main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Music be censored?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by CarbonKnight, Aug 2, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Today, I visited a home where a six year old boy was listening to 3minem... uncut. Unfortunately just about anyone can walk into a record shop and purchase a CD regardless of it's content. It's notable that 2 F words warrant an R rating in the movie industry.

2. Jedi Greg Maddux

Jedi Greg Maddux Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 3, 1999
    Well, it's a lot easier for a kid to put in a CD full of profanity than to stroll in a restricted flick.

While it's badly needed, it's impossible to pull off.

3. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    He was listening to what uncut? Celine Dion? Definitely should have been censored. Exceptions to the rule always exist.

;)

Serious note: Parents, parents, parents. I prefer the labels on the packaging, which tell a parent what kind of lyrics are inside (helps with parenting), but it isn't necessary. What really has to happen, at least in cases of ones so young, is that parents have to do their job and get involved with their children's lives.

4. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    I think he was referring to Eminem, but that's just me.

5. yodafett999

yodafett999 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 24, 2000
    Censored? Never. Regulated a bit? Yeah, probably. The key is having the parents, especially of a six year old, involved in their lives in all facets. Once they hit the teen years then it's time to give them a little space and the room to grow into their adult selves but when they are that young they should still be watched by their parents.

If you don't know that your six year old is listening to Eminem then you are on your way to being a neglectful parent. If you know and condone it then you have a whole other mess of issues to work through.

6. DarthPhelps

DarthPhelps Jedi Master star 5

Jan 31, 2002
    Oh, I thought he meant:
    "...was listening to 'em", but forgot the apostrophe ot indicate the omission of the 'th'.

Eminem isn't too long to type. You could have used m&m, and I would have known what you meant.

7. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    Should Music be censored

Yes, in a country where freedom isn't cherished. I'm involved in a debate in the marijuana thread and I'm beginning to realize everything our forefathers fought for was for naught. It seems our society doesn't want freedom, but instead wants more laws and more controls.

8. CarbonKnight

CarbonKnight Jedi Youngling star 4

Apr 19, 2002
    Yes I was referring to 3minem.... stupid filter.

What's funny is this is kind of the premise of the 3minem "Without Me" video. Sure, you can blame the parents all you want, but parents can't control everything. And frankly there are many Ad0lts out there who are unresponsible with their music, who will sit out on their deck blasting 3minem's "Kim" (the one in which he brutally murd3rs his wife). Now I'm not suggesting we licence people to listen to music, but similar to alcohol, people use it irresponsibly.

9. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Unless the music industry does something to the sale of CDs (lowering prices), MP3s will rule the planet. It's just as easy for a kid to download the unedited version of Eminem as it is to play his albums.

10. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    we should never censor anything in America, unless it is slandorous to the US Government, which would be sedition.

anyway, every time you buy a consumer good, it is a vote for that kind of product. as long as it sells, they will continue to publish it. so if you dont like it, dont buy it.

11. JediStryker

JediStryker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 5, 2000
  12. MadMardigan

MadMardigan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2001
    we should never censor anything in America, unless it is slandorous to the US Government, which would be sedition.

Aaargh. But it was for this sole purpose that our forefathers sought freedom in the first place. What good is freedom of speech if we can't criticize those in power.

13. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Well, the Democrats and their cohorts (McCain, a -------- Republican) are trying to take your freedom away everyday. The Campain Finance reform bill is a direct violation of our Constitutional rights, but no one is freaking out about it except those paying attention.

14. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    What harm do you think will come to this young boy from listening to the eminem record?

15. shinjo_jedi

shinjo_jedi Jedi Master star 5

May 21, 2002
    I don't think it should. At most stores(well, at least where I live) You have to show ID to buy an Un-Edited CD. But personally, I hate Un-Edited Music. I am a huge Hip-Hip/Rock Fan though, so I can see why I don't like it. Kids, should listen ot the Edited Versions, but when you become a teenager, theres no reason to.

Cheers,
    Shinjo

16. Darth Mulacki

Darth Mulacki Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 4, 1999
    music should never be censored, nothing should, That is the basis of freedom of speech.

I never realy understood why americans are so tight up about the f-word, everybody knoes what it is and everybody uses it sooner or later.

The only place i agreee with censorship is in movies, its not good for 10year old to see someone get shot in the head or something

-Mulacki

17. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Maybe it is bad for kids to hear that type of music, and it's great that stores are requiring ID to buy that music. Geez, I remember when Mortal Kombat 3 came out on the Genesis, I had a hard time buying it at Target because it was rated mature. See, businesses will respond to consumer demand, as it was meant to.

But calling on the government to censor music is absurd. It is not the government's place to censor ANYTHING, even things that are critical of itself. One of the greatest aspect of the US government is it's people's ability to openly criticize and even lament it. That's why bills like McCain's Campaign Finance Reform bill are so hazardous to the future of our country. Now people cannot criticize a politician 60 days before an election on television? It's the closest to Marxism our country has ever gotten.

Let the people decide what should and should not be allowed through consumerism, not the government. We cannot always look to Congress to protect us everytime something we don't like happens.

18. JamesMadison

JamesMadison Jedi Youngling

Jul 29, 2002
    "Yes, in a country where freedom isn't cherished. I'm involved in a debate in the marijuana thread and I'm beginning to realize everything our forefathers fought for was for naught. It seems our society doesn't want freedom, but instead wants more laws and more controls."

I think it needs to be acknowledged that unrestrained liberty is the most serious threat to a well ordered society. In order for a civil society to exist there must be checks on liberty and our Founding Father's also realized this reality. The Founding Father's built this country upon the premise people could be responsible enough to conduct themselves in a manner which did not threaten the health and well being of the society. They were not at all opposed to laws which regulated liberty when humans proved themselves incapable of using liberty responsibly. This in part explains drug laws.

BTW, you can speak out against the U.S. Government. New York Times vs. Sullivan the United States Supreme Court makes it clear that speech directed at a public official, such as a Congressman, President, or Judge, in a particular fashion is "political speech" and deserves the most stringent protection. Any time the Congress or the States attempt to by law impede individuals from engaging in political speech the Court use a Strict Scrutiny approach and No Law has ever survived Strict Scrutiny.

Let's not. There's a line between making a point and inflaming a discussion.

Censorship of music? No. I value Freedom of Speech and Expression.

19. Jedi Greg Maddux

Aug 3, 1999
    Burn the U.S. Flag your Founding Father's also fought for this right especially since they made it a periodic practice to burn the Union Jack.

Umm, that is NOT appropriate. Just don't say that to a 9/11 survivor's face.

20. Ramius

Ramius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 8, 2002
    No, it shouldn't be censored. That kid could have easily found Pulp Fiction laying around and popped it into the VCR/DVD and watched it. Does that mean we should censor movies we buy? Hell no. It's the parents' responsibility to do the censoring.

If the CD says, Warning: Explicit Lyrics, then he has been warned. That's why McDonalds puts Warning: HOT on their coffe, so people don't sue. It isn't Eminem's fault the kid listens to it. If he walked into the store and bought the CD, it is his own fault.

21. JediStryker

Mar 5, 2000
    Umm, that is NOT appropriate. Just don't say that to a 9/11 survivor's face.

It IS appropriate. It's what I'm out here helping to protect. We have every right to burn our flag. It makes me sick to know that people do it, and I might give someone who did a piece of my mind, but I sure would rather that the right remained intact then to see it go down the drain. 9/11 survivors should be proud that they live in a country where that can be done freely.

22. sleazo

sleazo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 13, 2001
    Jedistryker i concur.

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I personally have never understood why, with ratings for TV and movies, we don't have similar ratings for music. I don't like listening to music with explicit language, but I don't mind some. That's fine for me because I just don't listen to music with warning labels. But how is someone, epecially a parent, to tell the swear-free music from the music with some swearing by just looking at the packaging?

-sj loves kevin spacey

24. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    They were not at all opposed to laws which regulated liberty when humans proved themselves incapable of using liberty responsibly. This in part explains drug laws.

Actually Marijuana was legal, the cotton company had congress make a law against the use of hemp. Also the government imfringes too much on what we hold dear. Censorship is the bane of our society. I say let kids listen to uncensored music. Oh and just so you know. I've been watching horror movies since I was 3. And I've had no side-effects, media influencing children is an absurd thing. Especially since Eminem, has stated many times in his music that it's all fake. Yet people take it as fact about the man. Groups like the PTC, and the MRC shouldn't be allowed the amount of power that they have.

When Gore announced Lieberman as his running mate. I officially wanted Bush or Nader to win, the democratic party now stands for censorship, government interference, and everything else I hate about the government.

25. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    The typical 3 year old should not be watching horror movies. The poor kids will have nightmares....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.