main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should NYC get the 2012 Olympics?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Yodave27, Feb 8, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    sorry, i was referring to canada...bush just opened the olympics there, and he is not the canadian head of state.

my original post about bush was following on from AT60s post about canada, so i thought it didnt need explaining.

i guess the point got lost when AT60 didnt respond.

of course the pres would open an american olympics...its just the canadian one that is weird.

2. Yodave27

Yodave27 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 2, 2001
    Oh the other Bush. I dont know
    i dont remember Calgary.

3. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    no, no, not the old bush. Dubya just opened this olympics even though he is not canadian head of state.

4. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    Wait a minute, the Olympics are in Salt Lake City, Utah which last timeI chechked was still part of the USA.....
    But you never know about those Mormons... ;)

5. Cailina

Cailina Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 1999
  6. Darth_Dagsy

Nov 18, 2000
    oh, wait, it is salt lake city.

i thought it was canada!

my bad. [face_blush]

i'm such a tool!

7. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    Tis Ok DD

8. Hillary_Clinton

Hillary_Clinton Jedi Youngling

Oct 18, 2001
    I doubt that NYC can accommodate the Olympics. That would be almost as bad as dropping a few stadiums and several million people in the middle of Tokyo. Where would you put it all?

9. Yodave27

Feb 2, 2001
    Spread it out to Long Island, Jersey, Upstate, Connecticut. There are places around NYC that can accomodate such places. More than enough hotels. Put a village somewhere, the Olympic stadium on the West Side with a view of Manhattan in the background, it could work.

10. Gutter_Monkey

Gutter_Monkey Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 15, 2001
    I would like to see France or Germany or someplace on mainland Europe get the games.
    Hey maybie even Rome. They could kick the Pope out of his pad and use it as the Olympic Village. :)

11. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    in general, i'm against any city getting it twice. there are so many wonderful and different places in the world, i just don't think we're at a point where we're running out and need to repeat.

paris is a finalist for 2008, along with Beijing, Istanbul, Osaka, and Toronto. (unless the site i got it from is outdated...)

12. Boutros-Boutros

Boutros-Boutros Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 5, 2001
    I thought 2008 was already decided, and that it would be Beijing.

13. Crimson

Crimson Jedi Master star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Yes 2008 will be in China...eeerrrr...

No, New York should not get the Olympics. There are several other cities in the US that could handle the Olympics much better than NYC. Cities like Seattle, Portland, Denver and San Diego would be much better choices.

Why should our sympathy for NYC automatically give it priority over other cities?? Total crap.

We should hold the 2012 Games in Kandahar. That'll sport a turnout like no other.

14. jiabaoyu

jiabaoyu Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 29, 2000
    2012 would be the summer Olympics, right? I don't think NYC should get the Olympics because we want to show our sympathy toward what happened there.

I think logistic issues such as the city's ability to handle a sports event of such a magnitude should be the primary concern. Can the city handle the millions of tourists that will descend on them as the Olympics approaches? Do they have the facilities for it? Those type of questions should be first and foremost in the discussion....that said, I think it would be nice if a country that has not been "show-cased" before could get the Olympics. I have no particular preference, but I think a country in South America or Asia would be a good candidate. There are many cities there that have the facilities to support the Olympics, but never had the chance to host it.

The Olympics is as much about seeing a coming together of the world, as it is about letting the world see into their host country.

My two cents. :)

15. farraday

farraday Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 27, 2000
    Lake Placid has hosted the winter Olympics twice and it's in uperstate new york so I don't see why the north east is complaining.

Besides, as I remember for the atlanta games there were sites all around the US. I remember watching the US football team play in DC.

I woder if Moscow or St.P will be able to snag it any time soon...

16. JediGaladriel

JediGaladriel Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 1999
    I'd like to see that, too. I'm not sure how many do have the facilities, though, and the bids that will be competing will favor new facilities being built anyway -- basically, we have to limit speculation to countries that can afford the initial investment, and who have reasonably stable political climates (not good if the goverment gets overthrown during the preparation for the games). If Argentina's economy picks back up, Buenos Aires might be good (the same logistical difficulties in broadcast -- and season -- as in Sydney, but clearly, those can be overcome).

Other cities that might be fun:
    Paris
    Vienna
    New Delhi (summer)
    Edinburgh
    Toronto (summer -- no mountains)
    Kathmandu (winter -- imagine ski events on Everest!)
    Johannesburg or Capetown

17. Gandalf the Grey

Gandalf the Grey Jedi Knight star 6

May 14, 2000
    I hope that New York does not get the Olympics just because of the 9/11 tragedies. I also hope that they do not not get them do a fear that it would be seen as sympathy for 9/11.

Personally, I?d rather see them in Toronto. You Americans should hope for Toronto too; it?d probably be cheaper to hop across the border and come to Canada and see them than to travel within your own country, courtesy of the amazing (-ly bad) Canadian dollar.

18. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    The Olympics are for the world to host, not the US. No the US shouldn't host another olympics until say 2020 or so.

IMHO, they should of moved the Salt Lake City olympics to somewhere else, because of the scandles.

19. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    All you talking about logistics should now that it is much better to have the olympics in a big city, where the transport system is often quite developed, often bigger cities also have most of the arenas.

And for Buenos Aires for the olympics, actually they've tried to get the winter olympics not so long time ago.

20. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Vienna will never be able to host the Olympics - they were told by the IOC years ago that a bid wouldn't even be considered. Why? Because Austria is landlocked so they can't host Sailing and Surfing events.

In my eyes the US and Canada had far too many games over the last few decades

1976 Montreal, 1980 Lake Placid, 1984 LA, 1988 Calgary, 1998 Atlanta, 2002 Salt Lake.

I really like to see games in Africa although I think that wouldn't happen anytime soon.

The UK are the worst candidate, the IAAF recently took the World Athletics Championship away from them because they were unable to build a stadium.

But what about the biggest sporting event on the planet? You know what I mean, the World Cup. Who could host that one in 2010?

21. Tukafo

Tukafo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 18, 2002
    Vienna will never be able to host the Olympics - they were told by the IOC years ago that a bid wouldn't even be considered. Why? Because Austria is landlocked so they can't host Sailing and Surfing events.

In my eyes the US and Canada had far too many games over the last few decades

1976 Montreal, 1980 Lake Placid, 1984 LA, 1988 Calgary, 1998 Atlanta, 2002 Salt Lake.

I really like to see games in Africa although I think that wouldn't happen anytime soon.

The UK are the worst candidate, the IAAF recently took the World Athletics Championship away from them because they were unable to build a stadium.

But what about the biggest sporting event on the planet? You know what I mean, the World Cup. Who could host that one in 2010?

22. Captain Antilles

Captain Antilles Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 26, 1998
    Please no. Haven't we suffered enough?

While it would be nice to get a bunch of new stuff here, like upgraded Mass transit and a new stadium for the Mets, it just won't work without screwing around with our already hideous commutes. And all those extra people, ick.

Let them go to London or something.

23. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    i think NYC would be a great choice for the Olympics in 2012, but i also think that we need to give other cities a chance too. ;) btw, some people have metioned the traffic problem. i think the traffic can be solved for the 2012 Olympiad, all that it needs is intelligent planning. as many people know, Los Angeles has the most congested freeway's in the country. when it was decided that L.A. would be the host city for the summer Olympiad in 1984, alot of people thought traffic would be an absolute nightmare, but it wasn't. Specific traffic plans were made before the summer of 1984 to ensure smooth traffic on L.A. freeways during the Games. Downtown and other offices in L.A. changed office hours so that the freeway's wouldn't be congested. when the games arrived in 1984, traffic went by very, very smoothly, and it was some of the best times ever to drive on a Los Angeles freeway. my point, if they can do it for L.A., they can do it for NYC. other point i'd like to make, since NYC is one of the most important cities on the East Coast (and America too) they should get the games in order to showcase NYC. It's been done twice here in Los Angeles (1932 & 1984) & i think it's time NYC gets the Summer Olympiad.

24. Jaina02

Jaina02 Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 8, 1999
    No! I think that Houston should get them- and we are up for the running. I didn't even think that NYC was a choice at this point.

Houston needs more publicity. True I am sick of living here (bc I've lived here my entire life and I'm ready for a change), but it is a great city, and the fourth largest in the US. It has great shows (theater) and several great art museums. We are a fun city! So the US Olympics should come here!

25. goldbubbly

goldbubbly Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 5, 2002
    ummm to add onto what jaina said....

Houston has made a bid for the 2012 olympics. Here are the facts concerning Houston:

It does or will have most/if not all the facilities needed to host the olympics comfortably by that time. I'm leaning towards all.
    The amount of HOtels/motels in this city is astounding.
    We have to large airports, on being BUSH intercontinental the other HOBBY, while hobby isn't so large, it's still there.
    Also a large amount of food business. Houston is known for it's people eating out alot. I can testify to this :D And the food is varied.
    Houston HOwever is hot. ANd HUMID more importantly. I'm hoping that if they had it in houston that it would be more of an early spring. Or the visitors would hate us for sure!!!!

New York as sweet as the idea is i'm not all that in favor of it getting the olympics. Mostly because i'm already attached to the idea of my favorite big town getting it. And I do believe houston, much less another town in texas, has never hosted it. Having it another country, hey that might be kewl. I'd never get to go though. :( my personal vote slides towards the big H of course.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.