main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should Monica Lewinsky be taken seriously?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthTunick , Oct 21, 2014.

?

Should Monica Lewinsky be taken seriously?

1. Yes

63.6%
  2. No

36.4%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    If there is any truth in comments I have heard in conversations with those who do not live in the US, the whole scenario belongs in Ender's thread, because America is the only nation which claims not to be a theocracy but still gets outraged over who the President is having "sexual relations" with.

And let's not pretend the outrage is only about perjury, given that Fox News generally does not give a **** about dishonesty and has won lawsuits defending the right to be dishonest over matters a lot more important than the President letting an intern give him oral sex.

2. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Yeah, Clinton actually kept his pants on more than 10 hours a day. Loser.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It was seized upon by the Republicans who were looking for anything they could use to bring Clinton down, but the man wasn't just sleeping around. Other than his history of alleged sexual harassment and worse, he was Lewinsky's boss and they had "relations" at work. Both of those things are widely (and rightly) considered unethical and people can be and are fired for it. She still gets raked over the coals by the media and even has trouble getting employment while the last time Billy Boy had to deal with criticism that seriously threatened him was c. 1999.

Sarge and yankee8255 like this.
  4. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Except not really :p

In addition to the abuse of power thing that Even mentioned (which in the Jones case went far beyond workplace power, but abuse of power under color of law) the second thing is that this happens in other countries all the time, too. And just like in our case, it's usually a useful cover for other objections people might have against a politician. Don't like his politics? Use the affair! Don't like the political system? Use the affair!

The biggest exception to this being France, because they're weird and think that their leader getting a lot of action makes him seem less of a dork. :p

yankee8255 and Juliet316 like this.
  5. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Sleeping with the boss is (rightfully) considered unethical and grounds for termination, but I think the whole issue got ridiculously blown out of proportion (especially if Lewinsky is having trouble getting a job even now) and we lost sight of the fact that his relations with Lewinsky had nothing to do with how he ran the country.

6. Mr44

Mr44 VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 21, 2002
    Yeah, AF, I think the difference between the examples you mentioned is that there is a huge difference between "sleeping around" (man or woman) and using one's position to extract sexual favors from your employees. So the French President had a mistress, or JFK had an affair with Marilyn Monroe. Who cares? That's a private matter between them and their family. (it is rather unethical though)

But imagine if you're an employee, and other personnel bring you into the boss's office (or hotel room) and the boss is standing there with his pants down, and expects sex, but ends up masturbating while you can't leave. That's a HUGE difference between a consenting affair. It's as Jello said, a violation of abuse of power under the law. You didn't consent to any of that behavior, and it's an extremely crude assumption for the boss to make. That's what Clinton initially got in trouble for. Lewinsky was brought up later, because she represented a pattern, and was just as inappropriate due to the intern/supervisor relationship. Collectively, I don't think such behavior would be tolerated in the slightest these days, and it certainly wouldn't be dismissed as simply being a "good ole boy from Arkansas."

Clinton being impeached was a mixed sentiment. The republicans did latch onto it, but the problem is, that with the office of President, you can't simply fire them. You have to impeach them to remove them from office. So what's the answer? I think in current times, the backlash would have been so much that he would have resigned.

7. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    The pesky thing about freedom of speech is people can say whatever they want to - even all those jerks that you disagree with.

However, freedom of speech goes out the window when you are testifying under oath. You are legally obligated to tell the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth. So comparing what someone says under oath to what a media outlet says is a poor analogy.

8. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    I don't know that Kyle is right that Clinton would have gotten 10-15 years had he been an typical American, but it still remains that he lied when he was legally bound to tell the truth, and that that crime is a felony. Does being President excuse you from being truthful in your depositions? Is criticism of that behavior solely partisanship? Ultimately I think the Republicans hurt themselves by pursuing the whole thing. But characterizing the fundamental criticism as getting mad at the President for having sex in a way some people disapprove of is inaccurate.

Sarge and Beezer like this.
  9. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    What Americans largely remember about the whole thing is the equivalent of the latenight talk show take on it.
    I don't know, but being President gives a free pass for doing a whole lot of illegal things as long it's popular with the public, ignored, or hidden.

Hank Hill likes this.
  10. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Ain't that the ****in' truth.

11. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004

I know it's a joke, but I just wanted to say I wish the media were more like it was during Kennedy's administration. Many people in the media knew about Kennedy's playing around, but didn't report anything about it. Why? Oh, because, they must've had the ridiculously absurd notion that it has nothing to do with running a country.

12. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I just assumed it was because Walter Cronkite was a dirty old man and tacitly approved.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi likes this.
  13. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    "And that's the way I get off."

Coruscant, Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Ramza like this.
  14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I certainly agree that Monica was given a hard time and was made into a national joke - and should NOT have been, but at the time I sure had the firm impression that the "whole fuss" made about Clinton and Monica was purely political. I was about as disgusted at the agenda as I thought I could get - until recent years, anyway.

What ever happened to working together to find a mutual satisfactory compromise to better the country rather than "scoring points" and stomping opponents via demonization of the"other"?

15. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    lol

16. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    See...further joking (and my words were chosen to make a "joke").

17. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Bill Clinton jokes are pretty damn funny when you're drunk.

18. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    10-15 was a guesstimate, it was late when I wrote that up and I didn't have time to look it up. Regardless, people who DO commit perjury almost always end up going to jail. Clinton got a slap on the wrist.

19. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Aug 23, 1999
    Sorry I was just saying that I agree with you, but I wasn't willing to commit to that cuz I genuinely don't know.

20. yankee8255

May 31, 2005

The penalties for civil perjury were a big talking point for the Clinton camp early on, they constantly asserted that it was "only" civil perjury, that people lie in depositions all the time, and that it never results in more than a slap on the wrist. That boomeranged on them pretty badly when any number of cases where people got significant jail time for it were reported.

21. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    After 3 pages, the more relevant question to me is - should DarthTunick ever be taken seriously?

22. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    For some questions, the answer is so obvious they don't need to be asked in the first place.

Darth Tunes likes this.
  23. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001

[​IMG]

Juliet316 likes this.
  24. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Interesting how you say sleeping with the boss is rightfully considered unethical and grounds for termination.. Do you think a (married) executive sleeping with a 20-something intern is also unethical and grounds for termination? Or is that OK?