main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Mara Jade exist in the nu Continuity?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Mar 16, 2017.

1. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    What is your view on this matter?

If she did return to the field of star wars, what changes should happen to her character/backstory?

The relationship she had with Luke in the old EU, how different do you want it to be in this new world?

So far their isn't a group of force sensitives working for the Empire called the "Emperor's Hand". Should that change?

There are alternate paths a nu Mara could take. Instead she could be a former Inquisitor. An even bigger change is not being force sensitive at all. Someone who is still heavily trained in the art of combat/spying, and even owns an old jedi blade. Join the ranks of the non-force users who are not horrible at using a lightsaber.

Or is it better to simply let her go? Her place being kept in the old world and not creating another version of her like they did with thrawn.

J7Luke likes this.
  2. Havoc123

Havoc123 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 26, 2013
    All those suggestions would basically be a redhead female character using the name 'Mara Jade'. Thrawn still 'kinda' fits, just barely, because his personality of a Sherlock-style Imperial Grand Admiral is still there. His personality is who he is, he wasn't changed much by the story. On the other hand Mara Jade without the events of Heir to the Empire isn't really Mara Jade.

3. Jid123Sheeve

Jid123Sheeve Guest

This blog might be to your liking http://clubjade.net/?p=72811

4. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Yes, if she's going to be Mara Jade.

A female assassin who works for the Emperor and will have some kind or relationship with Luke Skywalker.

It's kind of like how they reboot comics.

If they reboot Superman, I wouldn't mind if Lois Lane is suddenly African American or if she now runs an internet news blog, but she better be a investigative reporter who is destined to be Superman's love interest.

5. KikReask

KikReask Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 13, 2016
    Depends, I guess we can only tell when Episodes 8 & 9 are finished so we can tell if Luke had any relationships in the 30 years after Endor or if he kept to the old Jedi tradition of no attachments. I wouldn't want her to be a former inquisitor, especially with how easily picked off those characters were, she's better than that. I think her character and origin should remain the same to the comic 'By the Emperor's Hand' if she ever returns. In a way she's like Doctor Aphra, a flawed character who doesn't see it and keeps pushing forward so, I guess that's a sign they're experimenting with the idea of how to handle Mara Jade. Just, keep her a red head.

J7Luke likes this.
  6. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000
    Yes she should but as a proper Assassin not Judge Dredd who only goes after Bad people and who helps the Rebellion all the time who humilates Vader, whose is jealous off her [face_shame_on_you]

7. Valryk

Valryk Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 27, 2016
    Not really. The best you can do is to bring her back during Rebels but since the show is pretty tame it would be a waste. If she's back after Rotj then she'll play second fiddle to Rey and I don't want that either. And her death was stolen by Han. Just leave her in the EU.

Besides, Mara would have slapped Luke for running away for ''enlightenment'' and get him back on track.

SilentGuy66 likes this.
  8. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    At this time I do not believe Mara Jade should be brought into the Nu Continuity because as others have stated her story wouldn't translate well without a complete character overhaul and different backstory. Yes, her backstory would need some tweaking to help it fit better in the Nu Canon but I think in the end we would have a character that isn't recognizable as Mara Jade.

Also from a few comments Luke isn't/wasn't married so her relationship with Luke would have to be changed from wife to maybe friend or former flame.

9. robotical712

robotical712 Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 13, 2017
    I have to agree with those saying Mara Jade would be very difficult to bring into the new Canon. Her story was heavily tied with Luke's from the start and there's not a lot you can change before she becomes unrecognizable.

Lady_Misty likes this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    I don't see how Mara Jade's story needs to change until after Endor. So, including her in OT-era stories shouldn't be a problem.

Lord Sith Harloxzz and revan772 like this.
  11. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013

Thawn also doesn't have a relationship to the main characters that's on the same level as the one Mara Jade has with Luke Skywalker.

Nah, I don't want her. Loved her in the original EU, let's leave her there.

12. Zer0

Zer0 Jedi Master star 3

Sep 3, 2012
    It'd be nice if she did, but I don't think they would include her at this point.

13. sidv88

sidv88 Force Ghost star 5

Aug 22, 2005
    I'd love to see all the NJO members from the EU come back... But what is the marketing potential if they are recanonized just to meet their end from Kylo and the Knights of Ren? Unless Disney is planning on introducing a whole group of Kylo purge survivors (Kyle Katarn, Mara Jade, Jaden Korr, Tionne, Mander Zuma, etc), it's not clear what the point of recanonizing any NJO member would be.

I do however, favor Kyle Katarn being recanonized and having him be the sole survivor of Kylo's purge, just so we can get more Dark Forces/Jedi Knight games...

Kylun likes this.
  14. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    If she's back after ROTJ, she's probably in her early fifties.

A good choice for her since Disney can afford her.

[​IMG]

15. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Live action Mara Jade shouldn't be played by anyone but Shannon McRandle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jSarek and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  16. Gharlane

Gharlane Jedi Grand Master star 3

Dec 30, 2000
    That implies she should solely defined by her role in TTT and what came after chronologically? Frankly how would it not be her if she is introduced as an agent of the Emperor in the Rebels era or as a former Emperor's Hand working as a smuggler under Karrde in the post-ROTJ era and eventually siding with the Rebellion turned Republic. Or if they got Zahn to write her and he was able to maybe create a new niche for her character in NuEU.

revan772 likes this.
  17. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think Mara Jade needs to be Luke's WIFE in the new canon but a romance would be good.

18. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    No leave her character in peace.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  19. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    If that is what you call what Traviss and Del Rey did to her...

I would be fine with a broad strokes recanonization- Emperor's Hand, sent to kill luke, overcomes, relationship with Luke. If she was killed by the Knights of Ren, taking some of them down, it would fit well, Luke having lost his students and wife and going into exile.

20. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I want her in, I liked her character.

revan772 and Darth Caliban like this.
  21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Probably too much baggage would keep her out of canon for a while. But I don't see why they could not reinterpret the character. I think the baggage of Luke's wife would still creep up and cause a headache to Lucasfilm and fandom. Zahn created Mara for a specific purpose way back when, and being that things are different today, the character may no longer be warranted. Still, I don't see why they couldn't make her a Sith assassin or Inquisitor and just curb the direct romance much like they did between Kenobi and Ventress on TCW while still pastiching (or homaging) the established Dark Horse storyline.

22. godisawesome

godisawesome Skywalker Saga Undersheriff star 6 Staff Member Manager

Dec 14, 2010
    I'm kind of the opinion that if her most marketable traits are going to be used for a hypothetical SkyMom (Action Girl and Luke Skywalker's Permanent Significant Other), than Disney would be wise to either just rebuild the character for the New Expanded Universe, or at least see her as the measuring stick upon which her replacement will be measured. So, even though I know it's a disservice to the character, I think it depends on whether or not Luke is supposed to have a major love interest who may be Rey's mother. And the thing is I think Disney and the story group would have an easier time filling that role with Mara because a) the character's core concept is already proven to work while her IP has proven financial success as well, and b) I think any old Legends fans would cause less of a ruckus with an underwhelming repackaging that still says "Mara Jade" than they would for a underwhelming one not having the name. At least by keeping the name you can keep the debate focused on changes instead of replacements.

And I'll be honest, I think the current story group could *maybe* make a somewhat stronger version of the character by keeping the meat of Zahn's best work and trimming the fat of her appearances under other authors, and maybe also some of the moral protection fo her time as an Imperial that Zahn maybe gave a little too much to. And since the character is a proven success in books, comics and video games, I'd almost say Disney and the story group should really only reject her if they have a drastically opposed idea for SkyMom (if she exists), like First Order fanatic or light hearted fling. To me, Mara Jade is like Thrawn in that she comes with free advertising and successful traits, and still of higher quality than other already-replaced Legends characters like the Solo twins.

So here's an attempted remix of the character:
    - Jade is an Imperial Intelligence Agent during the GCW, where her primary job is undercover work against the Rebels and occasionally disobedient Imperials. And make no mistake, she helps evil this entire time; she's not a fanatic, but she would be a patriot for the Empire. Emperor's Hands, as they were, don't exist, but she is probably the most dangerous and highest ranking field agent Imperial Intelligence employs. Still, being undercover gives her a respect for the Rebels, and since military intelligence is just a bit less political than ISB, she gets to lie to herself a bit like Cienna Ree and Rae Sloane do.
    - She is assigned to kill Luke Skywalker immediately before ESB, and comes close, but she hesitates because it would cause collateral damage (one sign of her standards), and is called off by Vader's direct orders. She will end up blaming herself for hesitating and allowing Luke to win the Battle pf Endor.
    - She finally starts going a little vigilante after Endor, where's she's very shaken by the Death Star 2, like Ciena, but refocuses on punishing treacherous Imperials, and starts to get a good look at how few differences there sometimes are between "bad" Imperials and "good" ones. She also begins to see firsthand that the Rebels aren't just overly-idealistic anarchists, and it makes her choose to break from Imperial command after their infighting makes them look broken to her. She deserts the Empire, and after Jakku, is listed as a wanted woman by the New Republic and other political powers. She still feels the Empire under Palpatine was a good thing, but is looking for new work.
    - She goes to the Latitudes, that new political state in the GFFA run by pirates that sounds like an excellent version of the Wild West In Space, and does end up teaming up with Talon Karrde, since he's got standards. Some badguy who fits the new status quo starts threatening non-Republic worlds (imagine something like Warlord Zsinj by way of Cobra Commander) and Mara ends up experiencing adventures analogous to the Thrawn Trilogy alongside knight errant and wandering do-folder Luke Skywalker. By the by, I feel doing something like this could provide material for Star Wars action regardless of Mara Jade, but I think it would work fine for her.
    - Mara is very wary of Luke, since she's paranoid about being hunted down and regards him as an enemy, and they have an initially tense relationship, but of course they become fire-forged friends, he reveals she's got some Force powers, gives her some training, and you can tell they've got some romantic potential. She and Luke continue to meet as she has solo adventures that gradually make her confront her actions as an Imperial Agent and as he continues to research the Jedi and try and help people slipping through the cracks.
    - Mara and Luke eventually consummate their relationship, maybe forming a long term relationship, maybe not. Mara eventually gives birth to Rey, but soon starts hearing whispers from her old contacts of a formation in the Unknown Regions of old Imperials. She feels she has to investigate herself to make up for her past, drops Rey off for a short time on Jakku, heads to the Unknown Regions... And is immediately ambushed. I wouldn't have her killed but shipwrecked, since dead mothers are just as trite as anything else

I feel sow thing like that could work with the right writing.

23. Charlemagne19

Jul 30, 2000
    I don't think you need to start big. Just imagine her as a Imperial assassin Luke meets in a comic series.

If she's popular, she'll show up more.

24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    There's too much baggage what with the whole becoming the wife of Luke Skywalker thing. If they want to introduce an assassin type character who turns good, they can easily do so using a new inquisitor character.

25. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    I think it would be a good thing to bring her back once we've established where Luke's life has gone, specifically did he end up with a partner, did they have kids. They can easily bring Mara back without making her Luke's wife and it would be easier to do so once that's established because we'd know from the beginning that similarities aside this time things are different. If they did decide to go with her and Luke again then once Episode VIII is out they would be in a position to do so I'd imagine. She'd be another great female character to add to an already growing number in the new canon and just her background with the Empire would allow so many stories to be told. As for leaving the character 'in peace' I'd much rather they bring her back and tell new stories than leave her story's conclusion as the awful waste we ended up with in legends.