main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should my girlfriend watch the prequels?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Bounty Hunter Heshler, Jun 3, 2014.

?

Should she watch the prequels?

1. Yes

72.7%
  2. No

12.7%
  3. Put Bossk on a Segway

23.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001

Mata2010 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    If you say so.

3. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    Pretty much this, even thou I would recommend the Clone Wars series.

4. JediMasterJessica

JediMasterJessica Jedi Master star 3

Jul 26, 2005
    I would like to know the outcome of this! My boyfriend had never seen Star Wars when we started dating, so I went with 4, 5, 6, 1, 2, 3 and then all of the Clone Wars. I "found" Star Wars through the prequels and I still enjoy them quite a bit so to me they were necessary. I also think they are very necessary to enjoy The Clone Wars, which I, and my boyfriend, find spectacular in later seasons.

Hope it works out for you, my boyfriend is now a huge fan. He just finished reading the Thrawn Trilogy so I think I converted him well.

5. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014

LOL the later Clone Wars stuff is excellent. watched the last story today and it works as a lead in ( still sorry its gone though) Out of interest how did your other half react to the prequels having seen the OT first?

6. JediMasterJessica

Jul 26, 2005

He slept through a lot of TPM but claims to of liked it. Claims is the key. He's never asked to watch it again so I think he's missing a solid 35 mins of it. Attack of the Clone he says "he can see why people don't like it but it's okay". He has asked to rewatch that once. Revenge of the Sith he absolutely loved, and we have rewatched that probably 3 or 4 times together.

In comparison to the PT, he has chosen to rewatch those numerous times even when I am not around. I was 1500 miles away from him on May the 4th and he chose to watch all of the OT back to back to back....so make your inferences there.

We actually watched a lot of The Clone Wars together for the first time. I had seen the movie and S1-3 before deciding to watch the movie and S1-5 with him, so experiencing things first hand together was really cool. Excited for Rebels and the new films with him.

thejeditraitor likes this.
  7. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

The Clone Wars is really uneven. I felt like I would enjoy and arc and then the next one would blow.

Just show her Revenge of the Sith.

vinsanity likes this.
  8. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    that's ridiculous. let someone decide for themselves what they like. don't limit them. a movie you hate may be someone else's favorite.

9. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    True, their very inconsistent like the prequel movies(although the quality increased in later seasons), but still, I found some of the arcs much more enjoyable than the prequel movies.

10. JediMasterJessica

Jul 26, 2005
    I do agree that some of TCW arcs were weaker than others but I found watching as a whole instead of skipping around was more beneficial to my boyfriend. Season 5 I skipped some and when we were done with my selections his response was " but there's more". If you want her to really enjoy SW I can't see why you'd cut any of it. Let her draw her own conclusions. She might not have the same likes as you and you choosing for her what to like is going to inhibit her. Let her love the prequels, ewoks and Dooku Captured if she wants- it's all more to discuss :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thejeditraitor likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There were some TCW arcs that were great and some that needed to be buried in lava on Mustafar.

And experience in the TV forum has shown me that there is no universal consensus there.

I'm just curious as to how this "Should my girlfriend or boyfriend watch this?" works. Would any of you actually tell your partners, "No, you can't watch that, it sucks"?

I personally always appreciate a "I know your taste and I don't recommend that you watch this", but being told that I "can't" would make me watch it just out of spite.

On TCW arcs, why not show her the summaries on Wikipedia and let her decide if any of them interest her?

My son loved the third episode of the Yoda arc, and I hated it, and that's not the only example of us having different opinions on Star Wars, but...it's cool. We're different people.

Mata2010 likes this.
  12. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    My answer: why the hell not, she's got noting to lose to be quite honest if she likes them great if not oh well. I mean my sister not into sci fi stuff but even she enjoyed the prequels and had a pretty damn good experience of watching the saga. Also, there are people across the boards who speak of the positive experiences of people watching the prequels before the originals.

Mata2010 and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  13. Darkslayer

Darkslayer #2 Sabine Wren Fan star 7

Mar 26, 2013
    I'd show it to her PT then OT. Just my opinion.

14. Mata2010

Mata2010 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 2, 2013
    Exactly. Controlling what others do/see/etc is not the best way to get one to agree with your point of view. In fact, you'll probably get the opposite outcome that you were trying to get.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  15. Sariel2005

Sariel2005 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 10, 2014

TBF I don't think the OP was planning on controlling his girlfriend, just trying to work out whether it was worth showing her the prequel trilogy.

16. Mata2010

Mata2010 Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 2, 2013
    If I had a boyfriend that told me I couldn't watch whatever movies because they suck, I'd watch them anyway out of spite. Like anakinfansince1983 stated above. There is a certain level of "you can't do this because I don't think it's the best for you" patriarchal tone to it. Some women really, really don't like that ****. But his girlfriend may be different. Just let her make her own decision.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.