main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Should Padmé have had a theme?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by -Commander_Thigh-, Jul 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skyy38

skyy38 Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 26, 2003
    Finally got inspired enough to start writing "Padmes Theme" about a week ago-
    I nabbed 3 main tones from Princess Leia's Theme as a start point-It will pretty much follow the melancholy feeling of PLT with some hopeful bursts

2. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    I think the problem with Padme is that she simply wasn't an interesting enough character to have a theme of her own.

3. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    Comparisons of 'Across the Stars' and 'Han Solo and the Princess' make sense. Padme and Han get their themes solely by virtue of their connections to Anakin and Leia respectively. When one considers that the saga as a whole is about Anakin, and to an extent the twins, then this makes sense. However when one also considers that Jar Jar Binks has a theme of his own it seems a little unjust.

4. TheBoogieMan

TheBoogieMan Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 14, 2001
    But remember at the time it was thought that Jar Jar would be this fantastic character with a world-wide following (i.e. Supershadow)

We all know where that went...

5. nk1114

nk1114 Jedi Youngling

Aug 26, 2005
    I don't think it's that the PT is missing a lot of themes, I think that they just aren't used as much as they should be used. Take Anakin's theme for example, it was never used in episode 2, and only a couple of times in ep3...and it is also always very subtle, which many of the PT themes are. In the OT, themes were always more played-out and easier to identify.

And also, can someone plz explain to me why the trade federation theme was played when obiwan was getting his first glimse at the clones in ep2?

6. Tho Yor

Tho Yor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 27, 2001
    JW recognised that thematically, the Imperial March would've fit that scene better, but of course he wanted to save that for the end of the film. For musical effect I think the Trade Federation theme fits the scene very nicely.
    You can rationalise it in terms of themes though by saying that the Clones are a product of the war spurned on by the Separatists (i.e. Trade Federation).

7. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    but of course he wanted to save that for the end of the film.

No, he didn't.

8. Across-The-Stars

Across-The-Stars Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2005
    yeah but she had Across the stars love theme which COMPLETELY was indeed heart-warmiung 'cuz it talked about their forbidden loveeverytime i hear that song it makes me wanna cry:( b'cuz of what happened in ep. lll but there's also this theme called : Padme's ruminations and also the meadow picnic.

9. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
  10. General Kenobi

General Kenobi Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 31, 1998
    This thread is about a theme for Padmé. Since the main purpose of her character seems to be th elove of Anakin's life, "Across The Stars" serves as a defacto theme associated with Padmé. The merits of that are what's being debated here.

Just to finish the off-topic comment: It was Lucas who had Williams rescore the "Dawn Of The Empire" scene at the end of AOTC using the Imperial March.

11. Jedi_AnakinSolo

Jedi_AnakinSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 24, 2005
    yes, but i always think the love one is her's

12. Darth-Lutgerous

Darth-Lutgerous Jedi Master star 4

May 24, 2005
    I wish Padme had her own theme because every time I think of Across the Stars, I think of her relationship with Anakin and how it grows throughout the movie.

* If she did have her own theme, I think it would've been cool if John Williams added it into Anakin's theme to produce the love theme. A combination of themes can work really well and could've highlighted their love even more.

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002
    This thread is about a theme for Padmé. Since the main purpose of her character seems to be th elove of Anakin's life, "Across The Stars" serves as a defacto theme associated with Padmé. The merits of that are what's being debated here.

I always thought of Across the Stars as more of a theme of Anakin's love and feelings towards Padme. And I agree with others, Padme doesn't really need a theme. Throughout the movies she is more there to help along someone else's story line, not as a main independant character.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.