main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Should New Zealand merge with Australia?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Hmmm... perhaps New Zealand could become two new states of Australia - South Zealand and North Zealand?

What do you think?

After all, it basically is like that now, in all but name.

2. Amidala_Skywalker

Amidala_Skywalker Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 2001
    If we did merge, I think we?d be doing the New Zealanders a disservice by keeping the country name ?Australia?.

We should create something new and imaginative!

I wouldn?t mind making one big country. We?d be protecting ourselves from the bigger nations, who, in the future, might become aggressive against us.

Besides, I was born in NZ and live in AUS, it?s all good for me ;).

Am [face_love]

3. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    How about Australasia or Oceania?

4. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    In the words of adrmiral ackbar "it's a trap!"

5. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    I'd agree to that......when hell freezes over!

6. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    If we merged, we would still kill possums, no matter what you idiots say.

Can I get an amen on that NZ'ers?

:p

Seriously though, no thanks. We enjoy beating you in rubgy and the such and well, if YOU were part of US, we would just be rejoicing over a "team kill" (in gaming terms) and that's just lame.

Stay the hell away from us. :p ;) :D

7. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Surely, you have to admit that there would be many, MANY positives for New Zealand if you became part of Australia.

1) It would help your economy. Your $ is a LOT weaker than ours.

2) IT would help you militarily. NZ basically has NO military... didn't you scrap your Air Force a few years ago, or you just have *one* plane or something like that... who do you expect to defend you? Australia?

3) It would legitimize all the NZ immigrants in Australia - who move to Bondi and live off Australian welfare... ;)

8. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > After all, it basically is like that now, in all but name.

Bollocks it is.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    > Your $ is a LOT weaker than ours

Exchange rate. NZ$1 = AUD$0.9149

Hardly a LOT weaker?

As for military, considering we don't kiss the US's ass and send combat troops into whatever jacked up war they've created, we've got little need to worry about retaliatory invasion.

The big threat to security these days is terrorism, and as we've seen in Indonesia and the US, a big military force is useless against such attacks anyway.

10. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    I'm amazed Gaths even had the guts to post this thread.........

11. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    hmmm ... so all the Australians think it's a good idea, and all the New Zealanders think it's pants.

Personally, I'm in favour of closer ties. However, I think that by wording it "New Zealand merging with Australia" you come across as being totally Australian-centric. New Zealand and Australian cultures are quite different, and I don't think the two could easily merge. It would be like merging Canada and the US. Both countries have a strong national identities.

Also, from a political point of view it's not that simple. New Zealand is a bicultural nation, with an agreement between the Crown and the Maori people. Quite how this would resolve itself I'm not sure. I'm sure Australians don't want to have to inherit New Zealand's messy treaty issues, and I'm not really all that keen on having to deal with how badly the Australian Government treated its own indigenous peoples.

All this aside, I think it would make sense for the two currencies to merge, and maybe for the 2 defence forces to merge as well. But I don't want New Zealand to "become part of Australia".

As for for the Australian dollar being "much stronger" ... that's just bollocks. The two currencies only vary by about 10%, and the relavtive price differences mean that things cost virtually exactly the same in both countries.

12. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    <i>It would legitimize all the NZ immigrants in Australia - who move to Bondi and live off Australian welfare...</i>

Are you saying NZ immagrants in Australia aren't "legitimate" now?

Also agree with much of what STH said.

13. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Maybe Australia should become the 51st state of America. I mean, it's practically that way already.

14. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I have actually thought of that. Except Australia wouldn't be one single state, our states would enter as their own entity - ie: 7 states.

15. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    we'll never turn to the Dark Side.

STH has some relevant points, however, I think it would come down to one simple fact, The All Blacks could never be called the 'All Black, Green and Yellows'

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > I have actually thought of that. Except Australia wouldn't be one single state, our states would enter as their own entity - ie: 7 states.

I don't think many Americans would know or care that Australia has seven states. I'd imagine a lot of Americans wouldn't even be able to find Australia on a map. I'm not saying this as an anti-American statement, but rather that I just think Americans are really inward looking and don't know an awful lot about world history or geography. I mean, they consider that WW II didn't start until they joined in in 1941. How ethnocentric is that?

And really, what would Australia have to offer the US for the US to want a union? All Australia would be providing would be landing strips for American warplanes.

17. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    America is already making the most of Australia ... I believe they have a nuclear missile tracking base on their soil. The USA government also pushes Australia to vote with them in the UN, when it comes to some of their more controversial stances, like the Koyoto protocols issue, and the excluding their soliders from being charged with war crimes in a world court.

Although, I guess those issues mean Australia is of more use to them as an ally than a state.

As a state, Australia would at last get the free trade agreement, though.

18. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    If New Zealnd ever became part of Australia then I would leave this place.

It would remove a great pastime of mine - Beating those Aussies at anything.

I don't mind the occasional Australian, but I cannot stand any Aussie sporting team, especially their cricket team.

19. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Why - hehe... because, ahem, Australia always WINS?!

20. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    no... because, ahem, they DON'T :D

21. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Ok, I am sorry, Australia wins 99.9% of the time...

22. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    the only good thing would be better toy distrubutation

23. -Winter-

-Winter- Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    I don't care much about sports, or toys for that matter, but "merging" with Australia is not something I want to see. What good would it do for NZ? It's not like we're under financial difficulties.

24. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    Ok lets see 99.9% of the time you say.
    last 3 trans tasman sporting events NZ won 2 out of 3, so that therefore means australia looses 66.66% of the time. :p

25. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    PWN3D!!11!11!11!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.