main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Mark McGwire be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Archive: Census and Games' started by TheBoogieMan, Aug 6, 2006.

?

Should Mark McGwire be inducted into the Baseball Hall of Fame?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. Yes, on the first ballot

16.7%
  2. Yes, but after the first ballot

2.8%
  3. Yes, but only by the veteran's committee

2.8%
  4. Yes, unless steroid use is proven

19.4%
  5. Yes, but with an asterix

2.8%
  6. No

38.9%
  7. I have no opinion

16.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    Poll suggestion by yankee8255 and DarthIntegral.

2. Juke Skywalker

Juke Skywalker Force Ghost star 5

Mar 27, 2004
    Yes. He's never tested positive and if 3/4 of the league were on performance enhancers (As Conseco claims), then the playing field was still even... From a certain point of view.
    :(

3. Latorski

Latorski Jedi Master star 4

Dec 14, 2002
    yes, i don't know if he used or not, but he's innocent until proven guilty, has never had a positive test and helped save baseball in the late 90s

4. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    I have no opinion. I don't really care if he gets in our not.

5. padawanskywalker

padawanskywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 16, 2003
    Yes, unless steroid use is proven. His numbers are definitely HOF worthy, but if it's proven that he used steroids, then I'll say no.

6. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    It doesn't matter to me.

7. Drac39

Drac39 Force Ghost star 6

Jul 9, 2002
    Yes he should be in. He brought a lot of interest back to Baseball and brought the ratings sky high. The steroid issue will remain a ? mark with him because there's no way of finding out now.

Sammy Sosa should get in too,and this is coming from a Cub fan who still holds a grudge for what he did at the end of the 2004 season.

8. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    I voted no. It's a tough call, but his performance in front of congress was a disgrace.

9. Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa

Smuggler-of-Mos-Espa Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 23, 2002
    No. He's not nearly as deserving as most inductees.

10. SueAsideRide

SueAsideRide Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 5, 2000
    Yes, unless steroid use is proven.

I don't care what anyone says... most of those homers in his record-breaking season weren't exactly fence-scrapers, but the "WAY outta there" variety. Generally speaking, even if he was on the juice, most of those shots would have still been home runs. And anyway, if steroid use is so rampant, why doesn't everybody have a 60 home run season?

Copy this into the Barry Bonds poll too.

11. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    No. His guilt is implied. I think he cheated the system, and in all honesty, we should still have Roger Maris as the record holder of Homeruns. He consistently cheated the system as well throughout his career. And, he wasn't exactly a model of consistency in his Oakland days.

If you want further proof, read Rob Neyer's fantastic article on ESPN Insider regarding this issue.

12. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Well put, Padawan. Could you provide a link to the Neyer article? Or a copy, since not everyone has access to ESPN Insider?

13. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003
    Right now I'd say yes. Whether guilt is implied or not, you can't condemn a man with no evidence to back you up. I think he used steroids. Unfortunately no one here can say that they know he used steroids, and if they do say it... well... they're liars. :p

Anyway, my point is, he has HoF numbers so until someone proves he's done something wrong, he should be in the HoF.

14. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    Nah, I can't, I don't wanna deal with the potential legal ramifications if I were to copy it over here. Sorry. But Neyer pretty much talked with 100 members of the Baseball Hall of Fame voting committee, and about two-thirds of them say they wouldnt ever vote for him.

15. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002
    Yes, unless steroid use is proven

16. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    I saw th e intro to that atrticle at espn.com, it's actually what gave me the idea for the poll! No problem about not pasting the article. Was mainly curious if it was a different one than the one I had seen.

As for the subject of proof of steroid use, I would submit that his pathetic performance before congress (how many times can you repeat the phrase 'I'm not here to talk about the past') is enough to bar him alone.

17. Armenian_Jedi

Armenian_Jedi Force Ghost star 7

Mar 14, 2003

18. Zaz

Zaz Jedi Knight star 9

Oct 11, 1998
    No.

19. Rouge77

Rouge77 Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2005
    I have no opinion on this.

20. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
  21. Onoto

Onoto Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 7, 2004
    Those who used steroids should never be allowed into Cooperstown with the honest players. If they built a separate wing for the players of this era, that'd be one thing, but until that day, No.

22. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    How do you decide for sure who would be in this separate wing? You can't just send everyone over, because not everyone from that used. Greg Maddux for example. One of the top pitchers in history, and pitched during the height of the steroid era, and more then likely, never touched the stuff. You want to shun him over to this other wing? Maddox is more then deserving of being a first ballot Hall of Famer.

McGwire never tested positive, and as bad as he looked before congress, he was not an active MLB player at the time, so who cares? I would vote for him.

23. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I'd say no.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.