon frozen and then unfrozen in Star Wars Episode 8 (as yet untitled). That would give an interesting dynamic for him, a Jedi of old, interacting with the Jedi of new - e.g. their views on relationships, attachment, right and wrong, etc.

Yes, very true! Mace was a Jedi of action. Obi Wan is more like Yoda, Anakin more like Mace. I think those two would have gotten on well. In fact, it is a shame he wasn't at some point provided training from this Jedi Master who noted in AOTC his exceptional skills. I thought Mace besting Palpatine was brilliant, it made the betrayal of Anakin to the Jedi Order even more powerful and magnified the tragedy of the Jedi Order.

I don't think Mace could live in the Galactic Civil War period - he is not a Jedi to just sit it all out and retire. If he had lived:
    1. He would have to recover and then fight immediately following ROTS, maybe sacrificing himself to either protect the location of Yoda or saving others.
    2. He would use his last energy to slow his fall. Unconscious, he gets found by friends of the Jedi. They use bacta to heal him and repair his hand (e.g. how Luke was saved in ESB). Seeing what is happening to the Jedi Temple in the night, they smuggle him off world. Using experimental carbon freezing they freeze him to evade Republic scanners at the spacedock and using a Jedi beacon travel to a rendeavous point. But this turns out to be a trap by Imperial forces to lure Jedi survivors in a similar manner to the Temple return home signal (in ROTS). In desperation they fight, but are outgunned by Imperial ships. They jettison escape pods, incuding a frozen Windu in one of them). The Imperials destroy everything save the pods with no life signs. The frozen Windu falls to a nearby planet occupied by non space faring natives.

Years later in Star Wars Episode 8 (as yet untitled), a frozen Windu is found and unfrozen by the Jedi of the new order, who crash land on the planet. Then we see the dynamic between a Master of old and the new Jedi. E.g. views on attachment, when to act, relationship with the Republic etc.

NO SPOILERS FOR EPISODE 7 here please.

Maybe, but either way he would have to appear after Episode 6 ROTJ. He is not the type of Jedi to sit everything out right?

Valairy Scot and DurararaFTW like this.
  23. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    You don't need to worry about Episode 7 spoilers here. No need to post two times through your post :/

DarthTalonx likes this.
  24. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Oh ok, phew!! Looking forward to it, just want to really enjoy it you know?

25. Sandtrooper956

Sandtrooper956 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2015
    Yeah, I understand :) Looking forward to it as well.

DarthTalonx likes this.