main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should NYC get the 2012 Olympics?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Yodave27, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    After 9-11 many cities around the world have thrown their support behind New York City hosting the 2012 Summer Olympics. Do you think this is fair? And should New York (my hometown and in my mind the greatest city in the world) win because of the sympathy factor?

I am in favor of hosting the Olympics for the reason that it would force city officials to upgrade the dilapidated sports arena. One thing that concerns me however would be the traffic. The thought of ALL those people on the roads, useing the Subways *shudder*.

Discuss.....debate.....

I tried to lock this twice last night, but it glitched. Why the lock?

Just because a city had buildings knocked down doesn't mean they should get the Olympics. If that is true, give it to London, Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, Kabul, Hiroshima, Nagasaki, Belfast, Dublin, Dresden...you see where I am going here.

2. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    The U.S. has hosted several Olympics in recent years, so I think we should be looking at other countries. Obviously, it has to be a country with the financial wherewithal to build the facilities, but maybe someplace new would be good. How about England? Has England ever hosted?

As far as NYC goes, I think it's a good city (as a Bostonian, of course, I can't say that it's the best ;) ), but the traffic would be really awful. It's so crowded at all times -- to suddenly have the entire world descend on it... and where would they build Olympic village? As much as I think that something should be done for NYC to give it a positive event, I'm not sure the Olympics are the right event for it. (Then again, aren't the Chinese Olympics in Shanghai? I don't know a lot about China, but I always had the impression that Shanghai was a very crowded place. If they can handle the traffic flow... )

The problem with America's hosting, which I'm not sure the rest of the world realizes, is the way cities compete with each other within the country. "But Los Angeles had them! Why not New York?" And I think Boston has a great summer Olympics setup, with lots of good rivers for rowing, running trails, etc. And as a former Buffalonian, I'm naturally convinced that Buffalo/Niagara Falls makes more practical sense than New York City. And this is ignoring that New York State has hosted twice in Lake Placid, because neither people in NYC nor Buffalo would think that ought to disqualify them.

Salt Lake City makes a wonderful winter Olympics site, and I'm surprised it took them so long to get it, or that they needed to resort to any ethically questionable incentives (as was alleged). The South has hosted, the West has hosted. I'd like to see a New England games to show the world our corner of America, but the truth is, the rest of the world deserves a shot, too, and I always love to see the little asides about the host city.

3. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    I think New York city could handle it, they host the Goodwill games (though its not as big as the Olympics.) and I think the Worlds Fair Grounds might be a good place to place the Olympic Village.

But I dont know if it should get it for reasons of sympathy.

(Ill admit I never been to NYC, but I think its a good choice. Maybe they can get a good Olympic stadium and eventually get the NFL to let them host a Super Bowl too)

Edit: JG London had games in either 46 or 48, only problem I see with England hosting games is the constant rain, but still that shouldnt disclude them, perhaps they can make a bid here soon too.

4. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    double post-ignore

5. George15

George15 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 4, 2002
    No i dont think NY should get the 2012 olympics, because frankly i hate NY.If there going to have it in an american city again i think it should be in a smaller city like the one i live by indianapolis(wich in my opinion is the greatist city in the world).

6. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    if they put a bid together that shows they deserve it, then let them have it.

they shouldnt get it out of sympathy. that wouldnt be right.

if it were my city (Sydney), i wouldnt want to win out of sympathy.

mind you, we won because of the cutesy angle with a 12yo girl helping our bid [face_plain]

7. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Couple of things of note.

First is that the City of New York does not have an olympic standard stadium, ie with a track and such. That is almost mandatory for a venue to get it.

The only way I seem them getting that, is if they renovated Yankee Stadium extensively.

New York City would be a better candidate to host the Winter Olympics, to tell you the truth.

8. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    TripleB, there are talks for a West Side stadium, that would be sweet.

Oh and if the only reason that you have tp post here is that you hate NY, then don't.

9. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    No more Olympics in the US!

Canada has ideal conditions for Winter Olympics. Most of the great ski hills in the world can be found here. Only watch your step. This place can get a bit rough. :p

10. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Still you managed to build some of the worst ski jumping hills for Calgary '88!

And I don't think NYC should get it because of sympathy, if they get it it should be because they deserve it.

And if you complain about the traffic, don't go to Athens 2004.

11. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    I was commenting about Calgary to my friends tonight, actually. What do you expect? Of coures Calgary was a poor choice for winter Olympics - it's flat!

The province of British Columbia has some world class hills. That's where it's at!

12. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    apparently they have world class blizzards as well.

and an american head of state? why did bush open the olympics?

13. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    I don't think any US cities should host for a while. The past 20 years have had a LOT of the games take place in the US. Give some other countries a shot.

14. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    because its tradition. I remember in Nagano in '98, the Emeperor opened the ceremonies. Oh and how cool was Bush saying that speech with the athletes, most leaders just say it from high up somewhere.

I should explain 2012 is a summer year, not winter. The main competitiion for NYC is Toronto and some other US cities.

And speaking of Canada, I think Vancouver would be perfect for a winter Olympics, its a great city.

15. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    I think North America should get the 2012 Olympics for purely personal reasons.

I do like the way in which countries from all over the world host the Olympics. Maybe some others should get a chance to host them.

I'd love to see them in NYC, Toronto, or even some other city because I want to go sometime and it's a ton easier to go if its closer. I wish I coulda gone to Salt Lake City, but I couldn't, so here's hopin for next time :)

16. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    I'd like to see Vancouver get the winter games as they are situated in a perfect spot for them. They already have the needed facilities.

17. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    Not ski jumping hills!

18. Ender

Ender Jedi Knight star 6

Aug 12, 1998
    Uh, they have big mountains you know? Ever hear of the Rockies?

Calgary was in the foothills of the Rockies.

19. TripleB

TripleB Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2000
    Honestly, though In the last 22 years, the US has had 2 winter olympics(1980 and 2002) and 2 summer olympics (84 and 96). I think we have had our fair share of them for the time being. They should give it about 12-14 years before the US comes up again as a possiblity.

20. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    1996 is 16 years away from 2012. That's four summer games. That seems fair every fourt olympics somewhere in America or Canada.

21. Jedi_Xen

Sep 26, 2001
    Eh, if the US wants to host Olympic games as often as possible let them, its the cities that bid not the US government. If other cities want to bid then let them as well who ever puts together the best package deserves them. Its not fair for the US cities (the US is a large country with many big cities) to say well no wait 20 years then you can get a game, some cities want to build an Olympic stadium and turn that stadium into a home for their baseball/football teams before those teams pick up and leave town.

22. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    i agree with the sentiments that if they get it should be because they deserve is, not out of sympathy.

i also think that the US has had quite it's fair share of games recently, but i'm curious as to who the other bids have been. if there is a high percentage of US cities bidding, then i suppose it makes sense, statistically, for them to have so many. but, i felt that the 96 games should have been in athens instead of atlanta because of the centenial celebration.

23. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    ML, I felt the same way too, but in reality Athens wasn't ready to host the Olympics. There still is doubt about whether they can host the 2004 games, which I hope they do.

24. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    yodave, its tradition for head of state to open the olympics. hence the japanese emperor for nagano etc.

so why bush?

25. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    Darth_Dagsy, You're saying Bush is not our head of state :eek:

If anyone is our head of state (or the equivalent), it would be Bush. Who do you think should have opened the Olymics?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.