Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby, Oct 13, 2010.

?

Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2010.
No way, I like reading weekly MSUs. 13 vote(s) 16.9%
Yes, weekly updates are unnecessary. Every two weeks, or even once a month is good enough. 19 vote(s) 24.7%
Yes, they are completely useless. Get rid of them entirely and stick to announcing things in separat 45 vote(s) 58.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
  1. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    (Please post in this thread to acknowledge that you have voted or your vote will not count.)

As you can tell from the poll, we the Mod Squad feel a change is necessary in the way we do Mod Squad Updates. If one thing has become obvious to us over the last year or two, it's that there just isn't weekly news to report anymore. In the last six months or so, we've basically resorted to scrambling and digging to come up with any information that might be newsworthy. Gone are the days when policies were discussed and formulated on a regular basis. After 12 years, we've pretty much come to a point where all the rules and policies are in place and we're not blazing any new trails.

So when you think about it, what are MSUs really accomplishing these days? MSUs tell you about new moderators or what current mods are away or stepping down, but we already announce these things in the appropriate Comms threads. MSUs tell you about any new policies that are finalized, but these are also usually announced in their own Comms threads. MSUs tell you about updates on the move, but we already have two Comms threads for that as well. And if you ever wondered to yourself, "Hey, were problem users discussed this week?" The answer is always yes.

Mod Squad has been discussing this for a few days now, and we've decided that it would be a good idea to see if the rest of the community agrees with us. What we're thinking is that the current system isn't offering anything of great value to the users that isn't already being announced independently.

Originally I asked MS if changing the frequency of MSUs was a good idea, but after a lot of feedback, it seems it might make more sense to drop MSUs entirely. Announcements that need to be made can be made here in Comms, the Mods Away thread is right there at the top of the board, and if anyone is wondering if we're still talking about some issue that came up in Comms, that can be discussed in the appropriate thread.

As far as the Around the Boards segment is concerned, it might make more sense to adopt a permanent ATB thread in Comms that can be updated by mods (or users) as things they think are noteworthy come up.

So what do you think? Questions? Ideas? Suggestions?
  2. Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    I'm actually in favor of dropping them entirely and announcing things in Comms and specific forums when needed. The point of MSU's in the past was to keep the users informed of MS goings on and allow everyone to see what we were discussing on a weekly basis. It was critical at a time where relationships between the MS and users were less than cordial. I think we're well past those days and I feel like we're just cranking MSU's out for the heck of it even when there's nothing happening in terms of important discussions.

That said, I'm totally open to what the users want and will defer to them since the purpose of the MSU's are for the users. I would honestly like to see at least bi-weekly or monthly since weekly really isn't necessary. We didn't put one out last week and no one even asked about it.

My thoughts.
  3. Darth Tunes SfC Part III Commissioner

Game Host
    star 10
    They're a nice feature to read here in Comms (particularly when there are themed updated), but the usefulness of having them every week has passed. Every 2 weeks or once every month is a very, very good idea.

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:
  4. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I think once a month would be fine.
  5. Havac Former Moderator

star 7
    They're long past their usefulness.
  6. Grimby Technical Consultant

Administrator
    star 7
    Today's MSU is actually the first one in three weeks, FYI.
  7. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    I'll admit I haven't been reading them for quite some time but if it's getting to the point where there isn't enough news to report then I'm okay with new threads as needed.
  8. Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus

star 7
    My initial thought when Grimby posted the MS thread was that every two weeks was plenty. However, I'm now of the opinion that a dedicated ATB thread that can be constantly updated as needed would be far more effective. As for the MSU portion of the updates... there really isn't anything in those that isn't posted elsewhere in Comms anyway. Mods away? See the thread stickied in here. Promotions get their own threads. Any other news ends up in another thread, whether it be about the move or another discussion. Ok, so "problem users were discussed" isn't mentioned specifically elsewhere... but that's something that always goes on, and we can't say any details about it anyway.

Going back to the ATB for a moment, I would envision it as a thread where the first post is kept updated, either by the mod updating it or by the Comms admin for any updates posted by regular users. It would not be a locked thread, however, like some other first-post-update threads, because I think it would be good for people to be able to add their goings-on to the end. There could even be some discussion on general information about items mentioned in the thread.
  9. GrandAdmiralJello Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque

Manager
    star 10
    Reposting--GASP--from MS: I never saw much of a use for MSUs either as a user or as a mod. If something happened, it would be announced by itself--or I would hear about it somehow anyway. Communication and transparency is good... when there's something to communicate. Nothing much really happens, as evidenced by how often we have to look for things to put in it.

Personally, I'd prefer something less formalized. Instead of ATBs, perhaps a general thread where mods in specific forums would go individually and post news and things: almost like a mix of advertising and news. For MSUs, we post them as something reportable comes up.
  10. Skiara ~• Manager WNU •~ ~• RSA FFC •~

Manager
    star 10
    After thinking about it for a bit, I think every solution has its advantage - and in the end, if something important happens, we have the header-news (currently "update email adress") to inform everyone. And for smaller things we can do MSU.

For whatever solution we go, if it doesn't work, we can always change it. :)
  11. ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Grand Master

star 8
  12. LAJ_FETT Tech Admin and Collecting/Games Mod

Administrator
    star 9
    Ideally I'd like them weekly but I don't think the amount of news justifies that. It might when we actually announce a board move date though. I'd go for every two weeks or so at this point.
  13. The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus

star 6
    A permanent ATB thread seems like it would be a more than sufficient replacement, to me. Anything of genuine significance that didn't belong there would probably deserve and get its own thread, anyways.
  14. DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I like option #3 the most - dedicated ATB thread and announcements as and when they're necessary.
  15. Bri_Windstar Force Ghost

star 4
    Voted to get rid of them completely.
  16. Darth McClain Arena Manager Emeritus

star 6
    I'd be inclined to make them once a month, and if something big comes up that needs to be addressed, just make thread related to that.
  17. Sith-Lord-Gunray Ex-Mod

star 7
    Acknowledge me, for I have voted.
  18. Trika_Kenobi Force Ghost

star 6
    I used to always like seeing the nice, full updates around here, but now I either don't really read them since I know there's nothing in there or I open it on up just to get a chuckle out of how you folks were scrambling to put together something just for the sake of a weekly thread. :p

That said, I think an ATB thread for updating would be a good idea.
  19. JoinTheSchwarz Comms Admin & Community Manager

Administrator
    star 8
    I vote we stop doing regular MSUs. They're nothing but an useless chore.

Alternatively, we could sticky a thread called "Problem users were discussed".
  20. FatBurt Force Ghost

star 5
    Once a month is sufficient any other urgent updates can be added on an ad hoc basis
  21. Morgaine Ex-Manager

star 6
    Once a month sounds good to me. I agree that there doesn't seem to be enough material for weekly updates anymore, but I for one still like reading the updates. It's a good reminder that you're still out there doing something, I guess. ;)
  22. Jedi Gunny Yahtzee Host

Game Host
    star 9
    I actually like having weekly MS updates. It gives me an idea of what's going on every week, and if there is anything I might have missed on previous visits that I would like to look into further. However, I'm also fine with bi-weekly updates. A month is too long, however.
  23. HanSolo29 Manager Emeritus + Official Star Wars Artist

star 6
    Same here.

There was a time when MSUs used to be informative and useful to have every week, but there just isn't enough going on to warrant them anymore. I think JointheSchwarz said it best - they are nothing but a useless chore. What's the point in putting thought and effort into them if no one is going to read them anyway?

A Comms thread can sum up any major announcement that comes along and ATB can stay since it's always good to know what's going on in other forums.
  24. Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One

star 8
    Can't we just get rid of Comms altogether? O:)
  25. Spider-Fan Force Ghost

star 4
    I am generally in favour of them, I like that they keep me up to date on what's going on, since I am not always around anymore and often miss stuff and it provides a single summary of everything (rather then scouring through several different threads or announcements and their endless discussion for the update), but I can understand that the amount of weekly news may not necessitate weekly updates.
Moderators: JoinTheSchwarz, LAJ_FETT, Ramza
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.