main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Should Mara Jade exist in the nu Continuity?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by StarWarsFan91, Mar 16, 2017.

1. jamminjedi23

jamminjedi23 Jedi Master star 5

Feb 19, 2015

Similar to Rae Sloane in Empire's End. "This is not my Empire. I want my Empire Back. I will rebuild my Empire." Lol. As I was reading Empire's End I was wondering if Wendig was using some of those things that Sloane was saying or thinking as a reference to the BBL people.

2. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    You do all understand that the way this conversation is going, it WILL devolve into yet another Legends vs. NuEU fight, incorporating all the usual suspects doing all their usual bullsheev. You REALIZE that, right?

MandaloreRex2015 likes this.
  3. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

True. Understood

4. Stymi

Stymi Force Ghost star 4

Jan 10, 2002
    IMO, the title of the thread went there and invited that from the get go.

Also...Bullsheev...Lol :)

sent from my Moto X-Wing

Daneira likes this.
  5. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    It would greatly please me for Mara to be brought into the new stories. I'm the sort for whom nothing will ever replace Zahn's original books, but I really enjoy seeing familiar things in the new films and shows.

As far as how and how, I think that her appearance and general backstory should be kept, and *some sort* of relationship with Luke. It doesn't have to be romantic, because that didn't come until years later in the older books. They had a yin-yang sort of dynamic in Heir to the Empire.

Ryus and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  6. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    Maybe it's because by the time I read the Thrawn trilogy I knew they would get together, but I definitely interpreted a bit of flirtation between them. Of course, that could always be played out like Obi-Wan and Ventress, who were constantly flirting even when they were trying to kill each other.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    It was there in TTT. Their first meeting is a rather miraculous coincidence that could be called destiny, and she saves his life. In the forest of Myrkr, the way she looks at him at times, studying him, seeing...something sweet, and almost kind....something new, and a bit alarming. She wonders why she didn't see it there before.

Slater, Ryus, Dante1120 and 5 others like this.
  8. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    I would imagine that Zahn did intentionally put some flirtation there between the two in the Thrawn Trilogy in much for the same reason why we see a lot of stories where the male leads have a female character that they either do romance or their are signs of a possible romance.

If Zahn wasn't asked to do a sequel to the Thrawn Trilogy though there likely would be a good chance that Luke would have stayed single in Legends as well as Lucasfilm was originally opposed to Zahn's proposal of Luke and Mara getting together.

9. Taalcon

Taalcon Chosen One star 4

Jul 12, 1998
    I see what you do did there.

Slater, Ryus, Lady_Misty and 3 others like this.
  10. Daneira

Daneira Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2016
    They were setting up Callista to be Luke's wife for awhile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011
    I'd rather she not. They've already taken enough of the EU that I liked and completely ruined it. I don't need something as important as Mara taken and ruined, as well. I assume she'd be ruined because she, to me, is who she was in the old EU. The Neo-EU has been setup so far to make a similar story for Mara very unlikely. I just don't trust Disney's handling of the IP so far.

I'm still really upset over the handling of the Witches of Dathomir. Mara would send me over the edge if they ruined her. Is this all in my ideal mental image? Sure, and that is what it is.

12. Taylore

Taylore Jedi Knight star 1

Mar 14, 2017
    Luke and Mara certainly did have a teasing/flirtatious quality to their relationship in her first-published books, and it was no surprise when they later united. That, at least, wasn't the sort of full-blown romance that would seem to go against the notion that Luke is largely solitary and Jedi-driven (which I'm not really married to myself, no pun intended, but which might make some sense storywise).

I'm also really, really upset about what they did to Dathomir in The Clone Wars. It is (was) my favorite planet/culture in all of Star Wars, and I still have a bad taste in my mouth about how they changed it. Please just make up something new if you aren't going to at least capture the spirit of an existing thing. But anyway...

That said, I'm a little more optimistic now about onscreen EU adaptions. And with Mara as with Thrawn, sheer popularity might protect some characters from being mangled too badly. At least I hope so.

Ryus and SpecForce Trooper like this.
  13. Riven_JTAC

Riven_JTAC Jedi Master star 4

Jun 28, 2011

Agreed as to the first count entirely. TCW took a good concept, immediately removed half of it (Light side witches), made the planet a wasteland, and twisted the Nightsisters into something much more weird and unpalatable. I still cling to my image of them from Courtship and later appearances.

And, fair point on the second count. Maybe Mara is "too big to fail," in a manner of speaking. Dathomir and the Witches were fascinating, but they were, admittedly, very marginal in the grand scheme of the EU. Mara was a megastar in the EU.

14. Darth Invictus

Darth Invictus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 8, 2016
    And who precisely is to blame for the degeneration of these threads?

These sort of threads usually by their very content generate lots of emotion and opinions-some popular and some near verboten in such an environment people easily take offense, passions get heated and resentments are allowed to bloom beneath the veil of civility and you end up with fights and occasionally worse.

That's precisely why I still stand by the idea of dividing the Lit board into two forums-canon lit and legends lit with an EU community third part. It would keep passions and resentments contained or allowed to exist in a more welcoming environment.

SpecForce Trooper likes this.
  15. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    When you look back on it though the Dathomir storylines turned out pretty well in TCW given the circumstances. The Dathomir storylines were developed by Katie Lucas who was only in her early twenties at the time and based on her dress and maneurisms during interviews on the TCW box set was going through a real Goth phase of her life.

I'm sure she had a lot of help but the Dathomir storyline was likely her idea and it was based upon some of her own personal interests.

Jedi Princess and Daneira like this.
  16. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    A Canon forum and Legends forum? That sounds great! I'm so tired of the never ending war going on in this forum. Is their some kind of petition around?

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  17. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    I advocated it nearly around the time I first joined the board, I got a mixed to no response from the mods. Though I imagine there are susceptible to popular pressure-petitions and the like.

Ackbar's Fishsticks likes this.
  18. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015
    Problem with creating an entire separate forum dedicated strictly to legends is that the majority of people who are only interested in legends don't post anymore and many of them probably wouldn't come back if they did start up a strictly legends forum.

Most of the current posters do like both however another problem comes in for legends. Little to nothing is coming out right now and hasn't been coming for close to three years now and there really isn't a great deal to talk about now and bringing up things that came out ten years ago can only stay interesting for so long.

There already is a thread dedicated to the only thing that is currently coming out in Legends and that is the MMO game.

Qel and Charlemagne19 like this.
  19. Darth_Duck

Darth_Duck Chosen One star 5

Oct 13, 2000
    I figure the problem separating the forum into legends/canon is that it's smart impossible to discuss the new stuff without "well, I the EU it worked this way..." popping up and it's usually pretty interesting.

Anywho, as far as Mara is concerned, if they can do it well, I'm all for it. I think there's plenty they can do with Mara without touching the "Luke's wife" stuff.
    What if Mara stayed with Karrde and took over his organization? Mara as this smuggler queen who helps her enemy-turned-friend Luke hunt down information on the old Jedi, on rumours of Force sensatives is something I'd be okay with. Give her and Luke a Guinan/Picard trust/loyalty/no bs vibe.

Charlemagne19 likes this.
  20. Charlemagne19

Charlemagne19 Chosen One star 8

Jul 30, 2000
    Or, again, most Legends fans like the new canon too.

And vice versa.

21. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Maybe she's working as a spy in the Rebel alliance, and we'll see a version of her, but if nothing this year then I don't expect her to reintroduced, it becomes too slim a chance.

22. SpecForce Trooper

SpecForce Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Jun 19, 2016
    Shira Brie for Canon!

Jedi Princess and Stymi like this.
  23. jamminjedi23

Feb 19, 2015

Yep. And besides there already is a legends forum out there.

http://starwarslegends.eu/forum/index.php

It's dead as a doornail now but that is because most of the people who made it are involved in those facebook pages. If people like Darth Invictus
    and Zeta1127 (who want to talk on a message board setting instead of facebook) go there and can find five or ten other people who want to talk on a message board setting about legends like they do then they could build a small little community that is strictly about legends.

24. Qel

Qel Jedi Master star 2

Jan 8, 2007
    Why should the community here be split in two because a minority of people can't accept the fact that people can be Star Wars fans and enjoy different parts of it or have different opinions to their own.

25. Darth Invictus

Aug 8, 2016
    A minority? How bout it splits so we don't have these fights. If it's split those enthusiastic for the Disney canon can discuss that to their heart's content, and Legends fans have well over a hundred novels and just as many comics to discuss before there dried out.

Anyone wishing to discuss both would be welcome to. It would clamp down on fights and bitterness and anyone looking to provoke trouble could be handled in a much less inflammatory environment.

Another idea is to split it into four-general novel/expanded universe-ideas, author interviews l, etc..., Canon-novels and comics, Legends-novels and comics, Community-fan clubs and games and so on.

I'm open to other suggestions.