main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Darth Maul in Star Wars Rebels

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by StarWarsFan91, May 22, 2013.

1. HegoDamask

HegoDamask Jedi Knight star 2

Jul 18, 2013
    It's so far been established that the Inquisitors are the Empire's anti-Jedi task force. While we have only seen one Inquisitor so far, I believe that it is plausible that Maul may be among their ranks; Especially given the way his story ended in the Clone Wars. After years of torture and reconditioning, Palpatine could have manipulated him enough to have him repurposed to aid in the hunt for the Jedi survivors.

Do you think we'll see Maul as an Inquisitor? Will he be playing a different role? Or do you think he won't show up at all?

whostheBossk likes this.
  2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    He will show up but he will not be working with the empire.

3. Chris0013

Chris0013 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2014
    This...after how it was left with the Mandalorian arc and teh SoD comic...I really see no way that Maul goes back to Palpatine in any way

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  4. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    I think we have a thread that can fit this purpose but if not this will be fun to discuss.

5. Sudooku

Sudooku Jedi Master star 4

May 31, 2014
    Sidious killed Maul's brother Savage which dealt a real emotional blow to Maul. Compassion is not a Jedi's weakness only. And I doubt that Maul will renounce to his title of a Darth so easily in favor of Vader. Sidious himself bestowed this title upon Maul. Thus it needs a ceremony to strip him of this Title again. Is there any precedence for such in Sith-history? Sidious humiliated Maul so many times. I can't imagine Maul will undergo voluntarily such a crushing defeat again while serving Sidious and the "Jedi-betrayer" Vader in a lower rank than he occupied before.

Marco1907 likes this.
  6. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Kanan or Ezra would not stand a fighting chance against Maul.

7. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    I agree wholeheartedly on that.

8. Mother_Talzin

Mother_Talzin Jedi Master star 4

Aug 23, 2014
    Yeah, he's stronger than them - but more importantly, he has no reason to go up against a rebel Jedi. I cant imagine Maul ever serving the Empire, considering he wants Sidious dead.

Marco1907 likes this.
  9. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    He built up the Shadow Collective which was an amalgamation of professional soldiers, mercenaries and plus a hidden white collar organized crime element which gave him an affluence of resources that rivaled the Republic and Separatists. Sidious could not force through torture Maul into handing over his syndicate so sought to destroying or splitting up the Collective at the end of SOD despite that Maul was not killed , considered him no longer a rival for his grand plan of total control of the galaxy. The lack of killing Maul, misguided belief in thinking Talzin was the leader of the Shadow Collective, the lack of completely destroying the Shadow Collective, Black Sun or Pykes , the lack of destroying all the Jedi, lack of eliminating Republic Loyalists, and lack of eventually destroying the Rebel Alliance all factor in for civil war without end. Sidious has powerful enemies that kept his empire and him struggling for domination which he never quite obtained, came close, but did not obtain it.

10. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012

I keep thinking that maybe Palpy will subdue Maul and use him again somehow. but I do like the idea that Maul has been rebuilding his army as seen in SoD and he'll be another threat to emerge and our Rebels get caught up in the middle. Hell, maybe Maul will be all like "hey, I can join you!" and then he turns out to be even too deadly to join the Rebels because his methods and his warriors are too brutal. That could be a fun idea.

Anyway, I think Maul is too big of a hanging piece of TWC canon to completely never mention again. He could be used but probably not even this season.

CoolyFett likes this.
  11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    it actually makes you wonder if in the Old Old republic the jedi used lightsabers like that before going to the modern ones.

12. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Loose ends from Clone Wars?

13. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    So what was Mauls actual fate in Sons of Dathomir?

14. Darth Doop

Darth Doop Jedi Master star 4

Apr 24, 2014
    Nothing. He's still alive.

15. Kentoa

Kentoa Jedi Master star 4

Oct 2, 2014
    Oh I thought Palpatine might of cut his tie to the force or something. Well that's disappointing.

16. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Give us the final season of TCW to finish the story of Maul. Rebels would weaken his character because Maul will only be brought back so Vader can kill him.

17. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    If he jumped into Rebels without a defined purpose and insufficient time to unravel his story, it would dilute the character. The CW series made him far more interesting, and a Rebels episode or even an arc probably wouldn't do him justice.

18. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Plus, I think Rebels animation would make Maul less sinister.

19. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I think Mauls fate should be left for the Obi-Wan spin off movie(s).

Not sure of Mauls view on the Sith anymore. In TPM he was 100% all in. In TCW it didn't seem like he was practicing that much. Maybe he will seek out a new apprentice.

20. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    I believe Maul considers himself a Sith during the CW series - I am paraphrasing but he said he is a true Lord of the Sith, while others like Dooku are pretenders. This mindset likely continues after SoD and into his next storyline. Sidious said that he is no longer his apprentice, so does that nullify his claim? Its certainly up for debate, as I don't think the Rule of Two was upheld a number of times.

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    It would be interesting to see but I doubt it'd happen. Although I was upset they didn't show Maul's fate in TCW.

22. DANNASUK

Nov 1, 2012
    Maul should've died, along with Savage, in the duel against Sidious.

23. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Well they can do ancient Sith Lords contact Maul, where he goes to Morraband and renews his Sith vows, or they can do something where he stumbles upon Jinn's ghost and turns over a new leaf. Lucas/Lucasfilm brought Maul back to tell a story and one point nearly had his own video game which wouldve spanned a large time frame but he was also taking down Sidious' Imperials along with Death Watch, so thats interesting especially during the years that game was in (pre)production.

I would sooner get the impression he will make peace with Kenobi as he has nothing left to prove as he defeated Kenobi in the toons and never sought to kill him in the first place we learn, so there may of already been a hidden element of respect as well as revenge. He chose not to fight him in SOD but instead took on Windu and Secura. And his Mandalorians broke up the fight where it was prolonged enough for him to cut them down. He didnt kill a Jedi in SOD which is different from TCW where he and Savage were cutting through Jedi and wanted to take them on as if he was still Sith brainwashed . He's a more powerful warrior in SOD and a even greater threat by the end, because now its personal, they killed his mother before all of that it was just about his Sith legacy and lower body loss, selfish desires. But now he knows what love is, he felt some of it with Savage dying and again his bond with his mother and her him, which was something he never understood nor cared what it was about in the past. Now he knows that plus what is to be selfless and what self sacrifice which are concepts unknown or despised by a raised since childhood Sith apprentice like Maul. Maul was little more than a trained attack dog since childhood. Now Vader suffers under the lease of Sidious and perhaps Tarkin as well.

Seems they wanted a journey of Maul, he changes in each interconnected arc, like maturing stages. Only by going beyond revenge can he become a hero , the selfishness of Sith would always prevent him from things like honor, valor, loyalty and love. Like his mother went beyond revenge, by refusing to drain her son's lifeforce so she could enact revenge and smite her/their enemies and refusing to let him be killed by numerically superior enemy forces and giving her life. His mother sacrificing herself for him was an almost reflection of Kenobi's sacrifice for Luke, their destiny is greater and more important plus they did it out've love. Maul never chose the darkside, it was chosen for him. That brief moment of hesitation from Maul when Kenobi tried bring him towards the light could be a clue he become a anti-hero like Venom back in the early to mid 1990's. Lucas bringing him back and to have a great destiny, the hints of war without end and Sidious unable to form a stable power base cause all these forces are opposing him. I think it could mean Maul will be on his way to becoming an Anakin-like figure but perhaps in reverse. Talzin is very ancient and she is connected to Mortis or Maul connected to the Son of Mortis even, then there is every reason to suspect a much grander design ahead.

SOD Maul is also different from what we saw in toons, Maul is not in the rear scheming or obsessed about Kenobi or Jedi- but at the front lines leading armies and taking on massive opposing armies like an Alexander The Great like warrior-king of old, he's almost like a Jedi general leading clones into battle on land or in space. He's not interested that much in the Jedi , he's turned all is focus upon destroying the Sith of Sidious and his his forces . He did quite quell within a small timeframe and time setting and constraints of the movies after escaping and know Sidious' was using the escape , he was able to turn the tide. He goes beyond being a Sidious' Sith apprentice by SOD. His chains are finally broken once whatever hidden programing of fear that Sidious instilled was wiped away by Sidious himself at end of Lawless. There was clarity and his true purpose awakened like and unremembered dream long forgotten or repressed. The opening of SOD Maul opening mocks and threatens Sidious, "there is purpose for everything in the galaxy and a way to destroy it". He's no longer bound by Sidious indoctrinated and training, during Lawless there was still some vestiges of boy Maul and apprentice hoping to gain favor with his former master. Maul woke up from the spell after that like Indiana Jones did from Mola Ram's potion spell. He only lost when he followed Sidious, same like Tyranus and also like Anakin/Vader they all become cut up and discarded. Sidious' rule was one of deceit & treachery and at the end he dumps you for someone else. He has no intention of vacating his place as Sith Master and looks to cheat death whether by manipulating midiclorians and prolong his own life/cheat death or transferring his essence into a clone body like in the Dark Empire series from the 1990's.

It is unknown if Talzin is dead, as she seems to have been dead before and her body turned to stone and the green smoke once more fled, she alluded to being immortal or something very close. In Star Wars characters do not often stay dead. But it is possible she will guide Maul in spirit form like Kenobi which seemed to have been doing in SOD.

The universe is big, he will likely be given his own movie and its doubtful he'd be "killed off" again, if that was gonna happen it wouldve happened during Lawless but Lucas/Lucasfilm has his own destiny to fulfill in the Star Wars saga like Ezra and Kanan now have theirs.

DanielUK and Darth_Pevra like this.
  24. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    While I don't agree with everything you say, I think that Maul could make a very interesting antihero figure. Like you said, he is now in a position where he loathes the Empire and Palpatine especially. Therefore I could see him working together with the rebels, Ventress, possibly even Ahsoka! But I don't think he could turn full-fledged hero easily. Maul is still not adverse to killing and only cares about those that are close to him. He wouldn't be someone who sacrifices himself for innocents like Jedi would.

25. Mother_Talzin

Aug 23, 2014
    Had that happened, we would have never seen the content from Son of Dathomir, which revealed a number of things about Maul, Talzin, and Sidious. The SoD arc / comics were pretty vital in understanding why the Nightsisters / Nightbrothers were involved in all these conflicts. I'm glad Maul survived Season 5 and 6 - his story should definitely continue.

The Shadow Emperor likes this.