main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Should old people be allowed to drive?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Darth Punk , Apr 8, 2015.

1. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    I nearly got hit by some old fossil, and he was completely oblivious to it. Luckily he was only going about five miles an hour.

2. Saga Explorer

Saga Explorer Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 14, 2015
    Yes.Because someone was incompetent doesn't mean that every older person is.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I read a story about a 91-year-old who ran the San Diego Marathon. If an old person can do that (or even a 5K), there is no reason to take away his or her driver's license.

I'd be OK with requiring a medical exam for depth perception, etc. after a certain age but not arbitrarily taking licenses.

Saga Explorer likes this.
  4. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Anyone over the age of 60 should be required to take exams to test their vision and reflexes every year. If you fail, your license is suspended until you can pass that test.

5. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I'm thinking that too, but something more like Logan's Run if they fail

6. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Not sure about everyone over 60, I'm 56 and doubt even at 70 much less 60 I'd be one of those 'lil old people' I bitch about when I get behind them. Just yesterday I and a line of people were behind one driver going 45 in the middle lane on the freeway. As I passed my daughter made mention that the old man driver was bent so far over the steering wheel over she didn't think he could see out the windshield.

I do agree that there needs to be more exams of the elderly. I've a friend that was hit by a little old lady that turned right into her at an intersection and said she never saw her. Said friend now has permanent back issuers due to this.

7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    People under the age of 21, especially males, lack the cognitive skills for good judgment and empirically speaking are more reckless than anyone else. Not sure if they should be allowed to drive at all.

But as for the elderly, the ability to drive is a function of
    • experience
    • cognitive ability
    • vision
    • reaction time/reflexes
    • neck flexibility
    • arm and leg strength.

Everything but experience declines with age, and we all decline at our own unique rate according to our health and the settings on our biological clocks.

My guess is that people peak as drivers in their mid-to-late 50s, maybe in their 60s for healthier people. I'm sure someone has tried to plot that generalized point at which the benefits of increasing experience are overwhelmed by physical and cognitive decline, and people start to become worse drivers year-on-year.

There are tests for all these things. The AAA used to make a CD ROM that would let people self assess their functioning fairly comprehensively. Not sure what happened to that app or whether it ever made it online. But a vision test is completely insufficient to assess suitability for driving as of about the age of 70-75, depending on the individual.

8. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    A lot of states do have a vision screening test for all drivers, but it's not necessarily all that comprehensive. (Can you read this? Good you pass.) I do think there should be a screening, but saying that "old people" shouldn't be able to drive is a bit far. Taking someone's ability to drive is a big deal, that's a lot of independence you are taking away. I do think it needs to be done, but some disguntled DMV employee wouldn't be the best person to deal with such.

I don't know what age a more thorough screening should be done, because age isn't always indicitave of ability. I do think 60 is too young, maybe 70? 75?

9. Darth Punk

Nov 25, 2013
    I think my man was 80+

10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Like others said, I don't think there should be a set age limit. At a certain age, physical evaluations (eyes, hearing, reflexes, attention span, etc) and an actual driving test should begin. Licenses should be renewed based on ability, not age.

11. Ezio Skywalker

Ezio Skywalker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    There should be a reassessment test every few years. Florida sees dozens of car accidents and "silver alerts" all the time. But senior citizens are not the only people who should be reassessed. I've seen plenty of terrible middle aged drivers changing lanes abruptly without blinkers, tail gating in 20 mph school zones, merging without yielding, ignoring the rules of 4-way stops, etc.

In short, you drive around Disney World and you put your life in the hands of someone who thinks their GPS overrules traffic laws and common sense.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    No one should be allowed to drive. Most of us suck at it.

JoinTheSchwarz , tom and Debo like this.
  13. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I agree with harps - at a certain age people should be tested on actual driving skills again. My grandma is 80, still has her license, and definitely shouldn't.

In southern California, you are absolutely correct. I think about 20% of people here actually know the rules for a 4-way stop. It's unbelievable. No you can't just follow the person in front of you when they go!

14. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    Being elderly shouldn't matter on the whole. Perhaps at 75+ some should be retested for safety reasons otherwise there is no cause for ageism regarding driving rights.

15. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    People who complain about other drivers usually have lousy jobs. It's their way to blow off steam.

Ender Sai likes this.
  16. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    That's exactly it. No one here has been cut off in traffic by a lousy driver who nearly caused him/her to crash. It's all about our jobs being lousy.

17. Diggy

Diggy Chosen One star 8

Feb 27, 2013
    Debo didn't say we don't encounter bad drivers, he said we don't complain about them.

18. SithSense

SithSense Force Ghost star 4

Sep 29, 2002

Agreed, but I would take it one step further....as soon as you get your license, the physical evals and actual drivings tests should begin every four years.
    If you get your license at 16, congrats...just be sure you can do it again when you turn 20.

19. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    If there's one thing JCCers do best, it's complain.

20. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Well it's not practical to do road tests of everyone that often. However, could people at least come in and take an eye test, then do some kind of reaction time test as well as a written road rules test? Yes, probably.

Although now many accidents are caused by distracted driving, and there's no way to test for that. But we may as well limit the dangers as much as we can.

21. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    Old people are the worst!

22. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The actual question is, should they be allowed to live?

jp-30 and Debo like this.
  23. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    put a bunch of old people in cars and let them kill eachother, battle royale style. kill two birds with one stone.

darth_gersh likes this.
  24. darth_gersh

darth_gersh Force Ghost star 7

Feb 18, 2005
    That's how I want to go out epic.

epic likes this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hey - I'm sorta old...

Truth is, younger drivers are far worse drivers than older drivers AS A GROUP (insurance stats, I'm in the industry). The two groups have similar accident rates, but the severity is FAR worse for younger drivers - more severe injuries, fatalities and demolished vehicles. Teenagers are even worse than drivers 16-21.

If my mother ever seems unsafe to drive, betcha I'm going to let the DMV know they'd best retest her and if she's that bad and they allow her to keep her license, I'll hide her keys or something. In Washington, btw, they do mandatory retesting every so often but I'm not sure how often.