main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 13, 2010.

?

Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2010.
  1. No way, I like reading weekly MSUs.

16.9%
  2. Yes, weekly updates are unnecessary. Every two weeks, or even once a month is good enough.

24.7%
  3. Yes, they are completely useless. Get rid of them entirely and stick to announcing things in separat

58.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I voted for Option 3. The MSUs are just repeating info that's quite easily found in other threads here (and Comms is slow-moving enough that threads stick around on the 1st page for ages so they're hard to miss).

I also like the idea of a dedicated 'Around the Boards' thread that can be updated regularly. :)

2. AmazingB

AmazingB Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm actually in favor of dropping them entirely and announcing things in Comms and specific forums when needed.

This is probably the best idea. Not much of significance happens these days and when it does, it quickly outgrows the update thread anyway.

Amazing.

3. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    Drop them. They've been unnecessary for years.

4. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    As long as we're going to be getting the info through other threads, I don't see any reason for them to continue.

5. Cem_Fel

Cem_Fel Jedi Master star 4

Mar 14, 2006
    Same here :)

6. Tyi-Maet_Nefer

Tyi-Maet_Nefer Jedi Master star 6

Jun 17, 2005
    I agree with Steph who is in agreeance with Schwarz and Xan.

Most of the comms threads on the first page are MSUs. There are less threads about issues then there are threads telling you about the issues.

And that's a nod to the running of the JCF these days and of course its smaller traffic. Well done to all involved; keep this relaxed place running and you have one user here who will always stick around. Thanks!

7. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    I'd drop them completely. As for the ATB's, if you find yourself scrambling for info to put in that, I'd go to totally announcing stuff in separate threads.

8. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Voted for drop them entirely.

9. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    I voted for keep them, as it's a good way for the admin of seeing who is paying attention in MS and who isn't

10. darth_nemisis

darth_nemisis Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 15, 2004
    While I don't think a weekly MSU is necessary, I do believe an update is a good idea. I like the idea of once a month. It's nice to have all the updates of the entire forum placed into one convenient location.

11. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I voted to stop them entirely.

12. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Drop them.

13. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I believe reducing them to once a month, or to whenever you have a decent amount of news to share would be a good way to continue having them. Perhaps consider making them seasonal? Example: One report at the end of summer, or Winter, etc...

14. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    I can't help but notice that there are 52 votes, and 37 posts in this thread. Is it time to bring out more socks to vote, since it's apparently already being done?

15. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    I originally suggested monthly MSUs in Mod Squad, but the more I think about it, the more I think we should just drop them entirely (and I voted as such).

Think about it: if something happens that warrants a mention in an MSU, and we're only putting those out once a month, you could be waiting thirty days to hear about it. That's not effective. If it's that news worthy (policy change, promotion, stepping down of a mod, etc) it will be mentioned in another thread anyways, so what's the point of an MSU, except to help those too lazy to scroll down and read thread titles?

16. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    If you want your socks' votes to get ignored, go ahead. It's your time, after all.

17. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Really, more attention will be paid to the comments here than the strict numbers of the voting tool. So if one option were to get a ton of votes but minimal support in the thread, then we would view it as having little support, and the votes likely coming from socks. That's why Grimby put the comment about posting in the OP.

18. Champion of the Force

Champion of the Force Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 27, 1999
    I did a very rough count of votes-by-posts, and came up with the following tally:

#1: 2 votes
    #2: 8 votes
    #3 21 votes

Admittedly it's a bit tricky as some posters were a tad vague in their responses (or in the case of Gunray, didn't even say which way they actually voted :p).

If there are socks in play, they seem to be fairly well spread throughout the 3 options.

19. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Voted to drop them entirely.

20. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not requiring that people post what they voted for (which is the exact same thing we do for mod votes in MS), just to post that you have voted so we actually count your vote when the final tally is done. As Rogue said, we'll pay more attention to the discussion than the poll results.

By my count at the time of this post, there were 53 total votes in the poll and 38 posters who acknowledged their vote. Of those, 24 support dropping MSUs, 11 support changing their frequency, 2 support keeping things the way they are, and 1 person did not reveal their position. That makes 15 votes that will not be counted.

21. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Where will those votes be taken off?

22. Juliet316

Juliet316 37X Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    I voted no. I like reading these. Their fun!

23. Bri_Windstar

Bri_Windstar Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Last I checked, MSUs were supposed to be informative above anything, with fun and silliness being an added bonus. They've been neither for a very long time.

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Looking at the tally of who voted for what based on the discussion, it appears a few from each option, most of them coming from option 1.

25. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.