main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MS Update Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Oct 13, 2010.

?

Should Mod Squad Stop Doing Weekly MSUs?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2010.
  1. No way, I like reading weekly MSUs.

16.9%
  2. Yes, weekly updates are unnecessary. Every two weeks, or even once a month is good enough.

24.7%
  3. Yes, they are completely useless. Get rid of them entirely and stick to announcing things in separat

58.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
  2. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    MSUs must be destroyed.

Seriously though they're pointless.

3. Jada

Jada Jedi Master star 6

Apr 20, 2006
    I wouldn't mind once a month and make announcements for anything dire in the JC/FF world.

4. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    i voted to get rid of them entirely and without remorse.

5. G-FETT

G-FETT Chosen One star 7

Aug 10, 2001
    Voted to get rid.

However, will someone promise they'll be brought back when George starts making the new Trilogy and we increase our traffic?[face_cowboy]

Will we have a thread posted for mod departures? I like to keep track of who's stepping down.

6. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    This is one of the many reasons I like the updates.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    We're currently discussing possibilities on that front right now - such as a dedicated thread for when mods step down (as promotions get their own threads), general thread for any minor announcements, or another option. Nothing is decided on that, however.

8. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    Option 4: Delete Comms

9. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    I voted for monthly/yada yada yada option. But I really don't see the point if there is nothing to say. But then again if this place gets more traffic due to other future Star Wars projects then who knows.

10. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I voted for the biweekly or monthly option. I appreciate being able to read them, and I think they still represent something just as important as they did years ago from the standpoint of mod squad transparency and public relations.

That said, I know there isn't as much content as there once was (partially because the boards don't get as much traffic as they used to, but also partially because my smart-ass generation of moderators and all of our "initiatives" and high-level strategies for the JC and ensuing long-winded discussions and focus groups have gone the way of the dodo :p ). People's time is valuable, and if it's a struggle for the mod assigned to post the update to come up with something to say, maybe it's better to cut the frequency of the updates.

11. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    [face_flag]

12. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Also because "your generation of mods" already covered most topics. Instead of needing to create policies, now its more a matter of "decisions and precedents were set years ago and we're just keeping it going" (for the most part, at least).

13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Let's have a focus group to decide this.

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I'm appointing Everton to the Advisory Council to this Focus Group.

15. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Will they want titles? Or colors? What will be the purpose of this 'Advisory Council'?

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

17. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    With a grim sense of responsibility, I accept the appointment. I demand a fleet of limousines to transport me to and from the Advisory Council Headquarters (which no doubt, are already under construction). In the unlikely event of anything approaching a decision being made during the course of the Focus Group, I shall require a diamond encrusted gavel (which I shall christen, Thadeus). Thadeus will strike down upon the grave of uncertainty wherever it is is dug - this is of course, provided suitable insurance can be arranged. Once I have all these things, I will begin the process of appointing nobody else to positions of great power in the organization. This will ensure corporate infallibility and low staff turnover, and result in a healthy profit margin. Once the Advisory Council has been in operation for a sufficient amount of time to become irrelevant to modern day practices and therefore controversial amongst the plebeians - which should not be long - I will take early retirement and reminisce about my former office (including the fabled ivory writing desk and my late servant Panda bear 'Crompton').

18. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    lol, was there really a purpose for the previous ones? :p

19. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    Isn't it going to hurt when you step down from a moving limousine halfway to the HQ on your first day?

EDIT: also, voted to get rid.

20. Vertical

Vertical Former Head Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 6, 1999
    It's the end of an era.

21. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    If you guys aren't really doing stuff any more, then there's no need to report that to us every week / fortnight / month.

22. Everton

Jul 18, 2003
    You speak as if they should be doing stuff.

23. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    And I'll bet everyone appointed to this "Advisory Council" will end up being a mod. [face_plain] Conspiracy!

24. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I wouldn't really say we aren't doing stuff. We certainly are. It's just that most of the stuff that happens in MS these days pertains to dealing with problem users, mods who will be away, and moderator vacancies. Policy discussion, if it happens at all, usually just involves reminding each other what a specific policy is and where it came from. For example, we recently discussed the policy of when doubling a user's ban length is and isn't appropriate. We discussed the origins of the policy, and in the end, the majority agreed that it was appropriate and there wasn't any need to change it.

While MS has been a lot less active lately than the old glory days of the boards, I think that is going to change a little bit in the coming months because of the move. A lot of new policies may need to be ironed out simply because of the new features of the forum software and the way things work for moderators and admins on the back end. We'll basically have to reteach everyone how to do the everyday things like edit posts, ban and unban users, and promote VIPs. Not only that, but there will be a lot of decisions that need to be made regarding whether or not to incorporate new board features such as visitor messages in user profiles, the "report a post" system, automatic unbanning, etc. Any new features that are adopted will of course need brand new policies ironed out.

25. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    The MS ought to be open for public view, but only for 5 minutes, on some random day, at an odd time during that day. It would be fun to see how many people would notice.:p

They beat Boston!: 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: Back-to-Back World Champions :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.