main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Should New Zealand merge with Australia?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by The Gatherer, Jul 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    \|/3 r0x0r 4(\)|) 4r3 |337

2. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i havn't got a big problem with a merger, sure its nice to have your own country and all...

preserving a nz identity wouldn't be a problem either i think, given other examples overseas..........wales, ireland, scotland were all unified and dominated by England for many centuries, but managed to keep a strong vibrant cultural identity......they even keep their own sporting teams if you care about that type of thing.......spain is practically a collection of states in loose federation as well, and has been so for many centuries.........the main difference with our two countries is that we were settled largely by the same group (i of course amd brushing over the indigenous aspect, sorry), we speak the same language, have very similiar governments and political institutions...we already have a close relationship economically and militarily.........to me there is no strong reason not to have some sort of closer relationship.....

the treaty is not a valid reason not to merge IMO, as australia at least since Mabo has recognised the validity of indigenous rights.

besides we do not necessarily have to join as states of Australia, we could do it differently.......say a common dollar/reserve bank, common defence (one military but each country keeping their own coast guard for example), or a common border/customs union (we are nearly there already)...we could easily do something like that and preserve our identity

3. The Gatherer

The Gatherer Jedi Youngling star 6

Aug 2, 1999
    Good points.

You have hit the mark towards the end, I believe that there currently is a strong push for an Oceania Free Trade Zone / Economic Forum, using the Australian Dollar, especially for the smaller countries, such as the Solomon Islands.

4. Chansplace

Chansplace Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 2, 2001
    a common currency sounds feasable.

We could have something similar to the Euro, (I wonder what it would be called... the Austro? ANZo?) but with the exchange rate the way it is, this would probably just be a step towards merging the Aus and NZ dollar.

5. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Does it have to have an "o" at the end? Just cause the Euro does - but that's short for Europe. ?[face_plain]

The Anz would work, but would have to grow on people. :p

Bring back the one and two dollar notes I say!!! Damn shrapnel in the wallet. :p

6. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I reckon they should bring out 95 cent coins.

7. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
  8. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    > Bring back the one and two dollar notes I say!!! Damn shrapnel in the wallet.

You'll just have to start carrying a handbag SFL

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Who says I don't.

10. Chansplace

Jan 2, 2001
    I do.

you have one of those tiny black backpacks that were all the rage in the late 90's :p

11. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    I convert all my loose change into $1 and $2 coins using the vending machines at uni. Only certain types will do it though ... some will just give you your change right back if you press the change button.

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Cen, mine is more from one shoulder across my front and back and under my other arm, I beleive you've seen it. It certainly get's peoples attentions.

/\ In all seriousness too STH, I came fairly close to getting beaten up by a group of drunken youths for having it. Enlightning experience I can tell you. [face_plain]

Kitt: I hardly bother with loose change, unless I get given it by someone who owes me money for a pie I bought them or something. The eftpos card is much more handy and well - with student cheque account and free transactions, why not?

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    > with student cheque account and free transactions, why not?

Prepare for a rude shock when you graduate SFL ... as soon as those "free transactions" stoppped applying, I was getting stunbg with account fees of about $20.00 a month. It's all just to lull you into a flase sense of security ... Banks are EVIL

And back on topic ... the most stupid thing about Australian money ... The one dollar coin is BIGGER than the two dollar coin. Is that counter-intuitive or what?

14. ACERIMMERROCKS

ACERIMMERROCKS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2001
    I use cash mostly I end up with a pocket full of shrapnel all the time chnage from food and stuff like that i normal just put it in a pile in my room and use it to pay off my huge comic backlog at the comic shop and its good for paying back people etc

the only time i use my eftpos card is when some one puts money in off trademe or to transfer money from my savings to my eftpos so i can get the cash out then buy the item.

15. Humble extra

Humble extra Jedi Youngling star 5

Jun 12, 1999
    i generally pay in kind

16. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    What kind of things can that currency get ya? ?[face_plain]

Apart from lovin. :)

I mean, a shopkeeper's not gonna give you his banana's for your kindness, surely.

17. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    Perhaps the new unit of currency could be called the ANZAC?

18. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I thought of that, but the acronym just doesn't fit.

I mean, sure it relates to our combined efforts and togetherness, but it also relates to many deaths and war. And really has nothing to do with currency.

19. Darth_Graal

Darth_Graal Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 19, 2001
    ANZAC

Australia New Zealand Amalgamated Currency

Fits but still a bad Idea!

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Why not just call it a dollar, like both countries do now.

21. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    hmmm JP .... so wise.

Of course, it would have to be the _something_ dollar, at least in terms of the World Currency Market. (Unfortunately the American dollar will always be THE dollar.) But keeping the name "dollar" is by far the most sane suggestion so far.

Maybe the Oceanic Dollar or the Pacific Dollar? I'd image in there was going to be a united currency it would make sense to integrate the currency into the Fiji, Samoa, Tonga etc. as well, as a lot of Pacific nations use either NZ or Australian money anyway.

22. The Gatherer

Aug 2, 1999
    I doubt that the smaller Pacific Nations would use the weaker NZ dollar, as compared to the stronger AUS dollar.

23. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Huh? We're talking about a merged dollar. And as we've said the NZ dollar is about 92% of the AUS. Not enough to label the two as particularly different.

24. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    This discussion is actually getting pretty tiresome, The Gatherer.

For all intents and purposes, the AUS and NZ dollar are basically identical. As JP said, the NZ$ is about 92% of the AUS$. If you buy a CD in Australia it costs about AU$30, and in New Zealand about NZ$35. So, the price differential pretty much makes the difference in currency negligible.

I'll get my coat ...

25. 2DARK

2DARK Jedi Youngling

Aug 18, 2003
    Australians won't want to merge with NZ.... because they don't want Maori trying to claim everything in Australia.

Yes, Maori wouldn't be the first people in Australia....

But then again Maori are NOT the first people in NZ either!!! [face_devil]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.