main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Should Naboo have been replaced by Alderaan?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by TheWatcher, Dec 28, 2013.

1. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Its no spoiler, among the most iconic moments in ANH is when Alderaan blows up. But it isnt an emotional loss, the scene looks awesome and you can understand how dangerous is the Empire.

But would be the PT establish Alderaan? That was my hope at least.

And it did in a way, Naboo seems like Alderaan. Heck there's royalty there also. The prequels had the opportunity to create an emotional attachment to the planet hence naking its loss even sadder.

What do you guys think?

2. Pakkpekatt

Pakkpekatt Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2013
    It should had been Alderaan but it is what it is.

TX-20 likes this.
  3. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    It could have worked, but ultimately I enjoyed the introduction of a new world. It just makes the galaxy feel bigger. ANH isn't exactly an emotional movie, it's just kind of a gogo space adventure. Even if it was Naboo, I'm not sure anyone would be crying over it.

Also...dude spellcheck your threads before you post them. Seriously it's embarassing lol.

ILNP likes this.
  4. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    Yeah, I posted the thread from my phone and didnt check if the title was right...but too late. And meh its embarrasing. I can live with a grammar misrake especially when it wasnt mt fault but the phone's.

And Im not saying it should be emotional, but it is an investment of time to developing a world that in a way should have a pay off. Oh and since we havent been on Alderaan well I would think if we visit it for the first time then it kinda counts as a new world...you know in keeping with the Lucas tradition of new worlds in every movie.

Emotional investment is no crying, I think you should look it up before you flare up the troll guns. You know just for your information if you want a hero to succeed in a film, tv series, game, etc, I have news for you my friend you are emotionally invested. That means you care.

5. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012
    Except it doesn't really make sense to hide Leia on her mother's home planet... not that it makes sense to hide Luke on his father's.

6. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

I don't give a damn.

ILNP likes this.
  7. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    Alderaan could have been expanded upon in other ways; a lot of people think making Naboo into Alderaan is the only feasible solution. Unfortunately, George was indecisive about how he wanted to introduce Bail, and as a result, Alderaan was pushed aside.

While I like both atmospheres, I actually like the direction they took with Alderaan in ROTS more than Naboo. Seemed like such a classic and timeless setting. Though even showing that little bit gave a bit more gravity to the destruction.

Personally, I feel like having a planet as major as Naboo go out in so quickly seems wasteful; the point was driven home well enough by Leia and Obi-Wan, but aside from being an example by the Empire, it had already served its purpose.

8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Bail Organa and Alderaan should have had a bigger presence in the PT.

9. DLINE

DLINE Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2013
    Yah I mean why nabbo who cares about them.

10. Darth Raiden

Darth Raiden Jedi Master star 3

Aug 28, 2013
    I CARE!

11. Pakkpekatt

Pakkpekatt Jedi Youngling

Dec 28, 2013
    People who like Gungans.

12. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

I get what you mean abouth the atmosphere and geography but storywise Alderaan had to appeat eventually. And a minor glimpse left us all wanting for more. Which good except in ANH its blown up....woops.

13. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    That's true, but what I'm saying is that for the minor role Alderaan played in the OT, it's not surprising to see that it was only briefly featured in the PT. I think the characters from Alderaan (Bail Organa, Bail Antilles, Queen Breha), should have been featured more, not necessarily the planet itself.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  14. The Supreme Chancellor

The Supreme Chancellor Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    Oh yeah, giving my genuine opinion on the misspelled thread that you created makes me a troll. ^:)^

15. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013
    If intended as a suggestion thank you. It just seemed as trollibg or screwing around. Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

16. Merkual

Merkual Jedi Master star 4

Jun 3, 2013
    I think a better question would be

should the title be repkased by a moderator?

17. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

Why was it necessary for Alderaan to replace Naboo in the PT? If you can explain that . . . other than expressing some kind of preference on your part, perhaps I would find this topic relevant. Right now, I see no reason why Lucas had to follow what you wanted to see in the movie. And criticizing Lucas for being "indecisive" doesn't really hack it.

18. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    well the argument is for most people that as an audience we'd care that Alderaan got blown up if it was a familiar planet

we have no attachment to it what so ever:

all we know about the place is that it "is peaceful and has no weapons" etc from a native trying to protect her planet,

oh and Jimmy Smitts is from there

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  19. Beezer

Beezer Jedi Master star 4

Jul 5, 2013
    Alderaan definitely should have had a larger role. Didn't necessarily have to replace Naboo, but it would have made the scene from E4 all the more dramatic.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  20. Barbecue17

Barbecue17 Jedi Master star 2

Nov 11, 2013
    Huh. Interesting. I guess I'd never thought about "what if Naboo had been Alderaan." That would have been interesting. I wonder if it was ever batted around in preproduction? Naboo seemsvery similar to how I pictured Alderann. It definitely seems like Alderann could have had a bigger role in the prequels or that Naboo would have been a bigger player in the Rebellion years later.

21. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

Apparently since you have nothing good to say you can just rip at the newbie. Or better yet hide behind the joke yo appear as a big man. Everyone else just ran with it they understand what a typo is...and the continue with the friendly debate. But again if you like to nitpick then consider yourself happy yes I made a mistake, a have typo in my thread title. Dear Lord, I am an idiot now with no brain, I am an ignorant bystander of education.

Maybe you could grow a bit more of maturity and comment on the thread like almost everybody who can understand human mistakes.

P.S not looking to ve enenies but respect merits respect. If you want it show it. And learn to let minor things like typos go by.

Barbecue17 likes this.
  22. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    woah, calm down. I know you made a typo, my comment was more towards a moderator who saw the thread to actually help you out a bit and actually change the title,

in other words: i'm sure than just one moderator checks this forum in case of trolls.

Also, joking and occasional ribbing doesn't mean we disrespect you.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  23. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

Well it's called narrative coherence. And its essentual in storytelling. A planet whose apparent leader was part of the Clone Wars, Obi-Wan served under him. A planet that implied to be a big player in the rebellion...yet it has a minute of screen time in the prequels...in the penultimate scene...in ROTS....the last movie of the prequels.

The Rebellion is shown in the movies (deleted scenes dont count) and that means Lucas understood the birth of the Rebellion as not important. What?

They are the good guys of your next films, at least a seed of its birth should appear.

Alderaan is according to EU, and they have dobe because the movies imply it, as the most important planet in early stages of the Rebellion. So you set up Naboo, and still there is no use for the planet after three films. Yet you have a planet that your movies and related media address as the biggest player of the rebellion, a planet you destroyed...

A good writer would give us a chance if he can to invest ourselves more in the Rebellion and in the destruction of the planet. Its just good storytelling. Just because Lucas did means its good. We love his saga but we can, if we are honest with ourselves, point out the flaws(like inanything) of what we have. We also point out the good things.

24. TheWatcher

Dec 26, 2013

Ok. And sorry for any offense. And thank you for your care.

25. Merkual

Jun 3, 2013
    no worries :) it happens

agree with your points by the way :)

TheWatcher likes this.